DL 767 or VS 787 in C?

Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
The major complaints are that you can't recline very much in the upright position, and in order to be made into a bed it has to be flipped rather than just fully reclined.

VS was an early adopter of flat bed J seats, but they have not innovated their product at all in years. Their product is now two generations behind other carriers (reverse herringbone came after this and is preferred for privacy, and now suites are the latest thing)
I just flew VS RT in the past week, and had a quite pleasant experience. While I did miss being able to recline more fully on the westbound day flight (or even tilt the head portion up while in the flat position), I thought the F&B was decent, and the service ranged from pleasant to wonderful. I did appreciate my feet not being coffin-ized.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke787
Is LHR - JFK - LAX on an A330 ---> 752 an option available to you?
The chance of irrops, delays, etc. on this routing isn't worth it. Almost without exception, those on the West Coast are wisest to get to/from Europe on a nonstop from the West Coast.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by zrs70
Not a fan of the VS herringbone. Not a fan of the DL 767 configuration. But I need to choose one.

LHR-SEA-LAX on VS
or
LHR-PDX-LAX on DL.

Thoughts?
I'm guessing this is a mileage ticket, hence these being the only two options (and no other options including the LHR-LAX nonstop on VS being listed).
I'd opt for VS for the service. I do like the 767 seat a little better (especially if it's an odd row A or D seat spaced a little further away from the aisle and the VS seat only reclines. You can't make a half-bed with it like you can on the 767 or even the other DL seats. But going via SEA would provide more back-up options on SEA-LAX than PDX-LAX, if that's of importance or consideration to you.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Thank you for all the feedback. Yes, this is an award ticket in Business.

One more possibility in the mix: I can also use Alaska miles for BA F: LHR-SEA-LAX.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL DM

One more possibility in the mix: I can also use Alaska miles for BA F: LHR-SEA-LAX.
Be careful with BA and do the research on the aircraft. A little over a year ago I flew my wife r/t LHR (using Alaska miles). Departure was in intl. Business and it was a new cabin, pretty good experience. The return trip was in intl. First and the cabin was probably 20 years old, staff was rude, barely any service or food; the IFE was unusable. I've never flown VS J but just comparing BA, from my wife's review, and D1, I would always choose D1.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

Be sure to research BA fuel surcharges. I did redeem American miles on BA and dealt with the fuel surcharges (and seat selection fees) to get my first 747 ride (and secured the upper deck), which was worth it to me for that reason, at least at the time, but if you dont care about those things, do know what youre looking at for taxes and surcharges as it may make the mileage redemption not worth it to you.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA F is often considered "J+" - their cabins are notably large/dense, although I think the A380 and 789 are supposed to be better. Still, not sure I'd pass up the opportunity to fly in the nose of a 744. Service can be variable (and without going into too much OT detail, it can depend on which flight attendant union operates on the route), but it can be great. And the Concorde Lounge in LHR is nice (though frankly, compared to the VS Clubhouse the only main advantage is probably higher-end alcohol). And frankly the Upper Class Channel is probably a better airport arrival experience than BA F, especially when coupled with an arrival by car.
That said, the surcharges on BA F (and J) awards are absolutely bat-dung absurd, probably $1500 r/t for this itinerary. Plus the miles. That's one of the reasons it's not so difficult to find availability.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium

I would not burn valuable Alaska Miles on BA F, take a look at the surcharges, probably $600+.

To the OPs original question - I would also factor in the customs process at PDX vs.SEA. I know SEA is horrible with a lot more international arrivals. I have never cleared customs in PDX but my gut says it's better.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pulpfiction78
Be careful with BA and do the research on the aircraft. A little over a year ago I flew my wife r/t LHR (using Alaska miles). Departure was in intl. Business and it was a new cabin, pretty good experience. The return trip was in intl. First and the cabin was probably 20 years old, staff was rude, barely any service or food; the IFE was unusable. I've never flown VS J but just comparing BA, from my wife's review, and D1, I would always choose D1.
I've had a different experience in BA F - a few flights so far, and the crews have been delightful, with ok food, and excellent beverages. While the cabins aren't necessarily new and shiny, everything functioned, with lots of space. As for BA J, not even a close comparison seat-wise, to the other options.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by hi55us
I would not burn valuable Alaska Miles on BA F, take a look at the surcharges, probably $600+.

To the OPs original question - I would also factor in the customs process at PDX vs.SEA. I know SEA is horrible with a lot more international arrivals. I have never cleared customs in PDX but my gut says it's better.
If OP has Global Entry this is a non-issue. And again, the lounge situation at SEA is much, much better than PDX. There are also a lot more flights out of SEA if OP runs into any IRROPS. IMO, SEA is hands down better than PDX, so the question is really only about airline preference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.