Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

UA is launching a 50-seater with 10F, 20Y+, 20Y; Will DL follow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA is launching a 50-seater with 10F, 20Y+, 20Y; Will DL follow?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
No way Delta does this. First off I want to see the economics that show they can fly a CRJ700 equivalent around with 50 passengers and make money.

Also, how do those luggage bins help F? Would you want to put your bag behind your seat?

We’ll see how these work for UA when they actually fly. Time will tell.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
UA likes to promise things - Polaris - with a very slow rollout. Time will tell.
FWIW, UA now has 5 Polaris lounges, something like 50 aircrafts with Polaris hard product, with more being delivered/retrofitted every month.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Can these be converted back to CR7 configuration when fuel prices bite them?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wonder whether the self serve will include alcohol and hot beverages, or how often it won't work due to turbulence (I think UA knows this word, but I hesitate to say it in the DL forum). It also sounds like Y+ and Y won't even be served water. The self serve reminds me of the period when TWA lunchtime transcons had a cold fried chicken buffet set up in the galley.
Originally Posted by Often1
The service standard for F is unclear. There is no suggestion that the FA won't handle PDB's and perhaps a drinks pass through the cabin, but it is a nice touch to have the self-serve area for the longer flight with only one FA.
Even if currently envisioned, I suspect that FA feedback will eventually quash anything but bottled water and bagged snacks left out for self service. Ice will get too messy and liquor minis will get depleted for either inflight or post-flight consumption. F pax will end up having to wait for the single FA to cycle back from coach duties for anything significant.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
Actually yes, several of these are actually just being converted from the existing GoJet CR7 fleet.

Delta will definitely not follow suit here. This is only a way for UA to increase regional flying while getting around their much more restrictive scope clause relative to DL and AA. It doesn't matter so much if these planes are super economical, as they're likely not too different from a 25 year old CRJ-200.

The choice for both airlines is either more norrowbodies to up their RJ limit, or more <50 seaters. DL chose the former, UA's chosen the latter.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
Originally Posted by Agremeister
Actually yes, several of these are actually just being converted from the existing GoJet CR7 fleet.

Delta will definitely not follow suit here. This is only a way for UA to increase regional flying while getting around their much more restrictive scope clause relative to DL and AA. It doesn't matter so much if these planes are super economical, as they're likely not too different from a 25 year old CRJ-200.

The choice for both airlines is either more norrowbodies to up their RJ limit, or more <50 seaters. DL chose the former, UA's chosen the latter.
depends.
If United back fills with additions 70 seaters then no they can't be converted back. If United pulls the 50 CR7s out of the 103 70 seaters they are allowed and doesn't replace them with more 70 seaters, then yes, they can go back to being 70 seaters. (but i give that a .0000001% chance of happening)

Interestingly enough, If Delta takes all the orders on the books and doesn't replace anything, they are over both the 103 and 223 limits allowed by DALPA for 70 and 76 seat jets.

I have a suspicion the 9 E75s OO just ordered will replace the 7 CR9s are GoJet and 2 other 76 seaters at DCI (which will put DCI at 223)

I also bet GoJet buys the current CR7s the operate for Delta and move them to CRJ-550s at United. Those 22 plus the current 25 GoJets operate for UAX will give them 47 of the 50 CRJ-550s.
and with the current order book will put Delta 11 under the 103 70 seater cap.

and I bet OO order 11 more E75SCs or CR9s with 70 seaters to fill the need.

Just a guess on how I see this playing out. Also betting the 36 E75s at Compass head to Skywest as well.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Agremeister

UA doesn't have a more restrictive scope clause than DL according to what I have seen https://crankyflier.com/2018/03/19/s...-really-wants/

UA doesn't want to by the small mainline plane that Delta did with both the 717 and the A220. So I feel zero percent bad for UA. Their scope relief is available to them right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.