Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Are you <insert job title> with your company?”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

FA’s on my flight today approached several passengers in Y, spiel was:

“<Pax name> Are you <insert job title> with your company? Thank you for choosing Delta”.

Seems rather weird and stalkerrific. I never share who I work for, what I do, etc, and prefer to keep it that way.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
If FA didn't do it with all passengers, maybe it was part of the travel profile submitted for those travelers by their employers?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
If FA didn't do it with all passengers, maybe it was part of the travel profile submitted for those travelers by their employers?
I assume it was, but why call it out?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by spongenotbob

Maybe some people are proud of their company and the job they do and enjoy when others recognize it. Thus, they add it to their profile.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by spongenotbob

Why post a thread about it?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Agree it's odd but definitely something an FA would know. When I check in for flights booked through corporate either online or at the airport kiosk I get a "Delta thanks [my company] for your business" or something along those lines, that specifically states the company I work for
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Maybe the FA didn't know how to pronounce the names and wanted nevertheless to give the passenger some personal greeting/recognition.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
I'd assume its part of the data driven "personalization" that's going on... like the Welcome passenger name on the seat back.

But that is a bit weird asking who they work for. I'm guessing that data could also come thru corporate booking. Just like they show as business trip on the app for corporate trips.
sdadept likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by bretthexum
I'd assume its part of the data driven "personalization" that's going on
They are a multi billion dollar global company, I KNOW they A) dont care who I am B) care what my status is C) care if I use their service or not.

Stupid analytic/data driven stuff like this just annoys customers and probably pisses off more customers than it makes happy. How about you provide me the service for which I paid for and we end it there? I believe that for example my locally owned dry cleaner knows my name and says my name when I drop off or pick up and means it when they say they appreciate my business? yes

Do I think that DL telling FAs to say "hello X blah blah blah" means anything? absolutely not
strickerj and bchandler02 like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Is this gonna be another OPSEC thread? Because this is how we get OPSEC threads.

*makes popcorn*
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:59 pm

This is the ultimate DYKWIA treatment lol
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
FA might ask: Are you chief janitor at Trashex?

Passenger replies: Yes, I am.

Next FA says: Could you please clean the overflowing lavatory on this aircraft?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by vincentharris
Stupid analytic/data driven stuff like this just annoys customers and probably pisses off more customers than it makes happy.
I'm curious to know how you arrived at this belief. Is it based solely on your personal dislike of the use of customer information or is it based on actual data?

(I'm not being a smart aleck here. I'm genuinely curious to know if there is actual research on this type of stuff.)
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:36 am

When I share that I don’t like to be publicly acknowledged, people are sometimes surprised. When I hit MM status, I didn’t want public recogniiton. When I sit in my seat, I don’t want to be called out by name and my status level acknowledged. It’s just my style. Perhaps Delta could put a check box in our profile that is labeled LMTFAUIEAFS where one could opt in or out of acknowledgement and that would solve this issue and ensuing discussion?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
I'm curious to know how you arrived at this belief. Is it based solely on your personal dislike of the use of customer information or is it based on actual data?

(I'm not being a smart aleck here. I'm genuinely curious to know if there is actual research on this type of stuff.)
I'm sure there is some research somewhere, I agree with vincentharris, slightly off topic but in the same vein, about two years ago, when I checked into an SPG property in the UAE, they had printed out my LinkedIn profile and printed on a thank you note in the room. I didn't appreciate it, I think that goes too far. If you want to thank me, thank me for my loyalty and the level I have achieved. Are they googling every guest? it was weird and a bit unsettling for me. Others might appreciate it.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by LA2CDG; May 3, 2020 at 9:11 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.