Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can anyone get an upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:09 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Old Hickory
Don't leave out the free alcohol. Everyone is cool with free alcohol and few extra inches.
However in the specific post being replied to, it was an international trip so free alcohol in Y already.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL DM
My wife and I fly frequently between SJU and ATL, and upgrades have gone from frequent to no UG's ever at the window and 0 FC seats at the gate more times than not. It's coming from DL selling FC for roughly $130 more than what they get for MC each way. It's a no brainer to use CC points or DL miles to cover the difference to buy FC at ticketing, so we wind up making it extra certain that there will be no UG seats at the window or gate. I'm sure DL has thought of this, but it's leading us to get ready to dump the four AMEX cards and go exclusively with the 2 for 1 points cards like Venture and have the flex to fly any airline we choose depending on price and routing. Presumably their marketing understands this is going to naturally happen since DM is now seriously devalued for us.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Lrtalk
My wife and I fly frequently between SJU and ATL, and upgrades have gone from frequent to no UG's ever at the window and 0 FC seats at the gate more times than not. It's coming from DL selling FC for roughly $130 more than what they get for MC each way. It's a no brainer to use CC points or DL miles to cover the difference to buy FC at ticketing, so we wind up making it extra certain that there will be no UG seats at the window or gate. I'm sure DL has thought of this, but it's leading us to get ready to dump the four AMEX cards and go exclusively with the 2 for 1 points cards like Venture and have the flex to fly any airline we choose depending on price and routing. Presumably their marketing understands this is going to naturally happen since DM is now seriously devalued for us.

SJU is primarily a leisure destination so you're pretty much out of luck. Delta aggressively sells that inventory down and is not afraid to show "sold out" for main cabin and F two weeks in advance. As a general rule, there will be no F seats available on leisure routes.

I got bit by this trying to change plans flying back from Cancun a few weeks ago.. sold out cabins (F and Y) left and right.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CarmenOM

Comfort+ is not the equivalent of Premium Economy; it is a regular economy seat with a few inches (3” IIRC) of extra legroom and a bit of extra recline on international (but not domestic) flights. The Delta equivalent of PE is called Premium Select.

I would guess that the chances of getting C+ at the gate are not great, although I’m not familiar with that route. Hope for it but don’t plan on it.
It depends heavily on what day you fly. Just got off of this flight departing LAX on Thursday - 2 D1 seats available at gate and 5 C+ - all middle. I would suspect it heavily depends on your willingness to accept a middle seat.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by ethernal

If there's anything, that's the sham.. those seats don't really exist for most folks unless you book way, way in advance. There's no way a Platinum is getting C+ seats if they're traveling busy times and don't book at least a month in advance.
As a Platinum, I can't think of a single instance where I didn't get C+ if I wanted it. (Sometimes I opt for exit row, instead.)
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by loratliff
As a Platinum, I can't think of a single instance where I didn't get C+ if I wanted it. (Sometimes I opt for exit row, instead.)
You're very lucky. Here's the options I usually see.. and this is a 17 day advanced booking (booking Saturday, Feb 9th for February 28th) - hardly last minute. Booking out this far, there are technically a few flights with C+ if I fly to SEA to LAX (as they run fewer of the abominable 739s on those routes), but all of those disappear if I book a more realistic 10 days out (for Monday, Feb 18). On March 4th - 24 day advanced booking - if you're willing to take a middle seat, there are some options on a few of the routes below (not all) if you're a bit flexible on time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.