Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DOT starts new proceeding for added HND slots

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Here are the applications for flight slots at HND (12 slots available to US carriers):

UA (six slots requested)
HND - EWR/ORD/IAD/LAX/IAH/GUM
Application of United Airlines (508 pages)
Answer of United Airlines (154 pages) "United's proposal will make the best use of scarce Haneda slots and provide the greatest public benefits, and No other carrier has demonstrated the benefits of its proposals more than United"
Consolidated reply of United Airlines (148 pages) "Our proposal is best, and the other guys misrepresented the facts."

HA (three slots requested)
HND - HNL (3x daily)
Application of Hawaiian Airlines (118 pages)
Answer of Hawaiian Airlines (111 pages) "Why HA is best, here's what's wrong with DL's request, here's what's wrong with UA's request, and here's what's wrong with AA's request"
Consolidated Reply of Hawaiian Airlines (33 pages) "Our proposal is best, and here's what's wrong with DL, UA and AA's proposals"

AA (four slots requested)
HND - DFW/LAX/DFW/LAS (DFW is AA's first and third preference)
Application of American Airlines (135 pages)
Answer of American Airlines (106 pages) "Only AA adds competition, DL squanders scarce resources, and don't reward UA further"
Consolidated Reply of American Airlines (111 pages) "Here's why DFW, LAX and LAS should be selected, and UA's baseless attacks on AA distract from UA's poor proposal"

DL (six slots requested)
HND - SEA/DTW/ATL/PDX/HNL/HNL (HNL Is DL's fifth and sixth preference)
Application of Delta Air Lines (199 pages)
Answer of Delta Air Lines (90 pages) "DL's proposal maximizes public benefits, DL's proposal should be granted in full before UA, AA, and HA are considered, and DL deserves the slot times it has requested"
Reply of Delta Air Lines (75 pages) "Answers from UA, AA and HA underscore why DL's proposal should be granted in full, and B6's answer is irrelevant to this proceeding"

And the odd filing:
Answer of Jetblue Airways Corporation (6 pages) "If it is important for DOT to grant DL's application for slots at HND, it is equally important to allow JetBlue to enter LHR and AMS"
Print Wikipost

DOT starts new proceeding for added HND slots

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Would DL be able to move SIN/MNL to HND? These are older route authorities and I'm not clear if they are subject to the normal HND/US restrictions.
basically no. Route authorities aren't the problem, HND slots are. US slots have the restriction of only being to US markets.
Originally Posted by ab2013
DL won't start SEA-SIN, especially with SQ on it. They'll almost certainly simply exit the market and funnel SkyTeam passengers through ICN.
this. If Delta metal continues to SIN, it will be via Soul. That is highly unlikely though.
Originally Posted by koreanair720
Seem like it would be nice to have a few 787s lying around for some of these long, thin routes. PDX-HND? SEA-SIN? The 787 seems made for this stuff. Too bad.
330 will do this just fine. Hell a 767 would do it just fine.

SIN would have to be flown by a 789 and the 350 is quite comparable. Where a 787 would benefit delta, IMO, is on flights that they could use the -8. Re-entering HKG, MSP-HND, a possible SLC-ICN route, etc.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
If I was Delta I would fly the couple of essential nonstops to Tokyo but otherwise fly to Guam and then use that as a hub for intra-Asia to Singapore, Manila, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong, etc. You could probably get a bunch of federal subsidies.
And then they could buy some A380s and start shuttle service to LIT!

...oops, wrong forum
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
basically no. Route authorities aren't the problem, HND slots are. US slots have the restriction of only being to US markets.

this. If Delta metal continues to SIN, it will be via Soul. That is highly unlikely though.

330 will do this just fine. Hell a 767 would do it just fine.

SIN would have to be flown by a 789 and the 350 is quite comparable. Where a 787 would benefit delta, IMO, is on flights that they could use the -8. Re-entering HKG, MSP-HND, a possible SLC-ICN route, etc.
My point is that SIN/MNL aren't US routes, although on a US carrier. Thus my question on if they could be moved. Ie arr there no viable slot times VS available but unusable slot times due to legal restrictions are different issues.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
If I was Delta I would fly the couple of essential nonstops to Tokyo but otherwise fly to Guam and then use that as a hub for intra-Asia to Singapore, Manila, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong, etc. You could probably get a bunch of federal subsidies.
Yes yes, we know your obsession with Guam. If you were DL, ATL operations would move to Guam and all flights would connect thru there. It's over. Move on already
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
It would be interesting to see DL try to hang on to SIN and/or MNL via KIX and NGO.

I've ridden HND-MSP and HND-LAX many times over the last two years. I've observed that for HND-MSP, a fairly significant number of them seem to connect from the PR MNL-HND flight. I'm sure these itineraries are frequently assembled by Philippine travel agents and that DL tolerates such an arrangement because they need the feed to support the MSP flight given that AA had backup authority for the route. I also imagine the arrangement benefitted from DL's canceling of NGO-MNL around the same time.

If NRT-MNL goes away, there might just be enough sales activity from MNL to justify DL's continued presence there via NGO. But that doesn't take into account the impending MSP-ICN flight or the rest of DL's upcoming HND slot allocation.

KIX-SIN would be a semi-covert way to serve the "SEA-SIN" market and there is very little competition on it (all SQ, essentially). Such a route could build mindshare before DL tries the route for real in the future.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
KIX-SIN would be a semi-covert way to serve the "SEA-SIN" market and there is very little competition on it (all SQ, essentially). Such a route could build mindshare before DL tries the route for real in the future.
Sorry - DL has already announced the end of the renewed SEA-KIX service which starts 4/1/19. Last flight date is 10/25/19.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Sorry - DL has already announced the end of the renewed SEA-KIX service which starts 4/1/19. Last flight date is 10/25/19.
Referred to as seasonal service in a PR update a month ago: Delta Air Lines - Tony's Regional Update - SEA - Winter 2019 ? Page 5
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
My point is that SIN/MNL aren't US routes, although on a US carrier. Thus my question on if they could be moved. Ie arr there no viable slot times VS available but unusable slot times due to legal restrictions are different issues.
No, HND's international slots are all heavily controlled by the Japanese government. There are no slots available to US carriers that could be used to serve SIN/MNL from Haneda.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
No, HND's international slots are all heavily controlled by the Japanese government. There are no slots available to US carriers that could be used to serve SIN/MNL from Haneda.
I understand they slot control HND. I also understand that routes from the US to/from HND are even more restricted for US carriers. However routes from SIN wouldn't be a route to/from the US. It possibly falls under whatever agreement Singapore and Japan have, not the US and Japan. Do you know that it is the US/JAPAN agreement that governs SIN flights, or does it fall under whatever agreement Singapore and Japan have.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Put it this way....
Why would HND, which is controlled by Japanese authorities, go out of their way to accommodate DL on HND-MNL/SIN when they don’t have to? Doing so would be allowing a foreign airline to compete and take profits away from the Japanese carriers.

Obviously by treaty they have to allow it elsewhere, but the slot restriction gives Japan a defacto veto of DL doing 5th Freedoms from HND. Why would Japan want to give that up?
joejones likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
I understand they slot control HND. I also understand that routes from the US to/from HND are even more restricted for US carriers. However routes from SIN wouldn't be a route to/from the US. It possibly falls under whatever agreement Singapore and Japan have, not the US and Japan. Do you know that it is the US/JAPAN agreement that governs SIN flights, or does it fall under whatever agreement Singapore and Japan have.
I don't know for sure if there are slots available for Philippines or Singapore, but I doubt it. Basically, Japan has been slowly releasing international slots at Haneda, which have all been snapped up by relevant local carriers. You could do some research and find out if all the MNL/SIN flights are taken, but I doubt it sufficiently that it doesn't seem worth the time to check.

From an air treaty perspective, I don't think there would be any impediment to Delta serving HND-SIN and HND-MNL — it's all about the slot restrictions.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:35 pm

I didn't do a good job explain but no because of the bold. Basically US carriers are restricted to US markets. The Japanese government wont give the US DOT slots to give to Delta (or anyone else) to operate something like HND-SIN.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:41 pm

For HND only it would fall under the slot agreement between Singapore and Japan.

I can't say for sure on Singapore but generally the HND slot agreements are for slots only to go between the two countries airlines, if that makes sense.

HND has turned into one of the weirdest things I have seen. Its true protectionism with counties like the US being completely fine with it and putting its own airlines and customers at a disadvantage.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
HND has turned into one of the weirdest things I have seen. Its true protectionism with counties like the US being completely fine with it and putting its own airlines and customers at a disadvantage.
I haven't actually been to HND, but I assume that it cannot handle all the flight traffic for Tokyo. So if demand exceeds supply, there must be some authority that decides who gets in
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre
I haven't actually been to HND, but I assume that it cannot handle all the flight traffic for Tokyo. So if demand exceeds supply, there must be some authority that decides who gets in
Years ago, before NRT was made, there was a huge protest against HND expanding. When t was announced that NRT would be made, there was a huge protest and there are still land owners who refuse to give up their land, keeping the airport from making another runway. HND is at capacity due to the slot restrictions the airport is at due to the agreement with the city and the fisherman’s union. Basically the government and the US military base nearby controls the airport airspace

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.