Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is there really any reason to fight to maintain FO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there really any reason to fight to maintain FO?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MarkP24
I don't see significant value in FO as you can get most of the benefits from a credit card.
.....until you get stranded in a snowstorm or meltdown.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
.....until you get stranded in a snowstorm or meltdown.
Someone who is struggling to maintain FO isn't flying that often, so to push themselves to maintain it in the event of IRROPS wouldn't be worth it to me. Yes there are benefits to FO such as the very rare upgrade or the possibility to sit in C+ (clearing 24 hours out....) which you don't get from a credit card, but that's not something I would fight for. If you want the seat in C+ or F, I would pay for it, and in the event of IRROPS, FO will also presumably have a long phone queue...
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
I think there are some more factors that come into play. I'm an AA 1MM flyer but have transitioned to DL since living in ATL. However, my overall travel still remains on oneworld for international flights. This is my first year I've made FO.

As a DL PLT cardholder, I find that lack of status hasn't hurt me in any discernible way during irrops. However, I almost always pay for C+ or F. I may be downgraded to Y if I'm rerouted, but it's the way it is... and I end up with a refund and sometimes miles depending on the situation. Last year I flew 20 segments and 30k miles on DL. Now that I'm FO, I did get a complimentary upgrade on Superbowl Monday from C+ to F, which was nice... the seat had been sold for a $250 premium above C+ when I purchased the ticket, which wasn't worth it for me given the 3 hour flight length. However, as an FO, I'm usually #62 on the upgrade list (just kind of kidding).

How much would I pay for FO? Not more than $250 above my natural spend. But, that's just me... YMMV.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:14 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
I have asked myself this question many times. I've found that to me it IS worth it, for that slight chance you have IRROPS or something unforeseen happen. Any status is better than no status. Once I started focusing as much spend as I can on my DL Amex I have found I easily make it with the waiver. This past year I made GM because of some extra vacation travel, but can realistically see making at least Silver for the foreseeable future as long as the 25K waiver does not increase. I fly DL mostly for leisure. I'm an airline Captain that does NOT normally do non-revving... can't stand the uncertainty lol.

I will say that over the last year hardly any frontline DL employee acknowledged/thanked me for Silver Status. That has noticeably changed since becoming GM.
I have noticed over the last year hardly any frontline DL employees acknowledged/thanked me for PM or DM, so I would say its employees dont care.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by bloc0102
Pretty sure this is only for within USA/Canada. When I flew to Mexico as an FO, it stated check two 50lb bags for free.
That is everybody (FO, GM, PM, & DM) you only get 50 lbs a bag outside the US/Canada, only D1 gets 70 lbs outside the US/Canada.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: DL PM
Someone who is struggling to maintain FO isn't flying that often, so to push themselves to maintain it in the event of IRROPS wouldn't be worth it to me. Yes there are benefits to FO such as the very rare upgrade or the possibility to sit in C+ (clearing 24 hours out....) which you don't get from a credit card, but that's not something I would fight for. If you want the seat in C+ or F, I would pay for it, and in the event of IRROPS, FO will also presumably have a long phone queue...
I think it’s a misconception that people at the lowest rung of an FFP don’t fly much.

I was Gold on AA (the equivalent of Silver at DL) flying every two weeks for awhile! From a hub, nonstop flights just under 500 miles. Fares usually pretty high because of the lack of competition on the route. And that alone wouldn’t have even gotten me Gold, I needed the occasional longer flight to even achieve that!

Yet on FT I was told I flew “seldom.”
DiverDave likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by TXguy

I think it’s a misconception that people at the lowest rung of an FFP don’t fly much.

I was Gold on AA (the equivalent of Silver at DL) flying every two weeks for awhile! From a hub, nonstop flights just under 500 miles. Fares usually pretty high because of the lack of competition on the route. And that alone wouldn’t have even gotten me Gold, I needed the occasional longer flight to even achieve that!

Yet on FT I was told I flew “seldom.”
Gotcha. You may be the exception though not the norm
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Don't forget preferred seats like exit rows.

And if that IRROPS call is even 2 min quicker and that's the difference between grabbing the last seat on a new flight or spending the night at some random place, we'll...

Gotcha. You may be the exception though not the norm
I don't think it's exception or norm. Just different. I first earned FO flying ATL-LGA or ATL-IAD every other week. There was definitely a big difference in having FO vs. nothing, even with a DL Amex. There are lots of people who fly almost exclusively short haul.

Basically, FO can be very worthwhile for some people while almost meaningless for others.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
Don't forget preferred seats like exit rows.

And if that IRROPS call is even 2 min quicker and that's the difference between grabbing the last seat on a new flight or spending the night at some random place, we'll...

I don't think it's exception or norm. Just different. I first earned FO flying ATL-LGA or ATL-IAD every other week. There was definitely a big difference in having FO vs. nothing, even with a DL Amex. There are lots of people who fly almost exclusively short haul.

Basically, FO can be very worthwhile for some people while almost meaningless for others.
I hear that. While I certainly wouldn't fight to maintain it, different people will have different values.
gooselee likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.