Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is there really any reason to fight to maintain FO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there really any reason to fight to maintain FO?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by eric_o
May I ask what FO stands for? TIA.
It's the abbreviation for Silver Medallion. "SM" isn't used so as to avoid confusion with "SkyMiles". I believe FO comes from "Flying Orchid".
An old FT thread explaining the origins of "FO": What is an “FO?”
strickerj, wxman22 and eric_o like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by vincentharris
I will say it all the time, any status is better than no status. FO will at least get you a good bit more protection and help during IRROPS. In addition for the most part you can still use Sky Priority check in (with the exception of a few locations) and a minimum of one free checked bag is nice. (Unless you have the Delta Amex credit card and you get two)
The question isn't 'Is FO better than nothing', the question is whether FO is worth struggling to achieve or spending extra time/money for.

Personally I say no, it isn't. Unless you have a lot of MQM and a little spend of MQD gets you FO and 20k of rollover, or something like that.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by bost
If you have to 'fight to maintain FO' you probably aren't flying enough for the benefits to be worth all that much.
Maybe, maybe not. One could easily be a hub captive flying routes of about 833 MQMs or less (the "break even distance" for 30 segments to 25,000 MQMs), which is still a 2 to 2.5 hour flight (such as ATL-LGA and back, which is 762 miles) and even if one does that once a month, they could easily be flying 12-14 times a year and not quite hitting status in MQMs or MQSs, unless they build in some connections at some point to get the extra MQMs or MQSs or get AmEx spend to get over the threshold. Wouldn't surprise me if there are many such routes out of NYC or other hubs such as SEA, LAX, DTW, etc. where many passengers fly frequently (once a month) but are flying short distances so on just MQMs and MQSs they aren't hitting the thresholds.

ETA: One also may be hitting MQM or MQS thresholds but not the MQD thresholds. They may be flying cheap fares. This only means DL doesn't see benefit in giving them FO status, but they may still be flying enough that the passenger would benefit from FO benefits if they could get across the threshold. The flight experience day of is the same whether you're buying cheap X fares or Full Y fares.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Feb 11, 2019 at 5:29 pm
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Because you can do this: FO Turns Down Upgrade to 1st Class. Huh?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: DL DM
I have asked myself this question many times. I've found that to me it IS worth it, for that slight chance you have IRROPS or something unforeseen happen. Any status is better than no status. Once I started focusing as much spend as I can on my DL Amex I have found I easily make it with the waiver. This past year I made GM because of some extra vacation travel, but can realistically see making at least Silver for the foreseeable future as long as the 25K waiver does not increase. I fly DL mostly for leisure. I'm an airline Captain that does NOT normally do non-revving... can't stand the uncertainty lol.

I will say that over the last year hardly any frontline DL employee acknowledged/thanked me for Silver Status. That has noticeably changed since becoming GM.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:52 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I've asked myself the same thing and debated about whether I should just get the DL Amex instead, as someone who gets a decent amount of MQMs, but would fall short on MQDs from my normal travel patterns. Last year I thought FO was worth it enough to do a quick flight run at the end of the year to get enough MQDs over the threshold. Between C+ upgrades on most flights (and the short haul F upgrades), the Sky Priority lanes at most stations, checked bag allowance, and not-quite-as-slow phone service, for my travel patterns spending the extra to make FO for 2019 was worth it for me.

I'll also note that the priority economy seats are a nice FO benefit, although my employer's booking portal allows us to select those seats for free (but I can see how valuable that can be for others, particularly free exit row seats).

Also on the plus side, FO gets b(r)ag tags now?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
How much $ out of pocket are you spending to retain Silver?

How many flights are you taking in a year on Delta and other ST carriers where you can reap some (if not all) benefits as offered for being a Silver?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by bloc0102
Pretty sure this is only for within USA/Canada. When I flew to Mexico as an FO, it stated check two 50lb bags for free.
Within US and Canada.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...p/checked.html
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by kimmielou01
For the past 7 to 8 years or so, I’ve fought pretty hard to maintain FO on Delta, mainly due to free exit row, better availability of awards, and the extra miles and MQM’s by making the Amex minimum spend. But I really don’t know if I see an advantage anymore. I needed to do a same-day confirmed yesterday and they charged me the same amount they would’ve charged any Skymile member. There’s no priority boarding that just having the Amex won’t get me, And if I want extra legroom, I can just fork up a few extra bucks for +. In addition instead of hoarding horribly devalued Delta miles, I can put my spend toward Chase Sapphire. Thoughts?
A few things
1) I don’t believe FO (or most Delta status) gives you better availability of award space (someone correct me if I am wrong)
2) Extra miles and MQM are a function of meeting Amex spend of $25K, not of making FO. And the extra MQM are only valuable if you are very need that MQM boost to make FO
3) I would say checked bags are another FO benefit, but you seem to have a least one Amex card that gives you bags
4) As an FO I am Comfort Plus basically 100% of the time, which gives you higher boarding than a credit card now

All that said, a few things in your post make me think it may not be worth it for you to “push” for FO. You focus a lot on earning extra Skymiles, then more they are devalued. If you are doing this mainly to earn extra Skymiles, it may not be worth it for you. Spend the $25,000 on another card, use whatever Delta miles you have on flights and even upgrades. You may be better off that way.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Adelphos

A few things
1) I don’t believe FO (or most Delta status) gives you better availability of award space (someone correct me if I am wrong)
2) Extra miles and MQM are a function of meeting Amex spend of $25K, not of making FO. And the extra MQM are only valuable if you are very need that MQM boost to make FO
3) I would say checked bags are another FO benefit, but you seem to have a least one Amex card that gives you bags
4) As an FO I am Comfort Plus basically 100% of the time, which gives you higher boarding than a credit card now

All that said, a few things in your post make me think it may not be worth it for you to “push” for FO. You focus a lot on earning extra Skymiles, then more they are devalued. If you are doing this mainly to earn extra Skymiles, it may not be worth it for you. Spend the $25,000 on another card, use whatever Delta miles you have on flights and even upgrades. You may be better off that way.
Extra MQMs are valuable for rollover (unless of course you qualify on segments). This requires at least earned FO status.

FOs earn extra RDMs on every paid flight, IIRC seven pre MQD instead of five RDMs per MQD.

Extra award availability for elites ended several years ago, IIRC when the award charts were abolished and all award tickets went to dynamic pricing.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
To question further, if on all paid tickets you only fly first or D1, is there any advantage in having status at all?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cayohueso
To question further, if on all paid tickets you only fly first or D1, is there any advantage in having status at all?
Yes, as people have been saying, it matters in IROPs and even the FO phone "line" is better than phone service provided for general customers.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Depends how much you have to "fight" for it. But one IRROP experience can more than pay for a small effort to reach FO vs. no status.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by cayohueso
If you have an FO luggage tag you can upset people who think you skipped the Medallion upgrade queue!

Having FO even as an F/D1 flier doesn't really get you anything. But sometimes even if you want to fly F, you might end up on a CRJ-200. And I don't know you but even as someone who often flies F, if it's a 1 hour flight like LAX-PHX or LAX-LAS, I'd rather have the FO status and buy Y, retaining my boarding and baggage privileges.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I don't see significant value in FO as you can get most of the benefits from a credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.