Wiki Posts
Search

Gate agent rebooked me without asking

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by Often1
It would have been a customer service courtesy to speak with OP first, but the GA had no obligation to do so. I am also not sure what the response ought to be if the passenger throws a tantrum.

A perfectly valid way for DL to reduce the possibility of an oversale without paying VDB or IDB.
I think you are Way off here.
Don't forget there might have been a reason why I booked through DTW which would be unbeknownst to the GA unless they asked me first.
What if I have to drop off an important item for someone in DTW before going on to MSP ?
I purchased that specific ticket for my own reasons not the one the GA in Toronto thought I should have bought
​​​​​​​Jeezz
Spiff and KevinDTW like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Same thing on UA - sort of

Was flying VER-MEX-IAH-CHS and meeting a colleague in MEX and we were on the MEX-IAH flight together on UA

VER-MEX was on a small Mexican carrier named Aeromar, they cancelled their flight from VER-MEX and rebooked me on the VER-IAH direct, which is a E-145 and I had a paid business class ticket from MEX-IAH-CHS. I found out as I got to the airport and due to language barrier got no where with the Aeromar agent, but the UA agent understood and it took them close to 2 hours as I refused to get on the UA VER-IAH direct flight so that flight left without me, while I was still at the ticket counter trying to get this resolved. I was on the MEX-IAH, but they booked me in economy because they only have ATR42/72 and they "Don't do business class" So, I spent another hour on the phone with the 1K desk to get my seat back (FC only had 1 seat available - the one I was in previously)

I am not sure if they "Should" have done it, but they did and it royally screwed up my travel plans that day - they didn't even tell me and my UA reservation never changed, I found out as I got to the counter to check my bags
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:51 pm

And how might checked luggage and/or the impact of checked luggage missing a tighter connection possibly be impacted by this unilateral change??
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:58 pm

I had something similar happen while already in the gate area waiting for boarding to begin.
Had my name called up and the gate agent handed me a new boarding pass for a direct PHX-YVR on WestJet metal that left about an hour or so later instead of the PHX-SEA-YVR routing I was on.
She did this before making any announcements for volunteers and passed it off like she was doing me a great favor (but I knew she was doing this to avoid IDBs)

Asked for VDB credit voucher and got it. Also got some additional miles added when I mentioned that I would have to change terminals and reclear security to get to the WestJet gate
Strangely enough the original routing credit ended up posting without even having to request that.
RobOnLI likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL
I’ve been given miles by gate agents before to flatten my routing like this. They understood I did it to get more MQM and compensated me accordingly (and asked beforehand.)
RobOnLI and kthomas like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by sksys1
I had something similar happen while already in the gate area waiting for boarding to begin.
Had my name called up and the gate agent handed me a new boarding pass for a direct PHX-YVR on WestJet metal that left about an hour or so later instead of the PHX-SEA-YVR routing I was on.
She did this before making any announcements for volunteers and passed it off like she was doing me a great favor (but I knew she was doing this to avoid IDBs)

Asked for VDB credit voucher and got it. Also got some additional miles added when I mentioned that I would have to change terminals and reclear security to get to the WestJet gate
Strangely enough the original routing credit ended up posting without even having to request that.
This stuff is insane... glad you at least got the VDB credit. I assume this is after the Westjet JV was announced?

I'm worried this sort of thing will happen more and more often.

If I book a Delta flight on Delta metal I expect to fly Delta metal.

If I booked a Delta D1 seat and was "conveniently" re-routed nonstop on an AF A380 with angled lieflats I would be pretty furious.
Spiff, MSPeconomist, royng and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal
This stuff is insane... glad you at least got the VDB credit. I assume this is after the Westjet JV was announced?

If I booked a Delta D1 seat and was "conveniently" re-routed nonstop on an AF A380 with angled lieflats I would be pretty furious.
Happened before the JV announcement but the boarding pass was a DL code shared flight number.
Had C+ on PHX-SEA and got E+ on the WestJet flight
If this were any longer of a flight I definitely would not have been as receptive.
Still waiting for that JV to actually finalize. Will be nice to have elite reciprocity and some shred of benefits on WS
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle

On our end everything is commodified and locked in with penalties for change, but on their end everything is somehow fungible and freely interchangeable.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
When I was a gate agent, I would do this all the time. Even routing on another carrier.

Of course, I would check in with the passenger before changing the ticket though.
RobOnLI likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Get familiar with the U.S. DOT denied boarding rules. You got DB'd - but, because they got you to your destination within an hour of your scheduled flight no compensation is due.

https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...ping-oversales

Unless you had a fare break at DTW they had no obligation to route you thru DTW.
As I read the rules, Delta would still need to report this to the DOT as an IDB, which it was—just one where the compensation due is $0. I get the sense they are fairly desperately trying to avoid reporting IDB.

Moreover, Delta appeared to violate its conditions of carriage, which require it to seek volunteers before denying anyone boarding—see Rule 20(B). I could also make an argument that Rule 20(C) requires them to IDB folks in a specific order, and cheapest to pay compensation to is not part fo that order.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Frogbone
I think you are Way off here.
Don't forget there might have been a reason why I booked through DTW which would be unbeknownst to the GA unless they asked me first.
What if I have to drop off an important item for someone in DTW before going on to MSP ?
I purchased that specific ticket for my own reasons not the one the GA in Toronto thought I should have bought
Jeezz
If booked as a connection, DTW is simply a logistical necessity (or not).

The corelary to your concern is whether if you were asked, refused and DL wound up oversold by one and with no volunteers, it ought to IDB someone rather than enforcing its own COC. That individual who is IDB might also have important plans.

Remember, if your trip is to DTW, it can be book as AAA-DTW and DTW-BBB. That will usually be more expensive than AAA-BBB with a connection which happens to be at DTW. But, it's your choice. And your risk.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:15 pm

This happened to me a few weeks ago and the gate agent said I was eligible to be unilaterally moved to the nonstop flight AAA-CCC from my original AAA-BBB-CCC without asking me because at check-in I volunteered to give up my seat for my bid somewhere between $200-$500.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This to me is even less acceptable. Technically within the airline's "rights" assuming it gets you to your destination, but I would flip out if this happened to me without consultation. Potential impacts of this:
  • Your expected "time on the ground" changes. I rarely have connections, but when I do, I usually take calls during my time on the ground. Oops, now your call no longer overlaps with when you're supposed to be on the ground.
  • Your original connection was based on a preferable airport and "comfortable" connection time. Perhaps the new connecting airport does not have a SkyClub (or it is a crappier one). Perhaps you're now being routed through JFK and have a tight connection - you have a higher potential for delays than when you route through SLC or MSP - and you may be stuck switching terminals.
  • Your seats will be swapped. Even if you are in paid F, all seats are not the same. I refuse to sit in the bulkhead rows on a 739 - and those are usually the ones most likely to be open for a last minute swap in. In Coach? Oops, you lost your exit row seat and are now in 36C (and now that 35 minute connection is going to be very, very tight...)
  • Your equipment may have changed. I preferentially book A321s over 739s and E-175s over CRJ-700s. Oops, now you're on a CRJ-700. It's gate valet and 17" wide seats for you.
  • Your friend/co-worker/significant other is going to meet you at the airport, and booked a ticket on the flight you were connecting on (in fact, you have seats next to each other.. or did).
There are more possibilities than this, but this starts to get you the feel for the issues at play.

Before Often1 smuggly points out that none of this matters, and routing is not guaranteed, I am not arguing whether the airline can but rather whether they should - especially without consultation. An airline probably doesn't legally need to have a reservations line, but most do.. because it makes sense.

As a passenger, when I book a flight, I have a default expectation that Delta will get me to Point A to Point B in the routing that I booked, on the equipment I booked, and in the seat I reserved. Any violation of that expectation - whether allowed or not under the Contract or Carriage terms - is a potential ding on customer satisfaction.

While a lot of overbooked situations are a result of IRROPs (where I am more likely to be understanding of changes and rebookings), let's not pretend that most of it is not just revenue management. And this sort of stuff is playing a trade-off between extra revenue and potentially customer satisfaction.
And there you have it. I think I said upthread that the GA ought to have consulted. But, somehow that got missed.

But, the better question is what the GA does if the flight is overbooked by one, then oversold by one, you are the sole passenger who can be rerouted, and there are no volunteers.

It isn't just about you. It's also about that individual who is #1 on the IDB list who could just as easily "flip out" as you put it, if she is given the boot and misses an important meeting when DL had a contractual ability to make it work.

All depends where you sit.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
This happened to me a few weeks ago and the gate agent said I was eligible to be unilaterally moved to the nonstop flight AAA-CCC from my original AAA-BBB-CCC without asking me because at check-in I volunteered to give up my seat for my bid somewhere between $200-$500.
Did they give you the money?

Also, that's nonsense. When you put in the bid, it says you will have the chance to confirm the flight change before you are offboarded.

This thread is making me very thankful I don't regularly connect on Delta.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
And there you have it. I think I said upthread that the GA ought to have consulted. But, somehow that got missed.

But, the better question is what the GA does if the flight is overbooked by one, then oversold by one, you are the sole passenger who can be rerouted, and there are no volunteers.

It isn't just about you. It's also about that individual who is #1 on the IDB list who could just as easily "flip out" as you put it, if she is given the boot and misses an important meeting when DL had a contractual ability to make it work.

All depends where you sit.
Fair enough on your comment that you mentioned that the gate agent should have consulted, but I think there is an issue with your hypothetical. You added the statement "there are no volunteers" - my guess is that Delta did not look for volunteers (at least in OP's case - given that s/he was sitting the gate and was surprised to see the flight change). I could be wrong, but this seems to be Delta's way of trying to avoid having to pay any VDB comp at all.

Given the number of corroborating posts, it seems like this is pretty standard affair for Delta. And given the incredibly low rate of IDB that Delta reports, it seems like they tend to be very successful finding volunteers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.