Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

For Upgrade Priority, Which One Matters - Fare Class or Price Paid?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Life, UA Gold/MM

Hi - I see fares like this all the time for the same flight:
- Q: $289
- U: $299

All else equal, I *think* that Q would clear upgrades before U, even though the U ticket is a higher paid fare.
Is that correct?

Thanks, Lee
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Q>U
Fare class trumps.
Priority Complimentary Upgrade Hierarchy - https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...es.html/#clear
1 Medallion Status
2 Fare Class Groupings: higher-priced fares are ranked above lower-priced fares
3 Delta Reserve Credit Card Members
4 Delta Corporate Travelers*
5 Card Members who earned the Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQD) Waiver in the current calendar year
6 Date and time of upgrade request
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which flight is this? That sounds very odd.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by LBJ
Which flight is this? That sounds very odd.
I doubt that the two fares are for the same route. I have a felling the OP is looking at 2 different routing with the first leg sharing the same flight.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Life, UA Gold/MM
Exactly same flight (same day, same route, same plane ). This pricing is from Concur through my company.

I have theory that this is how "#4 - Delta Corporate Travelers*" priority is actually implemented (i.e.default to higher fare class for corp travelers at same or slightly lower cost). But just a guess...
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's also possible that your company's agreement with DL includes a larger discount on Q (or higher) fares, and the published fares are close enough in price that the higher discount on Q results in a lower price for you.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've seen corporate discount fares that give absolutely no discount on fares that are considered special discounts, such as G A P fares (despite how they're indicated on the booking page) and with a range of discounts, where the high discount applies only to unrestricted fares such as FULL Y.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've seen corporate discount fares that give absolutely no discount on fares that are considered special discounts, such as G A P fares (despite how they're indicated on the booking page) and with a range of discounts, where the high discount applies only to unrestricted fares such as FULL Y.
The "special corporate discount" on the trip I booked this week was actually a negative discount. My trip cost an extra $8 for the non-refundable Z fare+the per trip booking fee we pay, but my hands are tied in that we have to book via the corporate portal because it saves money Could have saved my company $33!!

At the end of the day, the odds that fare classes that are close to each other will make the difference in an upgrade is unlikely, especially given the vagueness of DL's policies.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by The Situation
At the end of the day, the odds that fare classes that are close to each other will make the difference in an upgrade is unlikely, especially given the vagueness of DL's policies.
Not sure I agree with that. Fare difference is the biggest tiebreaker. My spot on an upgrade list is massively different if I book - e.g., a Q versus H fare. My chance of snagging a C+ seat (or even an F seat) varies dramatically depending whether I book a Q fare or an H fare.

Obviously will vary by route but for one of my routes it is pretty consistent - Q means I'm 10 deep on the upgrade list, H means I'm at least in fighting form at the gate if there are any seats that open up (usually within the top 3-5).
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by The Situation
Fare Class is the #2 tie-breaker behind Medallion status, so it most certainly is a relevant tie-breaker. Is it going to make a difference on ATL-LAX/SFO/SEA where DMs on Y/B/M fares frequently don't clear? Probably not. Could it make a difference on many other routes? Certainly.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...es.html/#clear

I know of at least two occasions in my own travels where the tie-breaker has gone all the way down to time of request for me, because I was traveling with someone I knew who was the same Medallion level and traveling on the same fare class, but on a separate ticket.
ethernal and dmarge18 like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Fare Class is the #2 tie-breaker behind Medallion status, so it most certainly is a relevant tie-breaker. Is it going to make a difference on ATL-LAX/SFO/SEA where DMs on Y/B/M fares frequently don't clear? Probably not. Could it make a difference on many other routes? Certainly.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...es.html/#clear

I know of at least two occasions in my own travels where the tie-breaker has gone all the way down to time of request for me, because I was traveling with someone I knew who was the same Medallion level and traveling on the same fare class, but on a separate ticket.

Technically, it says "Fare Class groupings" - and they don't tell us how they are grouped. It could be that they don't distinguish between Y/B/M, for example, with H/K/Q being the next group, etc. But since they didn't say "Fare Class" is the tie breaker, there is no evidence that a Y fare will automatically trump an M, or vice versa - though it is pretty safe to assume that either would beat out an L/U/T.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Technically, it says "Fare Class groupings" - and they don't tell us how they are grouped. It could be that they don't distinguish between Y/B/M, for example, with H/K/Q being the next group, etc. But since they didn't say "Fare Class" is the tie breaker, there is no evidence that a Y fare will automatically trump an M, or vice versa - though it is pretty safe to assume that either would beat out an L/U/T.
Yes, it is frustratingly ambiguous. I do wish there was clarity on this. If there are "groupings", what are the groups? (I actually think it is done purely by the published fare class pecking order, but it is possible some are grouped together).

I have yet to not be #1 on a Y fare (which almost seems suspicious given that RUCs exist) - so I do think that is differentiated from B. (I have reserve card and corporate booking priority as well - just not MQD waiver, I don't put any spend on my reserve card).
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal
Yes, it is frustratingly ambiguous. I do wish there was clarity on this. If there are "groupings", what are the groups? (I actually think it is done purely by the published fare class pecking order, but it is possible some are grouped together).

I have yet to not be #1 on a Y fare (which almost seems suspicious given that RUCs exist) - so I do think that is differentiated from B. (I have reserve card and corporate booking priority as well - just not MQD waiver, I don't put any spend on my reserve card).
I am more or less in the same boat except that I get to usually buy my tickets 1.5 - 2 weeks out, so I usually find myself on Q fares.I have the Reserve card for Sky Club access and tiebreakers, but only use it for occasional personal spend.

Luckily, I am also not based in Atlanta, so I haven't done worse than C+ since sometime in 2017 - with 137 segments in '18 and 20 so far this year.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If DL really does mean fare class groupings (and isn't trying to say fare code groupings a to mean fare class), this would make having the Reserve card more important as, for example, a Q fare ticket with a Reserve card would beat a H fare without the Reserve card.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Yes, this is the point I was trying to make. I definitely find myself much higher on upgrade lists on an H or K fare than if I am on an X or V fare, but there is not enough transparency in the process and too many variables (such as medallion mix, route, what fare classes others are in on a particular flight) to determine with any certainty that a higher fare class by one fare class makes any difference. Hypothetically, if I am on a V fare on one flight, I might be 15th from last, but if I am on an X fare on another flight, I might be 10th from last. Is that difference explained because I had a higher fare class, or because I trumped 5 FOs and GMs on award tickets? I don't know!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.