Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is Delta struggling to sell Premium Select?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Delta struggling to sell Premium Select?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A further issue is that if DL makes PS too good, it could cannibalize sales of D1.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ethernal

I'd rather have a cheap 8 abreast option with extra legroom than a 7 abreast that I don't want to pay for.
But I doubt that was DL's plan. They were probably hoping to sell these seats for the same $2K that VS is selling many of theirs for.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A further issue is that if DL makes PS too good, it could cannibalize sales of D1.
I personally doubt this. Lay flat is the huge difference, and if you can afford it or your employer will pay for it, you're going to buy it.
kthomas and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I personally doubt this. Lay flat is the huge difference, and if you can afford it or your employer will pay for it, you're going to buy it.
Well yes, but employers are typically looking to cut costs, and there's a reasonable argument that they shouldn't need to pay for business class on relatively short (e.g., <8h) daytime TATL flights. My company at one point a number of years ago (not sure if it's still the case) was encouraging people to book PE on the returns from Europe and I think they even went so far as to share the savings with the employee.

The fact is that there is SOME cannibalization of J. But there's also a big up-sell opportunity for both leisure and business travelers. The gap between Y and J products had just gotten too large as well (this wasn't the case when J was 50" pitch cradle seats ~20 years ago), although it has become easier to find affordable J fares with advance purchase, min stays and off-peak travel.
kthomas likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well yes, but employers are typically looking to cut costs, and there's a reasonable argument that they shouldn't need to pay for business class on relatively short (e.g., <8h) daytime TATL flights. My company at one point a number of years ago (not sure if it's still the case) was encouraging people to book PE on the returns from Europe and I think they even went so far as to share the savings with the employee.

The fact is that there is SOME cannibalization of J. But there's also a big up-sell opportunity for both leisure and business travelers. The gap between Y and J products had just gotten too large as well (this wasn't the case when J was 50" pitch cradle seats ~20 years ago), although it has become easier to find affordable J fares with advance purchase, min stays and off-peak travel.
I agree 100% with the daytime flight comment (and I'd expand it past 8 hours - 8 hours barely gets you LHR-JFK in winter ). The issue, of course, is that airlines are not stupid. One way / split fare pricing has always been punitive TATL, and they will ratchet that up even more if they have to.
kthomas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.