Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade with Miles - MQM Bonus?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta KM/DM, Hyatt GP Plat, HHonors Gold
Upgrade with Miles - MQM Bonus?

I upgraded my MSP-SFO flight using miles just before checking in online. The confirmation email reads in part "Upgraded tickets are eligible for additional mileage, MQM, and MQD accruals due to the selection of Delta Comfort+ or First/Delta One and associated fare classes". I took this to mean I would receive the 50% MQM bonus for that segment but I did not.

I submitted a Contact Us and received this response: "I see that you received an upgrade by redeeming SkyMiles which is not eligible to earn bonus MQMs".

Did I just misunderstand?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
yes. when you pay for an upgrade with cash you are booked into the new fare class and receive the appropriate MQM for that class. when you use miles you are placed into an upgrade fare class which is not eligible
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta KM/DM, Hyatt GP Plat, HHonors Gold
Thank you for the clarification.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You also get the additional MQMs if you use pay with miles to pay the fare difference when you purchase the ticket. It's a variant of FCM and the ticket (alsmot always) is a G A P fare.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
I'm confused here, I appreciate the responses, I'll be flying in a similar situation soon.

I used miles and my flight shows:
"FIRST CLASS (Z) "

Am I to understand that I will not accrue miles to this fare class? Did the OP need to see what fare class was assigned after the UG or is something missing?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How many miles did you pay for the upgrade? Was this an offer on the app or at the time you purchased the ticket? Or did you call DL and request a mileage upgrade award? The Z fare class looks to me like it should be a FCM upgrade using pay with miles.
gooselee likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
I was always under the impression that if you “bought” the upgrade (with $ or miles), and the original ticket was paid using $, that...

1- You recieved the 200% MQM bonus if you “bought” the upgrade prior to T-24/check-in,

2- You did NOT recieve the bonus if the upgrade was bought after T-24/check-in.

Reason being, the system assumed you were complimentary upgraded after T-24 and processed it that way. Someone please correct me if this is incorrect.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:43 am

Prior to T-24, if you buy the upgrade by paying a fare difference or taking a special offer on the app to pay some additional money, you should get the additional MQMs, although usually it's 150% not 200% as upfaring into FULL F of FULL C is likely to be very expensive. The same is true if instead of paying such price differences with money, you use miles instead.

You generally don't get additional MQMs for upgrades purchased (with miles or money) at check in or at the gate, meaning T-24 or closer to the flight.

However, you can also upgrade DL tickets at some fixed number of miles depending on your fare class and the route. These mileage upgrade awards are normally not eligible for the additional MQMs. Usually they require some round number of miles, maybe 45,000 rather than 18,900 and they normally book into some inventory class that looks like a variation on award ticket inventory, not regular paid (but discounted of course) fare class, for example Osomething where O is a "saver"/"low" business class award ticket and OU would be a free elite upgrade (on routes that permit them) although DL has been changing its fare classes again.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: DL PM
So if I upgraded a G fare (Premium Select) to D1 with miles, I will still get the 150% MQM bonus (which is also offered with the Prem Select fare)?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by DLX5
So if I upgraded a G fare (Premium Select) to D1 with miles, I will still get the 150% MQM bonus (which is also offered with the Prem Select fare)?
Probably, but you could also pay lots more to upfare to FULL F or FULL J/C to get 200% MQMs.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL PM
No, 45K was enough. I know the ticket was re-issued, and now says fare class OY. But for MQM calculation, they should use the original fare (G) as I understand it. Seems to be much confusion on the part of SkyMiles desk from what I have read on FT.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by DLX5
No, 45K was enough. I know the ticket was re-issued, and now says fare class OY. But for MQM calculation, they should use the original fare (G) as I understand it. Seems to be much confusion on the part of SkyMiles desk from what I have read on FT.
Yes, MQMs should be based on the G fare you purchased: 150%.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How many miles did you pay for the upgrade? Was this an offer on the app or at the time you purchased the ticket? Or did you call DL and request a mileage upgrade award? The Z fare class looks to me like it should be a FCM upgrade using pay with miles.
It was through the app after the purchase 8900miles IIRC.

I just wanted make sure I have this straight, otherwise I may just cash instead of miles in the future. It is the first UG I have paid for with DL, so I'm a complete rookie here.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Wimsta
It was through the app after the purchase 8900miles IIRC.

I just wanted make sure I have this straight, otherwise I may just cash instead of miles in the future. It is the first UG I have paid for with DL, so I'm a complete rookie here.
The 8900 miles looks like a FCM pay with miles upgrade with an alternative cost of about $89 to upgrade. My understanding is that doing such an upgrade before T-24 should result in the 150% MQM earning as your ticket was probably reissued in G class or whatever the new code is for deeply discounted domestic FC, which I guess now means Z class. You'll earn MQDs based on the fare that was paid with money.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
There is a lot of confusion in this thread.
  • You earn an MQM bonus based on your fare class. Period.
  • It has nothing to do with what time you booked your ticket (T-24, etc).
  • Delta offers several different ways to upgrade using Sky Miles. Some of those methods upgrade into a fare class that earns an MQM bonus, and some upgrade into an award fare class.
  • Award fare classes are not eligible for MQM's, though if you purchased a coach fare with cash, you will still earn those MQM's, but not the first class bonus.
  • Miles that are used in place of cash (the amount of miles is tied to the cash upgrade price) to upgrade should earn MQM's.
  • This is all very confusing for most customers, so the best thing to do is to call and ask about the class you will be upgraded into, and if that class earns MQMs. Complicating this further is the problem that many agents are not very proficient in all of this.
krakendown and gooselee like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.