Search

DL 767 or VS 787 in C?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
DL 767 or VS 787 in C?

Not a fan of the VS herringbone. Not a fan of the DL 767 configuration. But I need to choose one.

LHR-SEA-LAX on VS
or
LHR-PDX-LAX on DL.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
since it's a westbound flight you'll probably not sleep as much, so I would go with VS for the service. or you can go to the bar (if that's your thing).
NYC Flyer and hi55us like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL - so you can at least recline your seat and relax.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:38 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
I've done both and would definitely pick Virgin.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I think VS has more of an interesting and fun feel to it, from the lounge (the VS LHR lounge is among the very best business class lounges) to the food and bar in flight.

However, for daytime flights the 767 is consistently given better reviews on FT, especially if you are able to book the bulk head seats which have more room in the footwell. Biggest complaints about the 767 are more related to the flat bed function.

Another factor: how long are the layovers in PDX or SEA? The lounge situation at SEA is far superior to PDX with DL's new lounge there (it's now the best lounge in the Sky Club system).
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL DM
I'm not an expert, but what is C in this context?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by pulpfiction78
Business class. Though this is not a common DL fare class for business and you would usually find J used in this forum.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:53 pm

Last couple of times whem I flew VS in J, I told myself never again (because I hate seat layout). But I made the same commitment to never fly DL 767 again (overall poor experience: seat, ambiance, tired cabin, terrible DL food).

So between the two evels, I would probably go with VS as this is a daytime flight I would want to enjoy experience, nice aircraft, bar, ambiance, food.

But if it was me, I would just save the money and take VS Premium Economy LHR-LAX for daytime flight, its a great product and nonstop would save you a few hours.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:50 am

Depending on which fare class you book, if you are in J/C/D (I think..) fare class directly ticketed and operated by Virgin, you would be eligible for chauffeur service which is quite a nice touch out of LHR. I was burned recently, on being booked in J class but since Delta issued the ticket as opposed to VS, did not get the transfer. Was a big bummer.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Is LHR - JFK - LAX on an A330 ---> 752 an option available to you?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I think VS has more of an interesting and fun feel to it, from the lounge (the VS LHR lounge is among the very best business class lounges) to the food and bar in flight.
You can still use the VS Clubhouse if you're flying DL.

However, for daytime flights the 767 is consistently given better reviews on FT, especially if you are able to book the bulk head seats which have more room in the footwell. Biggest complaints about the 767 are more related to the flat bed function.
Agree that for me, the main issue with the 767 is the narrowness in the shoulders in flat bed mode, which shouldn't really be an issue on a daytime TATL. The regular footwell is okay for me, but I do prefer 1A/D. But again, you don't use much of the footwell if you're not in flat bed mode.

I really like the odd-numbered window seats on the DL 767s so I can look out. I've found DL's food/service to be very good. I haven't flown VS metal in years, but thought their onboard catering was weak (Clubhouse another story).

I guess if you want to be hip, take VS, if you want to relax, take DL.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:47 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by pulpfiction78
Business class. Though this is not a common DL fare class for business and you would usually find J used in this forum.
There is also an overlap/confusion/distinction between class of service and the fare class purchased.

e.g. in FT discussions sometimes F/Y are obviously just talking about the cabin in general, as opposed to full fare F or full fare Y. In that context J or C can refer to the business cabin, for historical reasons.

Why is business class called J?

But it manifests elsewhere; one particular example that comes to mind is that China Airlines boarding passes have a prominent "C" or "Y" to indicate your cabin without regard to the fare class purchased.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: DL Plat
personally i dont understand all the hate towards virgin's j seat. for me i prefer it as there is no cubby for the feet (i sleep on my stomach and tend to toss around - the only cubby i have found not to be restrictive is af's new j seat on the 777) and u can dine with someone by using the ottoman (i dont know of another j product that offers this and its wonderful)
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by runningformqm
personally i dont understand all the hate towards virgin's j seat. for me i prefer it as there is no cubby for the feet (i sleep on my stomach and tend to toss around - the only cubby i have found not to be restrictive is af's new j seat on the 777) and u can dine with someone by using the ottoman (i dont know of another j product that offers this and its wonderful)

The major complaints are that you can't recline very much in the upright position, and in order to be made into a bed it has to be flipped rather than just fully reclined.

VS was an early adopter of flat bed J seats, but they have not innovated their product at all in years. Their product is now two generations behind other carriers (reverse herringbone came after this and is preferred for privacy, and now suites are the latest thing)
ijgordon likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL Plat
The major complaints are that you can't recline very much in the upright position, and in order to be made into a bed it has to be flipped rather than just fully reclined.

VS was an early adopter of flat bed J seats, but they have not innovated their product at all in years. Their product is now two generations behind other carriers (reverse herringbone came after this and is preferred for privacy, and now suites are the latest thing)
to be fair i havent flown on vs in about 7 years so perhaps my feelings would change next time i fly them, the lack of recline doesnt sound ideal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.