Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Policy violation or just bad luck? Upgrades clear at T-80 before check-ins finish

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Policy violation or just bad luck? Upgrades clear at T-80 before check-ins finish

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:50 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ethernal
Interesting and fair counterpoint - it does not match what I've seen (I regularly see people clear from standby into C+/First but not once have I seen a "line jumper" like you've described) but interesting first hand data.

I don't think this applies in this case since (a) there was availability in the cabin - from early afternoon to time of departure - meaning they could have been booked into it in the case of IRROPS - and (b) the red coat confirmed that it was an upgrade (both the F and C+ seats). I asked if they were ticketed in their cabins and they said no, they were upgrades. Of course it is possible that the redcoat was misinformed (wouldn't be the first time) but given all the circumstances it seems clear they were upgrades. Doubly so for the C+ upgrade (which is the one I cared most about).
If there was availability then I'm also curious to know what happened, as I also have jumped the line in a similar situation and again, due to irrops. I reported what happened on another thread several months ago, but to summarize, I was flying IAD-ATL-FLL and IAD-ATL was delayed several hours before departure time. I had been already upgraded to F in the PM window and was re-accommodated to DCA-ATL in C+. Minutes after, I noticed how I went from the UG list to cleared, jumping several people who were higher on the list. Up until now this remains a mistery.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by MarkCron
I'd say it is bad luck. They cleared upgrades before you checked in.
I'd be pissed too, but I would not expect a GA to de-upgrade the person who was upgraded to C+ - that is not a valid request.
Would love to hear if DL gives you a definitive statement on gate upgrade windows.
Yes, based on the responses it seems like there is no official window for when they occur. I tried to find something on the Delta site, and it is ambiguous. I've had gate agents tell me that they aren't supposed to clear until T-45 - but that is hearsay so who knows what is true or not. In my complaint I asked explicitly what the policy is.. I'll definitely report back if I get an answer (my guess is I won't - at least not to that part).

As far as the legitimacy of the de-upgrade question - I've been de-upgraded before, so clearly it is not outside the realm of what is possible and what Delta is willing to do. You can argue that it was an unreasonable ask - maybe it was - but I've been on the other side of it before and I accepted it (the gate agent explained clearly what had happened, apologized, and returned me to my original seat - and I was okay with that).
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SDQBound
If there was availability then I'm also curious to know what happened, as I also have jumped the line in a similar situation and again, due to irrops. I reported what happened on another thread several months ago, but to summarize, I was flying IAD-ATL-FLL and IAD-ATL was delayed several hours before departure time. I had been already upgraded to F in the PM window and was re-accommodated to DCA-ATL in C+. Minutes after, I noticed how I went from the UG list to cleared, jumping several people who were higher on the list. Up until now this remains a mistery.
That is weird. I have mixed emotions about this - appreciate Delta trying to "make things right" after IRROPS, but also annoyed by the lack of transparency.

If it was a few years ago I could explain it by you getting re-ticketed with Y after you got your reservation moved (which used to shoot you to the very top of the upgrade list - above everything else) but sounds like it was more recent than that.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by MarkCron
I'd say it is bad luck. They cleared upgrades before you checked in.
I'd be pissed too, but I would not expect a GA to de-upgrade the person who was upgraded to C+ - that is not a valid request.
Would love to hear if DL gives you a definitive statement on gate upgrade windows.
This. It has happened to me before. And the gate agent basically said "oops". I learned my lesson and remember to check-in before getting to security now. But if buying a last minute ticket - yeah, this is a hole in the process.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
I'm a little surprised (okay, perhaps not surprised) by all of the Delta apologists here.
I don't think there are many here who would classify me as an apologist. I think we are trying to come up with a rational explanation for your experience.

(and to be clear, I'm pretty sure they weren't as this is a route that few Diamonds would burn a RUC on.
Might be a platinum wanting to bump up the list for an upgrade. Could even be a former Plat such as myself who would have no shot at an upgrade, but has a few RUCs.

As far as "taking a breath" and not complaining - why do I care what Delta thinks about me? If I have a justified issue with them, I am going to complain. What are they going to do? Ban me from flying the airline? Delta is not a friend that I need to worry about my relationship with. In addition, had their front line customer service not been so atrocious (and as I already admitted, I got a little haughty, so I take some responsibility for the exchange - but when I say "haughty" I mean pointed questions and not expressing tons of deference to the gate agent), I probably would have been much more amenable to "letting this go."
If this is the worst thing to happen to you this year you will have had a very good year. At the end of the day, you rode in the seat you purchased and you got where you were supposed to go. Customer service in ATL is not good, and we all know that. If Delta wanted it fixed, it would have been fixed.

In your complaint, what would you like for Delta to do? Do you want some miles, do you want a voucher, do you want an apology? My suggestion is to call Customer Care and maybe they will provide compensation. They have been good to me in the past, but I rarely call them. The only times I have called them about upgrades were when I had an RUC pulled for a broken FC seat (GA would not give me back my old coach seat), and when I had a gate upgrade/downgrade and the RUC was pulled anyway though I rode in coach.

Because I booked T-180, I could not get my "usual" seat assigned on the Diamond line (36C) as the plane had already moved to gate control so I was in a regular Y middle seat. Not pleasant.
I have had some luck twice with the SkyClub agents nabbing me a better seat even within a couple of hours of departure.

There are times when Delta's IT just ralphs and does something bad. For me it is typically the mishandling of an RUC.

Open question - does anybody know for sure if Comfort+ upgrades have the exact same priority as FC upgrades? Logically it would seem they should, but I'm sure we have all seen upgrade lists where FC and C+ passengers were listed in different orders.

David
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One obvious difference is that RUCs/GUCs should not affect position on the C+ "upgrade" list, but I suspect that there are more/bigger differences in the lists than can be explained this way.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DiverDave
I don't think there are many here who would classify me as an apologist. I think we are trying to come up with a rational explanation for your experience.
I wasn't talking about you specifically

Might be a platinum wanting to bump up the list for an upgrade. Could even be a former Plat such as myself who would have no shot at an upgrade, but has a few RUCs.
I was repeatedly told that it was a Diamond medallion that cleared into F. They could still have been on a RUC of course, but I really don't think that was the case. A RUC would have cleared on this in advance, and given that they were in a C+ seat already (11D was the seat that they were upgraded from), so they were not a last minute booking. Of course, they could have applied it after check-in or a day before the flight, but I am playing probabilities here. Either way, I never asked for the F seat since I knew that was a question mark - I asked for the C+ seat.

If this is the worst thing to happen to you this year you will have had a very good year. At the end of the day, you rode in the seat you purchased and you got where you were supposed to go. Customer service in ATL is not good, and we all know that. If Delta wanted it fixed, it would have been fixed.
I have a high tolerance for travel issues. Delays due to weather - or even MX - don't bother me. Running an airline is hard. Delta does a decent job of getting me from point A to point B mostly on time. What bothers me are things that shouldn't be a problem. This is one of those things. They irk me far more than legitimate IRROPS. Phantom equipment changes leading to seat swaps and me losing a C+ seat even though the plane configuration didn't change? Red flag. Moving my seat at the gate without my permission to accommodate a family traveling on a Basic Economy ticket? Annoying. Publishing an upgrade priority and then not adhering to that upgrade priority? Downright irksome.

These issues may be trivial, but if Delta wants to charge $1400 for a one way Y ticket I expect them to be on point with their processes and procedures. And for the record, I walked from the flight. I had to get work done last night, and I couldn't risk not being able to work by being sandwiched in a middle seat. While challenging, at least in an aisle seat I can pivot my laptop out even if the person next to me is a person of size. As there were no aisle seats available I walked. I will just be virtual this week as the thing I didn't want to miss is happening this morning and I would have missed it if I flew today.

In your complaint, what would you like for Delta to do? Do you want some miles, do you want a voucher, do you want an apology? My suggestion is to call Customer Care and maybe they will provide compensation. They have been good to me in the past, but I rarely call them. The only times I have called them about upgrades were when I had an RUC pulled for a broken FC seat (GA would not give me back my old coach seat), and when I had a gate upgrade/downgrade and the RUC was pulled anyway though I rode in coach.
I don't want compensation. I have never asked for, nor received, compensation from Delta (other than 2500 SkyPesos for a catering incident that was offered proactively). I want the issue to be fixed - either publish the earliest time that gate upgrades are supposed to clear, or clear them consistently at T-45 or whatever time their internal policy says they should clear.

There are times when Delta's IT just ralphs and does something bad. For me it is typically the mishandling of an RUC.

Open question - does anybody know for sure if Comfort+ upgrades have the exact same priority as FC upgrades? Logically it would seem they should, but I'm sure we have all seen upgrade lists where FC and C+ passengers were listed in different orders.
RUCs and GUCs don't impact C+ upgrade position - so C+ is a truer "pecking order" than the F upgrade list. I fly a lot of busy routes so it is easy to see when RUCs are applied and when they're not (e.g., I may be #1 or #2 on the C+ upgrade list, someone is #1 on the F upgrade list, but they may be #7 on the C+ upgrade list).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azeckel
This. It has happened to me before. And the gate agent basically said "oops". I learned my lesson and remember to check-in before getting to security now. But if buying a last minute ticket - yeah, this is a hole in the process.
I would have been much more amenable to being told "oops" than being looked at like I was crazy and didn't know what I was talking about.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
I was repeatedly told that it was a Diamond medallion that cleared into F. They could still have been on a RUC of course, but I really don't think that was the case. A RUC would have cleared on this in advance, and given that they were in a C+ seat already (11D was the seat that they were upgraded from), so they were not a last minute booking. Of course, they could have applied it after check-in or a day before the flight, but I am playing probabilities here.
One other thing I'm not sure you have considered. It was ex-ATL on Monday after the superbowl. I am making a bold assumption that every single seat (or at least a very great number versus other days) to every destination was booked as Y-fare. That isn't to say that all tickets were the same price, but it's the fare class that defines the upgrade priority, not the actual ticket price. When Indy hosted, they had 747s flying in and out and the only fares available months in advance were Y or F. No discounted tickets at all.

I switched to a connection in ATL yesterday to avoid weather in MSP. It was re-booked as Y fare with fare difference and everything. As a DM on Y fare I was #4 on the upgrade list on a regional jet to Des Moines. At first I was shocked - then I realized that if every seat on the plane was sold as Y, then yeah ... I booked it later than other diamonds, so I would be lower in priority.

It may not have mattered in your case, but the use of RUCs is probably of no materiality to this discussion.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Delta responded to my complaint and I received the following response (in addition to 9000 SkyMiles - which I did not ask for - and the first time I've ever gotten SkyMiles in response to a complaint, so at least someone thought it was a big deal). It was also the first time I've received a response from someone tagged as a Supervisor (probably doesn't mean much, but still, looks like the complaint got escalated for research).

Here's the relevant part of the response:

Originally Posted by Delta Customer Service
"You are correct, upgrades are supposed to be processed 45 minuted to departure. Our goal is to provide consistent and accurate information to our passengers at all times. Thanks for taking the time to let us know that the upgrades for your flight were done incorrectly. I'm really sorry you didn't get the service you deserved. I will be sending your concerns to the Airport Customer Service leadership team in Atlanta to make sure they are processing upgrades correctly, and provide internal coaching for these agents."
So there's your official answer. Kudos to Delta for actually responding with their policy rather than an ambiguous "I'm sorry, but we clear upgrades any time we want" and also providing the compensation.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles DM
I had a somewhat similar experience on SAN-MSP-DCA flight with upgrades assigned way earlier than T-45. Work trip, so Main Cabin tickets bought through Concur. I am DM, so I got upgraded to C+ right after ticketing. Unfortunately, on the MSP-DCA section, only C+ available were middle seats.

Day of travel - while I am on my SAN-MSP flight, I notice App was showing 2 seats available on C+ list for MSP-DCA, but seat maps were greyed out. Thought I'd try to get to the gate agent and see if the 2 seats in C+ are window/aisle and if I can change to one of them before they process the upgrades. As I am making my way to the gate at MSP, my App tells me upgrades have processed - both C+ to window seats! This is at ~T -75! (yes, I obsessively check my app )

I was bummed - if they had waited for the usual ~T-45 upgrade, there was a chance for me to get a window. I guess it was a lucky day for whoever did get the C+ upgrade. It was a short flight, so I didn't mind that much, but the inconsistency in sticking to a time in processing upgrades was irritating.
I sent feedback via Twitter DM - got an apology but no miles.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Ok, so what happens to the $1,400 you paid for the ticket?

PS. 9,000 may be their current magic number. When I was on the phone and commented about my IFE experience not working for a trip the CSR said "I can give you 9000 [pesos] for that" without me asking, and no questions asked.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
deleted
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wimsta
Ok, so what happens to the $1,400 you paid for the ticket?

PS. 9,000 may be their current magic number. When I was on the phone and commented about my IFE experience not working for a trip the CSR said "I can give you 9000 [pesos] for that" without me asking, and no questions asked.
It was refundable so I just took the money back (it was also within 24 hours of ticketing so technically it just got voided - I was never actually charged).

Re: the 9K - I bet anything under 10K can be done without any escalated approval, and so 9K is just a nice round number to use (rather than 9500 or 9999 or something).
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
It was refundable so I just took the money back (it was also within 24 hours of ticketing so technically it just got voided - I was never actually charged).

Re: the 9K - I bet anything under 10K can be done without any escalated approval, and so 9K is just a nice round number to use (rather than 9500 or 9999 or something).
I guess that should have been self explanatory, but I've never had fully refundable before. Thanks for being patient, so much snark today.

Seems like a good guess on the 9k, status and comp history may play into it, but it's just miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.