Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is there really any reason to fight to maintain FO?

Old Feb 11, 19, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, GM; HHonors, Gold

For the past 7 to 8 years or so, Iíve fought pretty hard to maintain FO on Delta, mainly due to free exit row, better availability of awards, and the extra miles and MQMís by making the Amex minimum spend. But I really donít know if I see an advantage anymore. I needed to do a same-day confirmed yesterday and they charged me the same amount they wouldíve charged any Skymile member. Thereís no priority boarding that just having the Amex wonít get me, And if I want extra legroom, I can just fork up a few extra bucks for +. In addition instead of hoarding horribly devalued Delta miles, I can put my spend toward Chase Sapphire. Thoughts?
Old Feb 11, 19, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by kimmielou01 View Post
For the past 7 to 8 years or so, Iíve fought pretty hard to maintain FO on Delta, mainly due to free exit row, better availability of awards, and the extra miles and MQMís by making the Amex minimum spend. But I really donít know if I see an advantage anymore. I needed to do a same-day confirmed yesterday and they charged me the same amount they wouldíve charged any Skymile member. Thereís no priority boarding that just having the Amex wonít get me, And if I want extra legroom, I can just fork up a few extra bucks for +. In addition instead of hoarding horribly devalued Delta miles, I can put my spend toward Chase Sapphire. Thoughts?
I will say it all the time, any status is better than no status. FO will at least get you a good bit more protection and help during IRROPS. In addition for the most part you can still use Sky Priority check in (with the exception of a few locations) and a minimum of one free checked bag is nice. (Unless you have the Delta Amex credit card and you get two)
vbjd1111, MSPeconomist and wxman22 like this.
Old Feb 11, 19, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL DM
Better award availability went away many years ago.
dlflyer00 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 19, 1:41 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Biggest benefits of FO

Free 70lb bag (credit card is 50) (plus anyone else on your reservation)
Preferred Seats at booking (ie exit row)
Some non hub airports with SkyPriority lines
Medallion line, although with lower call priority

Evaluate if these are worth it to you. If not, look at other methods of earning points, miles, etc.
Old Feb 11, 19, 1:44 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Marriott Gold
Platinum
Automatic comfort plus upgrades... often at booking
Early seating
Extra mileage credit miles
And I just got lounge access at two international terminals on KLM on a coach ticket -- AMS is incredible BTW
Very worth it for me
Old Feb 11, 19, 1:45 pm

It depends on how hard you are fighting to keep FO and how much value you receive. Add up the value of benefits you receive annually (upgrades, free checked bags) and compare that to how much extra you are spending to keep FO. If the value of benefits is > than your extra cost, its definitely worthwhile to maintain FO for the intangible benefits such as better IRROPs priority, priority checkin, and occasional waivers and favors.
Old Feb 11, 19, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by vincentharris View Post
I will say it all the time, any status is better than no status. FO will at least get you a good bit more protection and help during IRROPS. In addition for the most part you can still use Sky Priority check in (with the exception of a few locations) and a minimum of one free checked bag is nice. (Unless you have the Delta Amex credit card and you get two)
I agree with this, generally. If you're realistic about what your functional benefits will be as FO, I think the greatest jump in benefits received is still from no status to FO.

However, I think a lot of it comes down to how much you're flying Delta and how you're gaining status in the first place. If you are normally getting almost 15k MQM by flying three JFK-LAX-JFK round-trips per year and then hitting the MQM bonus on AMEX and doing a mileage run, you may not really be getting enough out of it to be worthwhile. As someone who spent several years closer to qualifying by segments rather than miles, though, I found it worth a little extra effort to maintain status to make the 10-12 intra-Midwest trips I would normally take be a little nicer and have better service during winter snow events.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 11, 19, 2:08 pm

The ability to book priority main cabin seating at booking alone is worth having FO.
wxman22 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 19, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by DCAproducer View Post
Biggest benefits of FO

Free 70lb bag (credit card is 50) (plus anyone else on your reservation)
Pretty sure this is only for within USA/Canada. When I flew to Mexico as an FO, it stated check two 50lb bags for free.
Old Feb 11, 19, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by wombat757 View Post
Platinum
Automatic comfort plus upgrades... often at booking
Early seating
Extra mileage credit miles
And I just got lounge access at two international terminals on KLM on a coach ticket -- AMS is incredible BTW
Very worth it for me
yes, Platinum is a big step up from silver, which the OP is inquiring about
Old Feb 11, 19, 3:23 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, United Plat, Amex Plat, Hotels.com Gold, Hertz 5 star, WMATA smartrip card
Originally Posted by The Situation View Post
It depends on how hard you are fighting to keep FO and how much value you receive. Add up the value of benefits you receive annually (upgrades, free checked bags) and compare that to how much extra you are spending to keep FO. If the value of benefits is > than your extra cost, its definitely worthwhile to maintain FO for the intangible benefits such as better IRROPs priority, priority checkin, and occasional waivers and favors.
And you left out the greatest intangible of all : the sense of dignity and self worth that comes from having airline status

(i'm only half joking)
GagaPilot, strickerj, ryw and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 11, 19, 4:20 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Every time I fly another airline without status, I realize that even some status is usually better than no status. Silver Medallion on DL is enough to take flying from "miserable" to "bearable". At just about any airport, FO status will either get your a dedicated FO check-in line (usually hubs and the busiest outstations) or you'll be able to use the SkyPriority line. IROPS protection and the "faster" phone line (especially in IROPS) can be big perks over non-status. Preferred seats (including exit rows) is another big plus, at least for me, that would keep me chasing at least FO status. I even get quite a few military perks over non-status passengers when on other airlines and yet flying another airline without status on that airline can still be a pretty miserable experience.
olegator, MSPeconomist and wxman22 like this.
Old Feb 11, 19, 4:37 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Delta Tupperware Medallion, National EE
May I ask what FO stands for? TIA.
Old Feb 11, 19, 4:45 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Originally Posted by eric_o View Post
May I ask what FO stands for? TIA.
Flies Often. aka Silver Medallions
strickerj and eric_o like this.
Old Feb 11, 19, 4:45 pm

If you have to 'fight to maintain FO' you probably aren't flying enough for the benefits to be worth all that much.

Search this Thread