Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is Delta struggling to sell Premium Select?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Delta struggling to sell Premium Select?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: DL DM
I was looking today at flights to CDG in September for a possible vacation and the fares were along the lines of $1800 for Y, $2200 for C+, $5000 for PS, $6000 for D1. If I was going to spend some serious cash why not pay just a tad more for D1 with a much better seat config and amenities? I haven't followed PS pricing much as I do not regularly fly on routes that offer it yet, but TBH it does not surprise me to see low bookings.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:58 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by ethernal
Delta is also selling nonstop Premium Select for only $858 round trip on that route with very few restrictions (and the upfare from Y is only about $300 - only $60 more than the Comfort+ upsell I see on a domestic 4 hour transcon round trip...). That's a no-brainer for anyone but the most price sensitive - and also a fare you'll never see on a nonstop to Europe from a Delta hub (rare far in advance very short fare sales with minimum stay requirements aside) for regular Y, much less PS.

Anything will sell at the right price.

Given the more favorable (read: oligopoly) market TATL, I expect that Delta is going to try to maintain pricing integrity on these seats. They'll yield over twice as high on Y OpUps on this route than the hyper-discounted fares they are selling TPAC.
I'm seeing the same pricing as for LAX-PVG, however, ex-Asia PS seems to be much more expensive - 60 to over 100% more than regular economy for several random city pairs I tried. This is off-season for a lot of TPAC travel so regular economy is relatively cheap, however, PS doesn't seem to be discounted to match.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:27 am

I'm not as experienced as most of you, but I did the LAX-PVG route recently and it was being sold at around $680 RT for certain dates (although most dates were obviously more).

At the prices, the cabin did fill up more than a week in advance. There was also a pretty large range of prices in the week I was travelling, with some dates nearly $1500 compared to my $680. Maybe Delta is still be playing around with pricing for PS to try and find an optimal pricing strategy. They can clearly fill it easily when they price it low enough, but they might have found an optimal price yet.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:31 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by ethernal
What's wrong with the AF flights? As long as you avoid the A380 angled seats, they're perfectly servicable. Seats are a bit narrow, but still better than a lot of Delta One seats (e.g., the 767s).
We liked the angled AF on the A380; it was a loss when IAD lost AF380s
The cabin was wide open for C class on saver awards using DL - almost always 7 seats available
Now we get no C and only option is United at 5 pm
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, LH
The problem with Premium Select is that Delta promotes fine dining on 'Alessi' service ware, but never seems to load the glasses and coffee mugs. Part of the attractiveness of premium class travel is savoring a beverage while at 35,000 feet, or having a cup of coffee in a stable mug while working on one's laptop. Instead, Delta provides an entree in a plate that is easy to tip, while serving fine drinks in plastic cups, or coffee in a paper cup.
kthomas likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by NorthFlyer
The problem with Premium Select is that Delta promotes fine dining on 'Alessi' service ware, but never seems to load the glasses and coffee mugs. Part of the attractiveness of premium class travel is savoring a beverage while at 35,000 feet, or having a cup of coffee in a stable mug while working on one's laptop. Instead, Delta provides an entree in a plate that is easy to tip, while serving fine drinks in plastic cups, or coffee in a paper cup.
This was a specific downgrade made to PS service last summer as the 777 rolled out... along the same time as domestic connections began to book into W instead of A. So sadly this isn't a forgetfulness issue, it's by design (and I suspect due to galley space restrictions on the 777).
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:05 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If I were in this case, that's what I'd do, but some employers absolutely forbid noncoach travel, even if the passenger pays the extra charge personally. In fact, I know of a large employer that even forbids complementary FF upgrades, although I don't know how they would handle an OPUP. Some foreign governments have strict rules too.
Would you mind sharing who those companies are? More so the large companies with common names I am not asking you to share "Pete & Sons dry wall company"

I am blown away (except maybe government) that companies would care where you sit as long as they dont have to pay another dime over the coach class of service. I have a feeling I know the large employer you are referring to as I have read they also make you reimbuse the company for ANY (hotel,car,airlines,etc) miles too

I hear they have a miniature bull terrier as a mascot if I am right?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Exactly and it's not Motorola. The company has an easily recognized red and white logo.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Exactly and it's not Motorola. The company has an easily recognized red and white logo.
That has a miniature bull terrier as their mascot? I had a feeling thats who it was.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by NorthFlyer
The plates are Alessi and the same they use in D1. Silverware the same too.

As another posted mentioned, drinks are in plastic from a downgrade last year.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:58 am

Delta should have done no more than 7 across on the 350 and equivalent on other aircraft given some of their higher pricing for PS.

The seats are way too narrow and don't feel premium at all in any way except for price. I would easily take the regular domestic first class seat product itself over the PS seat.

Only thing better about the PS seat is a little more recline. But it's narrower, has a smaller armrest and useless footrest, and again seats way too narrow.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
The plates are Alessi and the same they use in D1. Silverware the same too.

As another posted mentioned, drinks are in plastic from a downgrade last year.
That's ironic. I actually prefer the economy-style food trays (as opposed to noisey plateware) but appreciate the glassware for drinks.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I think DL missed the mark in product design. They should have gone with a VS style product that really is top of the pack, with best in class seats, dedicated lavs, curtains to make the cabin feel more exclusive, etc. Removing real barware and mugs only further cheapened it.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I think DL missed the mark in product design. They should have gone with a VS style product that really is top of the pack, with best in class seats, dedicated lavs, curtains to make the cabin feel more exclusive, etc. Removing real barware and mugs only further cheapened it.
Completely agree. Delta is a premium airline brand.

They differentiated Y on the 777s with 9 across and made a big push of it.

Yet they copied AA and UA on PS seating. They could have differentiated here too and I bet they would have commanded more of a pricing premium than what they're getting now - probably would have been more profitable despite less seats and slightly higher costs.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Completely agree. Delta is a premium airline brand.

They differentiated Y on the 777s with 9 across and made a big push of it.

Yet they copied AA and UA on PS seating. They could have differentiated here too and I bet they would have commanded more of a pricing premium than what they're getting now - probably would have been more profitable despite less seats and slightly higher costs.
I'm not sure I agree. The realty is that Delta made a smart decision here. These seats take up 38% more plane floor space than a regular Y seat, and 22% more floor space than a C+ seat.

Let's be clear - these premium economy seats are just that - premium economy. It's enough space that you no longer feel cramped and play elbows with your neighbor all day - and a bit of extra recline to help with sleep. Those are the differentiators. And it does make a big difference. There are probably enough cheap businesses that are willing to pay for that (but not for J), and enough personal travelers who will pay a small premium to travel with reasonable comfort.

With the worst of Economy already removed (no elbow room, rubbing up against seatmates, and no real recline), the willingness to pay for more than that is probably low - the marginal utility from two extra horizontal inches is just not that great.

Going from 8 seats to 7 seats means that you're now looking at a 60% premium relative to a Y seat just to break even. And if you want fancier catering? That's an added cost too. Is the willingness to pay really there for that extra 20-25% on top of the 40% premium? On a $1200 Y ticket, there is a big difference between a $500 and $700 upcharge.

I'd rather have a cheap 8 abreast option with extra legroom than a 7 abreast that I don't want to pay for.

One could argue Delta's "mistake" was making regular Y too comfortable on their 777s..
CalebMCO likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.