DL flight out of Chattanooga

Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

DL flight out of Chattanooga

I live north of Atlanta in Roswell and we’re looking at flying out of CHA instead of ATL in June due to a sizable fare difference. Both flights are Delta flights. Have any of you done that instead of Hartsfield-Jackson? Did you feel the longer drive to CHA was OK to rationalize a difference in fare and how is the airport to navigate?

Last edited by GLewis; Feb 3, 2019 at 3:27 pm
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: MilagePlus
I have driving to Augusta, GA in order to save about $300 dollars and connect in ATL. The drive was worth it for me because of where I live. I would say “yes” but I’m a light packer and don’t mind connecting. Price is my key factor in choosing my flights.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

The good thing is we’d be connecting through Detroit regardless ... so it’d either be Atlanta to Detroit and on to Beijing or Chattanooga to Detroit. The only thing we’d be losing is a longer drive to get to the airport.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by GLewis
... how is the airport to navigate?
CHA is a typical small/medium airport. You will have no problems navigating.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hyatt
The good thing is we’d be connecting through Detroit regardless ... so it’d either be Atlanta to Detroit and on to Beijing or Chattanooga to Detroit. The only thing we’d be losing is a longer drive to get to the airport.
Originally Posted by RRDD
CHA is a typical small/medium airport. You will have no problems navigating.
I’m not completely positive, but I think CHA only one flight per day each way to/from DET, in a CRJ.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
25 years ago, I flew out of CHA all the time when DL had regular jets.

Now my friends from a nearby city say that DL flights out of CHA are prone to be late. I did ATL-CHA-ATL with no problems but that was a first time in two or so years.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I live north of Atlanta in Roswell and we’re looking at flying out of CHA instead of ATL in June due to a sizable fare difference. Both flights are Delta flights. Have any of you done that instead of Hartsfield-Jackson? Did you feel the longer drive to CHA was OK to rationalize a difference in fare and how is the airport to navigate?
The majority of my international flights have been out of LAX instead of PHX, a much greater difference than what Google says Roswell to CHA takes. So yeah definitely I'd do it.

For a little extra perspective, my in-laws are nearly 100mi (the drive you're asking about) from their nearest international airport.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
CHA is my home airport....25+ flights a year out of our little 5 gate (4 used) airport.

- Parking was crowded last year, but they've made some expansions and seems much easier now - never more than 3-4 minutes walk to the terminal.
- I've never spent more than 10 minutes in line at the counter
(granted, I use the SP line, but both lines never build up unless it an 8am Monday morning flight, then I imagine it could take 15 minutes.)
- Walk to security is about a minute.
- 1-2 lines of security, with quasi-Pre: electronics/liquids come out regardless
- Rare to have more than 10 people in security line (I fly the opposite of busy times (travel outbound Thurs, back Mon) and I'm never early for a flight...that's when I see longer lines)
- Security moves pretty quick, never more than 10 minutes either
- Walk to gate 3 or 5: 30 seconds

If I'm checking bags, I generally get to the airport 35 minutes before the flight, no bags: 15...just in time for boarding as I walk out of security

And for being cheap, I commonly check prices out of ATL, BHM, TYS and BNA - all two hours drive.
95% of the time, CHA is cheaper or not more expensive vs time/gas/ATL parking or Groome shuttle to ATL/BNA
And I loathe the drive to ATL...done it too many times, or the fact I have to go around Atlanta to get to ATL.

DL currently has two flights to DTW: 7am and 7pm I think. They are adding a 3pm later this year.
I generally avoid that connection as it's nearly 2 hours on a CRJ to DTW.
Connection birds to ATL are commonly CRJ, sometimes CRJ7/900s, but only 25 mins - other mainline metal are 717s, MD88s. (they used A319s for a very short stint)
DL also hops to LGA...at least they did last Oct that I took to DCA to see something new besides Hartsfield.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
OP might want to investigate the van service operated by Groome Transportation. If there is a pickup point nearby, it could save parking costs and the drive to CHA.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, Marriott, Hertz, National, Chic-fil-A
I have taken CHA-ATL-ELP and back once purely out of the interest to save money for my then bankrupt employer back in 2012. I found the experience pleasant in many respects: saved about $400 r/t vs. ATL-ELP, I got 1000 more MQM out of the additional segment, got to ride the DC-9 one last time, and the drive from Buckhead to CHA was predictable and had no surprises. CHA airport is easy to navigate and quiet.

I would definitely do it again if there was an appreciable cost savings.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I don't see the longer drive as any issue at all given the unpredicatability of Atlanta traffic and the modest time lost at the airport. I work in Kennesaw and would consider the drive a wash from there.

The only real issue is few alternative flights.. If cancelled you have a much more serious issue than if at ATL.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I live in Dalton so prefer CHA anyway. It is lower cost, it gives you 2 extra segments, 1000 extra MQMs and it really is a great airport and security is a breeze though only has TSA Lite.
silverthief2 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by ecaarch
OP might want to investigate the van service operated by Groome Transportation. If there is a pickup point nearby, it could save parking costs and the drive to CHA.
My wife does this as she prefers direct flights. Picks up in Dalton too.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
Originally Posted by exwannabe
I don't see the longer drive as any issue at all given the unpredicatability of Atlanta traffic and the modest time lost at the airport. I work in Kennesaw and would consider the drive a wash from there.

The only real issue is few alternative flights.. If cancelled you have a much more serious issue than if at ATL.
I'm also i Kennesaw. I have never taken a flight out of CHA, but some coworkers that live a bit farther norht have. They have no issues. They just have to get up a little earlier to catch that flight to connect in ATL.
Now that the NW Corridor has opened, is not as bad getting home when I land around 2-3pm.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: Delta
Like BHammy, I check the flights for all of the area airports and often find Chattanooga and/or Nashville to be less expensive and I welcome the miles and segments for medallion. If you care about checking vs carry on - my advice would be to look at the flight details and see which flights are CRJ200 vs 700 or 900 (or larger birds I think I have taken an MD-88 there once?) - the little CRJ200 does have very small overheads so anything bigger than backpack often needs to be gate checked. I previously lived near Alpharetta and now live near Dawsonville, driving to Chattanooga takes me about 2 hours, but I allow 2.5 for construction. Driving to Hartsfield Jackson takes me 1 to almost 2 hours depending on traffic and events downtown.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.