Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Air France / KLM O paid business class fare earning with Delta (Consolidated Thread)

Air France / KLM O paid business class fare earning with Delta (Consolidated Thread)

Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: DL DM
I have not found 'O' booking class on any routes that with USA, Canada or Mexico as origin or destination (including US to Asia via AMS). But 'O' fares are on Europe-Asia,-Africa,-South America and even -Caribbean. At first I suspected it was inadvertent that DL left 'O' off the earnings chart, but given how specifically KLM excluded 'O' to the North America market, I'm starting to suspect it isn't just an oversight. Alternatively, perhaps the explanation above from rucksack on the fare realignment is correct (I'm not familiar with that process), and the easiest way to implement this was just to apply to all flights to/from North America. Flights like YYZ-AMS and JFK-NRT (via AMS) are not available as DL marketed flights, yet there are no 'O' fares on them.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ajggiant
I have not found 'O' booking class on any routes that with USA, Canada or Mexico as origin or destination (including US to Asia via AMS). But 'O' fares are on Europe-Asia,-Africa,-South America and even -Caribbean. At first I suspected it was inadvertent that DL left 'O' off the earnings chart, but given how specifically KLM excluded 'O' to the North America market, I'm starting to suspect it isn't just an oversight. Alternatively, perhaps the explanation above from rucksack on the fare realignment is correct (I'm not familiar with that process), and the easiest way to implement this was just to apply to all flights to/from North America. Flights like YYZ-AMS and JFK-NRT (via AMS) are not available as DL marketed flights, yet there are no 'O' fares on them.
That's correct as these "O" fares a filed by either KL or AF but NOT the TATL joint venture - if they would file an "O" fare to the US you would be able to buy it on DL.com and then DL would have to state a messeage like "no mileage/MQM/MQD accrual" which they certainly would like to avoid.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rucksack
I don't think that's what this is.

Delta underwent a fare realignment with KL and AF a number of years ago so that fare classes were consistent across the airlines. It seems like KL has gone a bit rogue with their use of the 'O' booking classes here and Delta's published earning chart simply doesn't yet reflect this change. If I had to guess, the fare realignment covered all flights as a matter of convenience, but technically only covered codeshare flights (which AMS-CUR is not), giving KL latitude to make this change.
This issue seems to be coming up more and more on routes to/ from Asia in (normally) really cheap business class. If it was just AF/KL it would be one thing. However other airlines are doing this also.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
And KL does make it difficult to ever see the class of service if booked direct through them. See this summary of an upcoming trip from the KL www site. This is for the LAX-BKK $~2100 deal. I purchased through Chase Rewards and have a receipt that shows Z class for all 4 legs. And I used whatsapp to send the PNR to KL and confirm that all legs are in Z -- within the 24 hour cancel w/o penalty period.
I just requested a copy of the e-ticket from the KL www site to be emailed. Maybe the fare class will appear on that. But it doesn't. Ticket number, non-refund language, but no booking codes.
I get excluding ultra cheap fares from earnings, but just think it should be up-front knowledge.

Last edited by mot29; Feb 28, 2019 at 3:11 pm
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
This issue seems to be coming up more and more on routes to/ from Asia in (normally) really cheap business class. If it was just AF/KL it would be one thing. However other airlines are doing this also.
Its certainly possible, but I just dont view this as a sinister move by KL/AF to avoid paying out miles. After all, these low O fares are eligible to earn miles through FlyingBlue.

As for why the O fares in the first place, its probably a reaction to competitors fares. I dont know how fares are regulated ex-EU, but if its like it is in the US, the additional fare class may be a move to give more flexibility in pricing and avoid having to refile Z fares.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Its certainly possible, but I just dont view this as a sinister move by KL/AF to avoid paying out miles. After all, these low O fares are eligible to earn miles through FlyingBlue.

As for why the O fares in the first place, its probably a reaction to competitors fares. I dont know how fares are regulated ex-EU, but if its like it is in the US, the additional fare class may be a move to give more flexibility in pricing and avoid having to refile Z fares.
This is just like the *A "P" fares. They earn zero in multiple programs despite being business class. My main point being avoiding KL does not prevent the issue from coming up.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Keyser
extended by another 2 days so hopefully it will come to an end on the 28th of february....
now extended till the 14th of march....i don't think this is coming to an end anytime soon....the 'o' class fare seems here to stay....
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by mot29
And KL does make it difficult to ever see the class of service if booked direct through them. See this summary of an upcoming trip from the KL www site. This is for the LAX-BKK $~2100 deal. I purchased through Chase Rewards and have a receipt that shows Z class for all 4 legs. And I used whatsapp to send the PNR to KL and confirm that all legs are in Z -- within the 24 hour cancel w/o penalty period.
I just requested a copy of the e-ticket from the KL www site to be emailed. Maybe the fare class will appear on that. But it doesn't. Ticket number, non-refund language, but no booking codes.
I get excluding ultra cheap fares from earnings, but just think it should be up-front knowledge.
Try entering your ticket number at http://www.saudiairlines.com
mot29 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: Delta GM; FB Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC; National EE
As for why the ‘O’ fares in the first place, it’s probably a reaction to competitors fares. I don’t know how fares are regulated ex-EU, but if it’s like it is in the US, the additional fare class may be a move to give more flexibility in pricing and avoid having to refile Z fares.
Nope, it has just replaced Z. A return trip AMS to one of the carribean islands, restricted and advance sale would be Z last year, now it's O for the same type of fare with similar rules.

Now, for AMS-CUR:

O (O3LSNL) is 75 day advance, non-refundable and non-changeabale. combineability only with Z - base fare EUR 671 per sector
Z (ZSFNL) is 7 day advance, non refundable and 300 euro change fee, combineable with all fares. - base fare EUR 1211 per sector
I (IFFNL) is 5 day advance, refundable and changeable (free), combineable with all fares - base fare 1464 per sector
D (DFFNL) is unrestricted, refundable and changeable (free), combineable with all fares - base fare EUR 1839 per sector
C (CFFNL) is unrestricted, refundable and changeable (free), combineable with all fares - base fare EUR 2589 per sector
J (JFFNL) is almost equivalent to C - base fare EUR 3836 per sector

It all just shifted one class down. Z used to be the 75 day advance reservations fare. The weird thing is the combineability rule for O. If you do an open-jaw with an O fare, the other segment has to be in Z. Might this be an unintentional copy-paste error? Also, the published fares for D, J and C are (almost) equivalent, so the only reason for two different classes here would be to differentiate in price based on inventory, which does not seem a logical thing to do with fully flexible and refundable fares.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by michael_v
Try entering your ticket number at http://www.saudiairlines.com
Thanks, great find. Works with the KL PNR as well.
Sort of like booking seats on MU using the Garuda www site.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
& just like that, both the 'o' & 'z' fares are gone for my date & route....
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
& just like that, both the 'o' & 'z' fares are gone for my date & route....
both the 'o' & 'z' fares are back again....
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:16 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
AKFL O paid business class fare earning with Delta

Hello - I have noticed there is common agreement that paid business AFKL O class fares do not earn anything with Delta. Is this correct?

I
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Correct. Till DL updates KLM earnings, KLM O wont earn.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
One of the biggest irks right now. Nothing for a ( low ) paid business class ticket but full credit for the cheapest "light" fare on the same flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.