Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can anyone get an upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
As a PM you get C+ at the time of booking. Make sure your upgrade preferences are checked for both F and C+.

If there's anything, that's the sham.. those seats don't really exist for most folks unless you book way, way in advance. There's no way a Platinum is getting C+ seats if they're traveling busy times and don't book at least a month in advance.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by ethernal

If there's anything, that's the sham.. those seats don't really exist for most folks unless you book way, way in advance. There's no way a Platinum is getting C+ seats if they're traveling busy times and don't book at least a month in advance.
I disagree. I fly out of MSP, usually book 2-3 weeks ahead of time, and almost always get a window or aisle C+ seat at the time of booking.

Virtually no upgrades to F unless I use an RUC and even then.....

Last edited by CarmenOM; Feb 7, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
ATL connections are slim to no chances of upgrade, even as a diamond.

Upgrade odds improve on non-biz travel days.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:31 pm

First, there are no complimentary medallion upgrades on long haul international, so don't expect those.
I understand this is the rule and don't mean to challenge the assertion - that being said, perhaps it's a vagary of dl.com but I have an upcoming JFK-LHR flight (DL 3) that shows the option to request complimentary upgrades to C+ in the itinerary. I have the option unchecked because I have a travel companion and have us in the big exit row with two seats alone and don't want to accidentally get upgraded and split up in the middle of C+ in the event it does process. My return is ORY-JFK operated by AF and does not have the option to request upgrades.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Upgrades on Delta are directly tied to post count on FlyerTalk. I'm sure of it.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slykens
I understand this is the rule and don't mean to challenge the assertion - that being said, perhaps it's a vagary of dl.com but I have an upcoming JFK-LHR flight (DL 3) that shows the option to request complimentary upgrades to C+ in the itinerary. I have the option unchecked because I have a travel companion and have us in the big exit row with two seats alone and don't want to accidentally get upgraded and split up in the middle of C+ in the event it does process. My return is ORY-JFK operated by AF and does not have the option to request upgrades.
More specifically, there are no Medallion comp upgrades on D1 international. Both domestic and international C+ is comp upgrade eligible for Medallions (at upgrade window on flights that are both DL operated and coded).
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Old Hickory
Upgrades on Delta are directly tied to post count on FlyerTalk. I'm sure of it.
Oh yea... forgot about that policy.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by CarmenOM

I disagree. I fly out of MSP, usually book 2-3 weeks ahead of time, and almost always get a window or aisle C+ seat at the time of booking.

Virtually no upgrades to F unless I use an RUC and even then.....
It could be an ex-ATL thing. If I book any closer than 3-4 weeks in, there is zero chance of C+.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
My upgrade percentage this year as a SEA-based GM is pretty laughable, so I feel your pain. While I dont think that I'm "entitled" to an UG unless I pay for it, it is almost to the point where it shouldn't even be listed as a benefit. I've never had "elite" status with any other airline, so I dont have any other point of reference, but I plan on doing one or two status matches this year just to test the waters. Was planning on hitting PM this year with Delta but I'm not sure anymore.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
FWIW, as a PM this did happen.

Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by slykens
I was referring to D1. Complimentary upgrades are available for C+.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by ethernal

I book many work trips with less than 30 days notice and rarely have this issue. In more than 50 segments last year I didn’t fly in C+ on one flight and it’s because I didn’t want a middle seat in C+. It’s likely route dependent.

One thing to also keep keep in mind about upgrades is Delta is trying to sell those seats. They have made that very clear in multiple investor calls. It’s working. From a marketing perspective they can offer unlimited free upgrades, even if I’m reality it doesnt happen as much as it used to. I used to be above 90% as a PM. Now I buy F half the time because I know I won’t get the upgrade.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:00 pm

I book many work trips with less than 30 days notice and rarely have this issue. In more than 50 segments last year I didn’t fly in C+ on one flight and it’s because I didn’t want a middle seat in C+. It’s likely route dependent.

One thing to also keep keep in mind about upgrades is Delta is trying to sell those seats. They have made that very clear in multiple investor calls. It’s working. From a marketing perspective they can offer unlimited free upgrades, even if I’m reality it doesnt happen as much as it used to. I used to be above 90% as a PM. Now I buy F half the time because I know I won’t get the upgrade.
You are very blessed. I have zero success rate if I book anything less than three weeks in - at least certainly no availability at booking. Sometimes I get a gate upgrade, or even in the days leading up to the flight as people change their plans.

Once you hit 14 days out, availability is completely gone. Maybe if you're willing to do a middle seat and fly offpeak there is a chance - but even that is iffy. If you want a window or aisle, you are pretty much forced to a 30+ day booking window.

I realize this is route dependent as you said, but for me this is just a fact of life for the routes I fly (generally ex-ATL to the West Coast). The biggest single problem is, of course, the fact that Delta insists on flying 739s out West. They have the lowest density of C+ of any configuration - and that is even before taking into consideration the fact that row 11 on the right side is pretty terrible.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA
Originally Posted by kxc262
ATL connections are slim to no chances of upgrade, even as a diamond.

Upgrade odds improve on non-biz travel days.
Tell me about it - I'm SFO based and as I Diamond I have gotten this upgrade all of once over the last few years to ATL, often being as low as 8 or 10 on the list. Even when I've been number 1 it hasn't materialized. Then last December, I was traveling with my non-medallion status wife and we both got upgraded to FC on this route. Go figure.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Have you selected “Upgrade to First Class” In your profile? If that is not selected and only C+ is selected, that’s probably all you’ll ever get.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.