Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Are you <insert job title> with your company?”

“Are you <insert job title> with your company?”

Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:56 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
I'm curious to know how you arrived at this belief. Is it based solely on your personal dislike of the use of customer information or is it based on actual data?

(I'm not being a smart aleck here. I'm genuinely curious to know if there is actual research on this type of stuff.)
I am certain there is research, but to be fair my thoughts are my own, and also what I have read in other threads on here about people not liking this stuff as well as other forums.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by LA2CDG
I'm sure there is some research somewhere, I agree with vincentharris, slightly off topic but in the same vein, about two years ago, when I checked into an SPG property in the UAE, they had printed out my LinkedIn profile and printed on a thank you note in the room. I didn't appreciate, I think that goes too far. If you want to thank me, thank me for my loyalty and the level I have achieved. Are they googling every guest? it was weird and a bit unsettling for me. Others might appreciate it.
You put that information out there for public viewing and you are unsettled that people actually use it?????
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
You put that information out there for public viewing and you are unsettled that people actually use it?????
in that manner, yes.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by FF524
When I share that I don’t like to be publicly acknowledged, people are sometimes surprised. When I hit MM status, I didn’t want public recogniiton. When I sit in my seat, I don’t want to be called out by name and my status level acknowledged. It’s just my style. Perhaps Delta could put a check box in our profile that is labeled LMTFAUIEAFS where one could opt in or out of acknowledgement and that would solve this issue and ensuing discussion?

Had some fun decoding that one.. "Leave Me The 'Frick' Alone Unless I Explicitly Ask For Something"?

I'd mark the same checkbox.
strickerj, kaffir76 and defrosted like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:23 am

in that manner, yes.
I completely agree. That is weird and creepy.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:25 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
This sounds like it's meant to recognize Delta's corporate customers/flyers.....maybe there is a major contract renewal taking place and they're trying to go the extra mile to make sure there is a renewal.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by vincentharris
They are a multi billion dollar global company, I KNOW they A) dont care who I am B) care what my status is C) care if I use their service or not.
Slow down there, friend. That multi-billion dollar company wants to know much more about you, to encourage you to spend more and earn them another billion.

Data is becoming the lifeblood of many charities, and consumer facing companies. In a previous job I was an auditor for a well known consulting firm, and I've heard stories from fellow auditors. There are consumer-facing companies and charities out there, if you exceed X amount of spend with them (where X is typically 10k+) will assign an intern or a low ranking employee to Google/use information services to look up information about you, including:

1. Your address, picture of your house, and try to estimate your income from the size/location of your house (in the US, real estate records are public and are often accessible via the county recorder's website)
2. LinkedIn/FB/Twitter/whatever social media accounts you have, and if you're an "influencer" (in other words, if you have a bad experience at a hotel, will you tweet about it to millions+ listeners?)
3. Personal information such as your family size, if you're married, etc (for instance: sending you an offer for a spa discount, hoping that your wife will see it)
4. Some companies will soft-pull your credit score (doesn't effect your credit score) to send you preapproved offers of credit cards and so forth.

It's getting cheaper and cheaper to do this every day, which is why there are some laws being proposed to limit where your data goes.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by LA2CDG
I'm sure there is some research somewhere, I agree with vincentharris, slightly off topic but in the same vein, about two years ago, when I checked into an SPG property in the UAE, they had printed out my LinkedIn profile and printed on a thank you note in the room. I didn't appreciate, I think that goes too far. If you want to thank me, thank me for my loyalty and the level I have achieved. Are they googling every guest? it was weird and a bit unsettling for me. Others might appreciate it.
Any time we meet with customers (existing or potential) or job candidates, we always google them. The primary reason is so that we are prepared to answer questions that they might ask and know what not to say and if we are providing lunch, any foods to avoid (i.e. if they are a member of PETA, we won't be providing a buffet of meat skewers). We don't want to look dumb. It is really odd that they printed your linkedin profile, not that they googled you - in doing so they look dumb. Subtlety is key.

I actually don't mind FAs having information about my work. FAs frequently initiate conversations with and they often ask about my work (which I like to talk about). They are curious in a nice way, not a jealous way, about how I am able to fly as much and often in the pointy end of plane, as young as I am. I get some really good service in return and as I travel more, I have had a couple FAs a second time and they remember me and provide me excellent service.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by vincentharris
They are a multi billion dollar global company, I KNOW they A) dont care who I am B) care what my status is C) care if I use their service or not.

Stupid analytic/data driven stuff like this just annoys customers and probably pisses off more customers than it makes happy. How about you provide me the service for which I paid for and we end it there? I believe that for example my locally owned dry cleaner knows my name and says my name when I drop off or pick up and means it when they say they appreciate my business? yes

Do I think that DL telling FAs to say "hello X blah blah blah" means anything? absolutely not
I pretty much agree. I could care less about being thanked for being a DM, or my name in my seat.

I'm more worried about getting there on time, and having a decent seat.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by The Situation
Any time we meet with customers (existing or potential) or job candidates, we always google them.
This. My wife works at a doctors office. There was a lady in the RDU area who went on all the news channels ripping a bunch of doctors offices whom she had "disagreements" with (intentionally not getting into specifics). She eventually called my wife's office. They googled her (as they do everyone) and then politely declined to get involved with that mess.

I tell young people all the time, share as little as possible on the internets. And especially don't share things like your frickin *DNA* (does it get more private than that?) with one of these government collection sites d/b/a ancestry.com, etc. Then you're also screwing your relatives...even ones that aren't born yet...
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Shouldn't Delta be treating all PAX the same?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
When I share that I don’t like to be publicly acknowledged, people are sometimes surprised. When I hit MM status, I didn’t want public recogniiton. When I sit in my seat, I don’t want to be called out by name and my status level acknowledged. It’s just my style. Perhaps Delta could put a check box in our profile that is labeled LMTFAUIEAFS where one could opt in or out of acknowledgement and that would solve this issue and ensuing discussion?
But we all know who you are... Mr. Flintstone.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by spongenotbob

I assume it was, but why call it out?
agree
sounds weird
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
sounds like a lot of the people commenting here are the same people who didn't like the napkins.

that aside, I like when a multibillion multinational corporation recognizes me in some small way. I know that it's all formulaic and not actually personal, but for them to address me by name makes them feel like slightly less of a monolithic corporate behemoth to me. I'm fully aware of what data I provide them, what data is public info, and how all this works, but for the amount of time I spend with DL in a year, it's nice to have the smallest bit of warmth come back
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ethernal
Had some fun decoding that one.. "Leave Me The 'Frick' Alone Unless I Explicitly Ask For Something"?

I'd mark the same checkbox.
I got to Alone, then continued scrolling on the hopes someone else did the hard work. Thank you for coming through.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.