Wiki Posts
Search

Best Option for ATL - DEL in J

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
Best Option for ATL - DEL in J

I need to go to New Delhi for work the week after next. Trying to figure my best option from Atlanta. I will be flying business class on a paid fare. As far as I can tell my options are to connect in either CDG or AMS.

CDG
Options for the ATL - CDG leg are DL 777-200ER advertised as having the "suites" or AF 777-300ER, which based on the seat map looks to be the older 2-3-2 configuration. Connection from CDG - DEL is also a 777-300ER with 2-3-2 across. Oddly the Delta website shows business class availability on both the Delta ATL-CDG leg and the the AF CDG-DEL leg when I search for those flights as separate tickets. However, when searching ATL - DEL, the Delta flight out of ATL shows sold out in biz and the only option that comes up is AF on both legs. I'm wondering if this is because the DL suites are "J" class while the AF business class come up as "C"? Also, I'm assuming 2hrs25min is enough time to connect in CDG?

AMS
Options for the ATL - AMS leg are KLM 787-900 or Delta A330-300. Options for the AMS - DEL leg include Jet Airways codeshare on a 777-300ER (which may be sold out the days I need to go) or KL 777-300, which based on the seatmap looks to be 2-2-2 across.

What would you do? Connect in CDG or AMS? Add a 2nd connection somewhere else? Fly a different airline and skip the MQM's? (United flies direct EWR - DEL). Insight and opinions welcome. Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
AMS. All KL long hauls have lie-flats, if the AF 777 is showing 2-3-2 it's angle flat which makes the choice easy in this case.
Beltway2A likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Don’t forget you can also fly USA-LHR-DEL on VS.
kthomas likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Qatar Airways.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
The KL product through AMS is far superior in my mind.

But I've only walked through the front of AF plane, I've not sat in it.

The quality of service in KL has dropped off pretty sharply in recent years IMO but I happy with my KL AMS-DEL service last year.

In terms of the layover the SC in AMS is ok and CDG is good.

I highly recommend getting a shower in DEL, and enjoying the buffet. One of the better SCs IMO.

I can't image not getting the flight credit for paid J. Use the KL product
Also, you're probably right about AF being C, if that is what you're seeing. I think that is what I was seeing too.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Qatar Airways.
No idea how much you value the miles, but this is clearly the best option--not only will the product be better, but you'll have a much longer transatlantic flight on which to get a good night's sleep.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Wimsta
The KL product through AMS is far superior in my mind.

But I've only walked through the front of AF plane, I've not sat in it.

The quality of service in KL has dropped off pretty sharply in recent years IMO but I happy with my KL AMS-DEL service last year.

In terms of the layover the SC in AMS is ok and CDG is good.

I highly recommend getting a shower in DEL, and enjoying the buffet. One of the better SCs IMO.

I can't image not getting the flight credit for paid J. Use the KL product
Also, you're probably right about AF being C, if that is what you're seeing. I think that is what I was seeing too.

there is no SC in DEL. Was that a typo?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
I would fly KL. The 787 from ATL to AMS will give you better humidity and air pressure, all important when you’re doing a 3 continent trip. For AMS - DEL, KL’s 777 isn’t grounding-breaking but it’s perfectly fine. The seats are offset and have a little, metal-grill privacy divider, so your seatmate isn’t that intrusive. I would stick with KL metal rather than the Jet Airways codeshare.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by suvayanr

Or in AMS and CDG 😉
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by DARBgone
Options for the AMS - DEL leg include Jet Airways codeshare on a 777-300ER (which may be sold out the days I need to go) or KL 777-300, which based on the seatmap looks to be 2-2-2 across. .
Be VERY careful: if you book the Jet Airways codeshare with KL flight numbers, you will earn 0 miles. If you book it with Jet or Delta flight numbers, you will earn full miles.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:27 am
Used to be hamajicky

We flew VIrgin ATL-LHR-DEL in J. It was great. A340 ATL-LHR was not great, not bad. Service and food was good. Somewhat long layover at LHR, but you can spend it at the Clubhouse, or take the train to the city for a while.

LHR-DEL on a 788 that leaves at night and arrives in DEL at noon is very nice. Most other airlines arrive into DEL at 2am, which is miserable.

Some folks don't like the seating arrangement on VS, but I didn't have a problem with it.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Chalky White
We flew VIrgin ATL-LHR-DEL in J. It was great. A340 ATL-LHR was not great, not bad. Service and food was good
Virgin’s A340s are getting a bit long in the tooth now, what was it you weren’t keen on? The Clubhouse at LHR is a great place to spend time, champagne just slips down. 🍾🍾🍾
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:59 am
Used to be hamajicky

A340: Small lavs (as compared to 787), loud (esp. compared to 787), and no USB ports. You have to plug in an adaptor about the size of a deck of cards to charge your device. Also, the IFE is not touch screen and is low-resolution.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by suvayanr

Sorry, lounge, not Sky Club, but you can use it with Delta, great showers and food. The international lounge in DEL is one of the nicest I've experienced.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by krispy84

Or in AMS and CDG 😉
Yes, I meant lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.