FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Best D1 option to Tokyo? 777 or a350? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1955644-best-d1-option-tokyo-777-a350.html)

injera Feb 10, 2019 5:08 pm

Best D1 option to Tokyo? 777 or a350?

I will be flying D1 EWR-XXX-TYO in May. I can fly the a350 from Detroit to Narita or the 777 from Minneapolis to Haneda. Both appear to have the Delta suites, but as the a350 is a newer plane is it a much better experience??

All else being equal i'd rather fly to Haneda so would prefer to fly through MSP but if the a350 experience is notably better i'll sacrificean extra 30 minutes getting into the city for a better inflight experience. Flight costs are the same.

Or is there a better option?

Thanks in advance for your help.

BenA Feb 10, 2019 5:31 pm

Arriving at HND outweighs any difference in the aircraft between the suites 777 and the A350. The 359 has slightly better cabin pressure, while the 777 has air vents for the middle seats. The 350 reportedly has annoyingly small lavatories. Uh, maybe the 350 has an espresso maker when the F/As remember it’s there?

Super minor differences; I’d book on schedule and airports in this case.

soxfanndc Feb 10, 2019 5:36 pm

Ditto. Proximity to the City trumps aircraft selection for me, in this case. PLUS I'm in a minority as I prefer the 777 so I'd choose the MSP option.

injera Feb 10, 2019 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by soxfanndc (Post 30762540)
Ditto. Proximity to the City trumps aircraft selection for me, in this case. PLUS I'm in a minority as I prefer the 777 so I'd choose the MSP option.

thanks. I guess msp it is.

Lux Flyer Feb 10, 2019 10:38 pm

Keep in mind the 777s were more recently refit then the 350s coming in new. So in terms of interior; 777 should be "newer" (by weeks/months) even though the 350 is the "newer plane"

Duke787 Feb 10, 2019 11:03 pm

Also the 777 is a slightly wider plane so the same D1 suite should be slightly wider on the 777 vs. A350. According to TPG " Each [D1 Suite] is 21 inches wide and up to 81 inches long on the A350. They are 22-24 inches wide and up to 79 inches long on the 777."

Downside of course is you don't have the next-gen cabin pressure but YMMV on that front (haven't flown A350, only 787 where I did notice the reduced cabin pressure on the UA 787 on LAX - SYD vs. the 777 I flew on DL coming home)

Nicksta Feb 11, 2019 2:38 am

My last 2 flights on the A350 saw D1 run out of space in the overhead bins. Because there are no center aisle bins, the sides fill up quickly. I’ve seen people waiting to disembark because their bags were stored in Y.

pfreet Feb 11, 2019 6:01 am

I've not flown the A350 yet, but I like the idea of no center bins creating a more open feeling. Of course, as the poster above says, they could fill up.

MSPeconomist Feb 11, 2019 6:17 am

I've tried the D1 suites on both the 777 and A350 and didn't notice any difference in the seat, although on my particular flights it seemed harder for people to find enough overhead bin space on the A350, although I suspect people just had more carry on bags on that route.

For Tokyo departures, NRT has better lounges.

IMO, the choice between airports depends on how you plan to go to/from the airport and your particular hotel. Check the limobus schedules carefully if that is your preferred means of transportation as some hotels only have service for one airport (for example, Andaz is HND only) or the schedule won't work for your flight times. NRT is obviously farther, but I've always enjoyed the ride to see some of the countryside and even some cherry blossoms or fall leaves at the right time of year.

dcadwell Feb 11, 2019 7:40 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30764066)
I've tried the D1 suites on both the 777 and A350 and didn't notice any difference in the seat, although on my particular flights it seemed harder for people to find enough overhead bin space on the A350, although I suspect people just had more carry on bags on that route.

For Tokyo departures, NRT has better lounges.

IMO, the choice between airports depends on how you plan to go to/from the airport and your particular hotel. Check the limobus schedules carefully if that is your preferred means of transportation as some hotels only have service for one airport (for example, Andaz is HND only) or the schedule won't work for your flight times. NRT is obviously farther, but I've always enjoyed the ride to see some of the countryside and even some cherry blossoms or fall leaves at the right time of year.

Agree that the ride from NRT into the city is quite nice.

bjohnsonmn Feb 16, 2019 8:12 pm

Or, you can do why my buddy and I are doing and taking the 777 out, the 350 back, both through HND! (Our return is through LAX, gotta get that In-N-Out!)

HND IS very convenient where you will be riding the monorail into the city with a bunch of other travelers with bags. The train out to NRT is interesting as are some of the rarely discussed sights in NRT such as the museum and Jet Lag Club, so perhaps you may want to do that. My trip there on the last US-Japan 747 flight was into NRT and back from HND. This was a great option to see both and to have the chance to fly on two different aircraft.

EditingFX Feb 17, 2019 4:57 am

I found the center "suites" in the 350 to be MUCH WARMER than the fuselage seats due to no air vents. Big "what the $%# were you thinking?" to the designers. Yeah, the cabin ceiling is WAY up there and I'm sure vents would be next to useless so far from the seat (in addition to how do you control them w/o likely-to-fail actuators, but surely it could've been possible to design them into the "suite" walls. Though my guess is that the airline fitment options end somewhere at the cabin floor thus making it impossible to route air channels to the "suites". But even then, if the F cabin was fitted with regular F seats or pods, the middle seat issue would be the same, so back to "what the $%# were you thinking"... Edit: OK, if F had regular non lie flat F seats, capacity would be such so as to need overhead bins and thus vents would be included. Though would many/any 350's be configured in non long haul? Talking all sales, not just DL.

(I use quotes for "suites" as I don't think a half-size sliding door qualifies a seat pod as a "suite".)

BenA Feb 17, 2019 6:31 am

Originally Posted by pfreet (Post 30764034)
I've not flown the A350 yet, but I like the idea of no center bins creating a more open feeling. Of course, as the poster above says, they could fill up.

Sadly, the downsides outweigh the upsides. The cabin doesn’t feel appreciably more open, unfortunately. The vent issue is real, but the bigger problem is the lack of storage (meaning you have to wrangle all the bedding at your seat on the 350). The ultra high ceiling also means the lights are more poorly targeted than usual, so if the person behind you decides they feel like staying awake, enjoy a spotlight aimed at your face while you are trying to sleep for the next 14 hours. Not cool.

Delta should retrofit center bins onto the 350 at the first available opportunity. A serious miss on what otherwise is a nice aircraft.

EditingFX Feb 17, 2019 7:24 am

Originally Posted by BenA (Post 30788566)
Delta should retrofit center bins onto the 350 at the first available opportunity. A serious miss on what otherwise is a nice aircraft.

This. Just add bins to A350 D1 cabin, several big issues solved.

Of course, to play devils' advocate, adding bins to a space that's already on the way to cramped, at least visually, will exacerbate the look. (Talking about the aisles being so narrow & the doors, when closed, making it feel smaller.)

MSPeconomist Feb 17, 2019 8:08 am

It would help to have more bin space on the A350 too.