Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

travelling with delta for the first time (longhaul)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:46 am
Original Poster

i am travelling with my family (kids are 4, 8 and 9) from amsterdam to the US. this is our first long haul flight with delta (economy). please could you tell us if there are any things different or special (usually we fly with lufthansa)? i would like to prepare the flight as good as possible for the kids. if there is something missing, e.g. snacks i would try to bring some to reduce the travel expenses.

1. could we get special meals? one of the kids prefers vegetarian meals.

2. are there unlimited drinks?

3. how many meals we get?

4. is there inflight entertainment with monitors at every seat?

5. only movies or more?

6. are there magazines?

7. what would you recommend to bring with us?

8. are there complemtary pillows and blankets?

9. are there complemtary headphones?

10 are there complementary amenity kits (economy)?

11. are there any hidden costs?

thank you so much.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:47 am

1. Yes- you can select from a range of special meals including vegetarian on the “manage my trip” section on delta.com. That said, there’s always a veg. pasta option (on lunch/dinner flights) as one of your three choices in coach, but you could get the special meal just in case the pasta runs out before they get to you.

2. Yes- and the drink list, even in coach, is extensive and complimentary.

3. You get one hot meal about 1hr into the flight, then about 1.5 hr to landing a smaller meal. I think the mid flight snack is now a chocolate chip cookie.

4 & 5: Yes - all long haul DL flights have free seatback entertainment (movies, TV series, games, music, flight map etc...). Some aircraft have newer systems than others. Best coach screens are in the A330 and B767-300 fleet (767-400 and 777 are in the process of being refitted; some are new and some are older)

6. Only magazine is the inflight magazine, “SKY Magazine”- you may want to stock up on a few others before the flight if you enjoy other magazines.

7. DL thinks of almost everything- not much extra to bring. Always enough food, water (full size water bottles at every seat), entertainment. Being your USB cable as most long haul aircraft have USB power at every seat

8. Yes- and the pillows were updated in November to a little higher quality than before

9. Yes- earbuds, but if you have a more comfortable pair, bring those along.

10. Yes. I think you get eyeshades & earplugs (and I think toothbrush/toothpaste in Comfort+)?

11. Nope. If you bought basic economy (fare class “E”) it would be disclosed to you already that there is a fee to check your first bag. That said, even in Basic Economy you can bring a full size roll aboard bag on the aircraft and DL will gate check it for free even though that’s a remote possibility as on the long haul widebody aircraft usually all bags fit.

enjoy your trip!
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
We never assume the onboard entertainment will be working correct, so we travel with ipad(s). Of course kids are okay with phones as to screen size. We also travel with our own headphones - again not trust the airline.

We also have a bag of snacks in case the selection is limited onboard, or we get hungry, or service is poor.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You'll probably find DL service to be more American style friendly and informal versus LH efficiency. DL FAs don't have great foreign language skills either.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:55 am
Original Poster

thank you all so much! we are from berlin, germany, and it will be our first huge trip with the kids. but it sounds great. there is not much to bring with us for the fight.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You'll probably find DL service to be more American style friendly and informal versus LH efficiency. DL FAs don't have great foreign language skills either.
so delta's service is better than lufthansa's?

that is interesting. lufthansa fas has foreign language skills.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Basti
so delta's service is better than lufthansa's?

that is interesting. lufthansa fas has foreign language skills.
I wouldn't say better or worse, but very clearly different style. Expect to be addressed by your first name (if any staff use your name at all) and on the AMS flight, don't expect there to be any FAs on board who are able to speak much if any German. [There could be one, but the odds are against this. For example, if you were flying CDG-USA, there would be one or two FAs on board who speak French, although not necessarily extremely well, but generally no German speaking FA unless this happens by accident, and no FA who speaks any other language either. From AMS, it's a bit more ambiguous as normally one would expect the flight to include someone who can speak Dutch (recorded announcements are in English and Dutch), but in Holland everyone seems to speak English and not to expect others to speak their native language. If you were on a nonstop from Germany to the USA there would be one or two FAs who can speak some German with varying degrees of proficiency.]
Eddie98 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:39 am
Original Poster

thank you.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:30 am

I'd bring some snacks just in case....usually the second "meal" is pretty bad and esp. the kids might be quie hungry that far into the flight. Even the main meal can be a bit sad, altho I usually find it edible. Be prepared, the FA will ask something like "chicken, beef or pasta" with little info as to what the preparation actually is - they used to give out menu cards with descriptions, I don't think they do that any more.

I actually do like Delta and only fly economy but I always bring some extra food along just in case. There will be pleny to drink choices - wine, beer, and liquor all complimentary and you can more of whatever as the flight goes along if you go back and ask the FA"s. Hope you have a ncie trip!
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:34 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
there is not much to bring with us for the fight.
Welcome to FlyerTalk - Delta Forum!

Are you expecting there to be a FIGHT on the FLIGHT?

<Just kidding, of course!?>
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
From what I've seen of special meal services, the FAs will do a sweep through the cabin shortly after takeoff, and put identifying stickers on top of the seats of the people who ordered special meals for easier correct service later. They might have been delivered at a slightly different time than the general meals. (memory's fuzzy there)

The standard vegetarian pasta is generally perfectly adequate though there is the risk of running out if you're further back in the cabin

Pillows and blankets are included for free, but are more decorative than useful so if you have someone who tends to be cold, I'd bring your own.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by beachmouse
From what I've seen of special meal services, the FAs will do a sweep through the cabin shortly after takeoff, and put identifying stickers on top of the seats of the people who ordered special meals for easier correct service later. They might have been delivered at a slightly different time than the general meals. (memory's fuzzy there)

The standard vegetarian pasta is generally perfectly adequate though there is the risk of running out if you're further back in the cabin

Pillows and blankets are included for free, but are more decorative than useful so if you have someone who tends to be cold, I'd bring your own.
When I've ordered kids meals in the past, they were brought out first, which was fantastic. We helped them eat, so they were content and watching a movie by the time we got our meal.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by bloc0102
When I've ordered kids meals in the past, they were brought out first, which was fantastic. We helped them eat, so they were content and watching a movie by the time we got our meal.
Tip of the hat to this post. One of the better ones I have seen in quite some time.

Great idea.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
i am travelling with my family (kids are 4, 8 and 9) from amsterdam to the US. this is our first long haul flight with delta (economy). please could you tell us if there are any things different or special (usually we fly with lufthansa)? i would like to prepare the flight as good as possible for the kids. if there is something missing, e.g. snacks i would try to bring some to reduce the travel expenses.

1. could we get special meals? one of the kids prefers vegetarian meals.

2. are there unlimited drinks?

3. how many meals we get?

4. is there inflight entertainment with monitors at every seat?

5. only movies or more?

6. are there magazines?

7. what would you recommend to bring with us?

8. are there complemtary pillows and blankets?

9. are there complemtary headphones?

10 are there complementary amenity kits (economy)?

11. are there any hidden costs?

thank you so much.

Recently flew ATL-LHR, LHR-ATL with 2 two little ones.

1. Yes. Reserve online in advance. The FAs will take good care of you. On each of our flights, the "special" meals were always served first.

2. Yes. After the first and second drink service, you'll have to go to the galley to get your drinks.

3. One about 90-120 minutes after take off. A mid-flight drink service/snack. And another meal 90 minutes before landing. Our "pre-landing" meal was good. It was advertised as a pizza but it was pizza-like flavors inside of a burrito. The ice cream was good. There are snacks always available upon request. On both flights, we were given a card with a rough schedule indicating when to expect drinks/meals.

4. Depends on the equipment, but yes. In the unlikely event your plane does not have seatback entertainment, DL offers streaming options via your mobile device or tablet. Plenty of options to stay occupied. Our A332 offered seatback screens, charging ports, etc. Plenty to keep busy on an 8-10 hour flight.

5. Yes. Movies. TV episodes. Games (trivia, solitaire, poker, sudoku, etc.), audio options, etc.TED talks, etc. Plenty to keep you occupied.

6. Magazines were sparse. There may be a Delta magazine, but don't bank on many reading options.

7. Bring whatever you think you'll need. There are ample food/drink options. Our FA's were fantastic re: catering to our little ones.

8. Yes, but they're the quality you'd expect from an airlines I really wouldn't use the pillows, but the blankets are more than serviceable.

9. We were in Comfort+ and got complementary headphones. Every in-seat screen had a 3.5mm jack, so any basic headphone system would connect. No double jack requirement. I'm almost certain every passenger was given headphones upon request.

10. Again, we were in Comfort+, but we got eye masks, toothbrushes/toothpaste, head phones, etc.

11. Not that I know of. DL did a great job taking care of us on our flights. The FAs were overly-attentive to our kids and we sincerely appreciate their efforts

As others have said, in my experience, DL flight attendants were overly attentive to the needs of our kids. It really made the entire flight much easier. We received so much attention that I submitted comments via the website for both flights complementing the FAs for their stellar service. We've flown a ton with our kids, but this trip was our first long-haul adventure. The DL flight attendants were more than generous with food, drink, etc. My 4-year-old needed a "potty break" during the lunch service and the DL FAs moved the service cart out of the way for us. It doesn't sound like much, but every little bit helps when traveling long-haul with little ones. Each drink service, the DL flight attendants asked each of my kids what they'd like, and served it to them like they were royalty. Again, it's the little things that count, and we'll always remember DL for taking care of us on these trips.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
When traveling with children, I always assume that something won't work. (I assume the same with adults, but adults can usually cope better.) I always travel with extra snacks + books/toys/entertainment just in case something doesn't work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.