Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SEA-HKT - PS on A350 vs. Delta One on 767?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip from SEA-HKT in April of this year and I'm trying to decide on the best flight options on a mixed-class itinerary. The two primary choices are:

1: SEA-MSP-PVG-HKT, with the SEA-PVG in Main Cabin on the A359 and PS on the return; this option is about $1400 (Or could do PS round trip for $2100).

2: SEA-ICN-HKT, with SEA-ICN in Main Cabin on the outbound 763 flight (and the connecting ICN-HKT flight on KE in an A333). Return would be in Business on KE from HKT-ICN and Delta one on the 763 from ICN-SEA. This option is about $2200.

The debate is between flying on PS on the new A350 vs. what seems to be the most hated Delta One seat in the fleet, aboard the 767-300. $2200 for a 11-12 hour flight in D1, as well as the 6 hour flight in Business aboard KE, seems like a decent price, but I've never flown international D1 or PS. Obviously PS is not a lie-flat, so the D1 option has that advantage, albeit with the limitations of the narrow, coffin-like seats on the 763. The other drawback to the PS itinerary is the additional stop, including the 6-hour flight PVG-HKT (and vice-versa) which is on a Shanghai Airlines 737-800. Not sure about the rest of you, but a 6-hour flight on a 737 in Economy (with zero chance at an UG) sounds like my version of hell. I'd love to try the new PS product on the Delta flagship A350 but not sure if it's worth the extra stop and long leg on a 737. Additionally, I'm guessing my GM/ST Elite + status gains me some type of international lounge access either way; not sure if there's any difference in which lounges I'd have access to on the two options?

Would appreciate feedback from anyone who's experienced a trans-Pac in D1 aboard a 767 and/or PS on the A350. What say ye, FT?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Fly another airline. You have lots of better options from SEA on Asian carriers.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by SFO777
Fly another airline. You have lots of better options from SEA on Asian carriers.
I realize DL's trans-Pac options are pretty abysmal, but I'm a fairly loyal DL flier and doubt this will happen. I did just get a status match with UA, so I suppose that is another possibility, although they were significantly more expensive on this route the last time I checked.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Understand. If you want to keep it in the family, check out the FT premium fare deal thread.
LAX-AMS-BKK round trip Business on DL/KL for only $2,100. Earns lots of miles. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prem...t-2100usd.html
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
Understand. If you want to keep it in the family, check out the FT premium fare deal thread.
LAX-AMS-BKK round trip Business on DL/KL for only $2,100. Earns lots of miles. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prem...t-2100usd.html
This is good info; thanks. Guess I'd have to figure out how to get from BKK-HKT, although I'm guessing I could find a relatively affordable flight on another airline. Question: how would I go about booking this while crediting miles to DL? I've not yet booked any International partner flights, but understand that this is a great way to earn additional MQDs/MQMs. Would I simply book via KLM but add my Skymiles #?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If you're not more than six feet tall or 220 pounds the D1 seat on the 767 is an easy choice.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you're not more than six feet tall or 220 pounds the D1 seat on the 767 is an easy choice.
This was my thought as well. I've seen a lot of folks make the comment "I'd rather be in Y than sit in this seat", but I suspect that's all just talk. I can't see turning down a lie-flat on a flight that long, under many (if any) circumstances. Was just curious how the PS on the A359 compared.
Duke787 and WhiskeyBravo like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It's sized like domestic F, with a nice avod monitor.

Sea-icn-hkt can be a nice, 2-segment 21 hour journey. Sea-lax-ams-bkk-hkt is at best 37 hours. No thanks- no how.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
PS on the A350 is D1 level food with a comfortable, but narrow seat. The center armrest is about half the width of a domestic F armrest, so that makes up a little for the narrow seats.
Expect domestic "F" level recline. It's nowhere near a lie-flat. The footrest is pretty useless if you are taller than 5'10".
The air quality and ride of the A350 is an obvious advantage over the 767, though.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
LAX is a terrible connection and a bunch of overflying. Look north to YVR, it's an easy drive, especially if you have a NEXUS card.

MU ILX0ZYRN is pricing to about US$2100 and isn't bad with the connection in PVG. No idea when you want to travel, there are some blackout dates for this fare.

There are also one stop flights from YVR to BKK in the $2k range and it's under $100 for a RT BKK-HKT ticket. BKK is a fun city, I'd go there en route to HKT, which in my opinion is maybe a nice beach but you're missing the experience of Bangkok.

If you are interested in Prem Y, there are a number of decent options. $1300ish for YVR-HKT and $1000ish for YVR-BKK
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stephem
There are also one stop flights from YVR to BKK in the $2k range and it's under $100 for a RT BKK-HKT ticket. BKK is a fun city, I'd go there en route to HKT, which in my opinion is maybe a nice beach but you're missing the experience of Bangkok.
If you are interested in Prem Y, there are a number of decent options. $1300ish for YVR-HKT and $1000ish for YVR-BKK
Excellent idea. $1,200 for EVA Premium Economy! 20.5" and 38"

Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL DM
Get row 1 on the 767. I don't think there should even me a question. The worst d1 seat beats the best ps seat
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow
Get row 1 on the 767. I don't think there should even me a question. The worst d1 seat beats the best ps seat
I would agree with this statement completely. I wouldn’t choose it over the A330 or D1 Suites but, if available, 1A and 1D on the 767 are actually pretty comfortable IMO. And I’d take anything D1 with lie-flat over PS without hesitation.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bubbashow
I'd even take an angled-flat business (e.g., much of AF) over a premium economy seat if those were the only choices.

Business class >>>> premium economy. Period.
CarmenOM likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mspdoc

I would agree with this statement completely. I wouldn’t choose it over the A330 or D1 Suites but, if available, 1A and 1D on the 767 are actually pretty comfortable IMO. And I’d take anything D1 with lie-flat over PS without hesitation.
However, if OP is traveling with girlfriend, they should pick the two center seats (B and C in the same row) in order to sit together on the flight. It's not a SQ double bed suite, but these seats are still good for conversation during dinner, hand holding, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.