Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta says use 1st boarding pass for both legs of a journey?

Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

I have a trip with two legs but only the first boarding pass will print. I sent a note to Delta on
facebook. They responded to use the boarding pass for BOTH legs of
the trip. Has anyone ever heard of this? I have printed itinerary showing
confirmed seats on both.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Are both legs on Delta metal? If so, I'd definitely be a just a tiny bit worried - I've had boarding pass issues when there was something screwed up with my e-ticket. I was able to get it fixed at the airport.

How long is your connection? If it's a comfortable length, I wouldn't worry too much about it - just get to the gate before they start boarding and get it sorted out. If you have a tight connection (and your flight isn't departing for a while), I'd call back into Delta and get an explanation for what is going on - if you don't have a valid ticket and your connecting flight is full, you may end up getting deboarded (a reservation is not a ticket - you need both a reservation and a ticket to get on the plane).
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Prfrence
Originally Posted by pilgrim
I have a trip with two legs but only the first boarding pass will print. I sent a note to Delta on
confirmed seats on both.
Yes; your bar code on your first BP works for other flights on the same itinerary. Interestingly, if you have a valid SkyClub card, the scanner at the gate will read the bar code on the back of the card; it is linked to your reservation. I have used this to board when my phone ran out of charge and I couldn't use the Delta App.

You should look into getting the Delta App on your phone. It is really, really helpful.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by ND76
Yes; your bar code on your first BP works for other flights on the same itinerary. Interestingly, if you have a valid SkyClub card, the scanner at the gate will read the bar code on the back of the card; it is linked to your reservation. I have used this to board when my phone ran out of charge and I couldn't use the Delta App.

You should look into getting the Delta App on your phone. It is really, really helpful.
Yes, you can, but if only one boarding pass is being generated (assuming it is not user error), it may be indicative of a bigger problem.

OP - did you confirm whether or not any flight changes have occurred? It is possible that you never accepted a flight change. More worryingly, the new flight may be outside of MCT so OP may have been offboarded that flight already.

If you called in, presumably the reservation agent would have told you about this - but it is possible they missed it.
ExArkie likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:06 pm

Yes, you can scan pretty much anything that's attached to your reservation or SkyMiles account that has a barcode and it will board you if things match up on the backend. SkyMiles card, any BP from that PNR, a barcode on a seat assignment receipt, IRROPS itinerary...

I would definitely double check that nothing got messed up on your reservation though.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
A few notes.

1 - You can always print another boarding pass at the airport.
2 - You can email the boarding pass to yourself and use that.
3 - You can use the boarding pass that shows on the Delta App
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
So long as you are properly ticketed and it appears that you are, DL's system is set up so that it does not rely on the BP, although that is what most people use. Others here have pointed to yet other virtual and paper documents you may use, but certainly the same-day BP on the same PNR and ticket will work.

Conversely, you could have BP's but your ticket could be all screwed up. Thus, always makes sense to confirm that your ticket is in place.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
confirmed seats on both.
Agree with everyone else that you should make sure your reservation is okay.

Otherwise, if you use the BP from your first leg on the second, a seat assignment slip should print out, telling you your seat for that leg.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
I think the responders here are missing the larger issue. Why wouldnt the second boarding pass print?

The OP called Delta, at which point they were told dont worry. How many folks on this forum have received incorrect information over the phone from Delta?

OP...check in again at the airport. Make sure you have both boarding passes before going through security.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by ND76

I have the bar code on the back of my Kryptonium Card and I use it for Sky Club Admission and boarding.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:46 pm
21A

confirmed seats on both.
is your seat unassigned (Assign at Gate) on the first leg? Its been my experience that, for whatever reason, the second BP wont appear in this case but this doesnt mean anything is wrong with leg 2.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by RRDD
I think the responders here are missing the larger issue. Why wouldnt the second boarding pass print?

The OP called Delta, at which point they were told dont worry. How many folks on this forum have received incorrect information over the phone from Delta?

OP...check in again at the airport. Make sure you have both boarding passes before going through security.
I assume you know, but for other folks - you do not need BOTH passes for security. But - it is of course easier to get at the check in kiosks or counter.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I had an issue where my third BP wouldn't print ANYWHERE. I was told, don't worry. No problems. I finally arrived at airport two and went to the desk. There was some unknown to this day problem where they couldn't print out my BP until I'd arrived. Go figure. But until I reached airport two (CDG for reference) I had no way of boarding the last leg of my flight. Even the Delta app wasn't helpful except for departure times and showing that I'd booked this ages ago.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:08 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
More than once, I have scanned the opposite BP (#1<>#2 or #2<>#1) and the printer simply spits out one of those little slips with your seat number on it for the correct flight, just like it does when you get a gate upgrade.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Unless things have changed, if you make a bar code with your skymiles number, it will work for a BP all the time.

I put a skymiles number barcode on my brag tag that was attached to the shoulder strap of my backpack and scanned it for numerous flights

This was many years ago, but I can't imagine it changed

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.