DL SEA <-> KIX Cancelled after Nov

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

DL SEA <-> KIX Cancelled after Nov

Did DL silently kill this route, its not show any availability from Nov onwards
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Yeah flight is only bookable until Oct 25. Wouldn't surprise me if DL only flew the route seasonally, or it's possible the route isn't meeting DL's expectations already based on advance bookings.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Welp, that didn't take long. Have they even started flying this route yet? Thought it started in April. Was hoping to fly this at some point this year, but it looks like it wont be around long enough.

Looks like KE will continue to be the only viable option for Skyteam members looking to cross the Pacific. Bleck.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Wouldn't be surprised to see it seasonal and back in the spring. Winter tends to have lower load factors for TPAC; back in the day DL attempted to make SEA-HND effectively seasonal too.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
If anything pushes me to leave DL, it will be the sorry state of their US-Asia routes.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by acrophobia
If anything pushes me to leave DL, it will be the sorry state of their US-Asia routes.
Agreed, their TPAC network is pretty terrible. At the same time, I can't fault them for it.. it's a bloodbath out there right now.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
Welp, that didn't take long. Have they even started flying this route yet? Thought it started in April. Was hoping to fly this at some point this year, but it looks like it wont be around long enough.

Looks like KE will continue to be the only viable option for Skyteam members looking to cross the Pacific. Bleck.
No it starts in April. Based on a few random flight searches, the flights look pretty full the first couple of weeks in April (not surprising because of cherry blossoms) but the loads drop off and look a bit light the couple of weeks after that. I actually thought that TPE was a better fit than KIX was (before BR doubled down on the route), but maybe DL's relationship with CI isn't that good and DL's planners know better than we all do.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by acrophobia
I thought something similar last fall when I realized they had discontinued service to HKG, which I visit every year, but then I flew KE via ICN, and it was a good experience and earned full MQM/MQD/RDM, so I shrugged it off. Note: I booked directly with KE, and was able to select seats at booking (via chat on KE's website).
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Daitheflu84

I think MU and CI are also quite viable, in fact I prefer MU over KE.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:33 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Has there always been a KIX-HNL flight? I was just looking at LAX-KIX flights and got that HNL connection on Oct 27 on the return.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
Has there always been a KIX-HNL flight? I was just looking at LAX-KIX flights and got that HNL connection on Oct 27 on the return.
Yeah. It's an existing DL station - probably a reason DL started SEA-KIX - whereas they just closed their ops @ TPE a couple years ago. I think NW flew HNL-KIX? NW's footprint in Japan was so significant at one point it seemed like it was a Japanese airline.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
How much of DL's lack of interest in these routes is due to other US airlines having all of the government travel city pairs in Asia except US to NGO?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:08 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Originally Posted by ab2013
Yeah. It's an existing DL station - probably a reason DL started SEA-KIX - whereas they just closed their ops @ TPE a couple years ago. I think NW flew HNL-KIX? NW's footprint in Japan was so significant at one point it seemed like it was a Japanese airline.
Well it was call Northwest Orient for a reason!

Seems overall pennywise, pound foolish for Delta to still have given up so much in the long run, with most of the population in the world in Asia. Yes more point-to-point travel is going to happen but lots of us are having issues with getting to where we need for major cities. KE isn't super desirable for me (no PE option), CI's earnings aren't good (though I like the airline)....and I'm not getting on a mainland Chinese airline (my mom would disown me & the friends trip reports and solidly not good).
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: Priority Club Pl, Marriot Gold, Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, TSA Pre✓
About Delta TPAC

We are currently in the the last month of a 3 month stay in Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok. We flew TPA-ATL-ICN-SIN on Delta and KE metal. We are not happy with the 9 hours of layover in ICN.

In May we go back but are routing differently. TPA-DTW-NRT-SIN on all Delta metal. We hope that Delta keeps this route. Otherwise we will choose another airline like Singapore or United because both have nonstop flights to SIN from the USA.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
Yes, of course, but it's massively scaled down nowadays. Now it's only 1x daily and on a tiny 767, vs. the 2 x daily 747 and A330 how it used to be until not long ago..

DL marketing and sales is really poor and DL is down to less than 30% of its earlier capacity, thus having approximately four-fold having shrunk its Japan market share over the last few years.

Just recently (January) HNL-FUK was canceled as of after the end of golden week in May - with less than five months notice. Now SEA-KIX. DL seems to have effectively no marketing know-how or ability the last few years, given how rapidly it's shrinking and giving away market share to others in the TPAC market.
(I am not talking here LCCs like Air Asia X or Scoot who fly from from KIX to US (HNL), but airlines that are a few tiers above DL adding capacity, like NH 4x A380s dedicated to TYO-HNL, while DL has shrunk it more than six fold seat number wise to 1x daily tiny 767 vs 4x daily 747s/A330s of just a few years ago, for example. Whenever DL cuts capacity, others add. There is strong demand for premium travel (e.g. NH is adding F in addition to J in its A380s), yet DL's premium cabins in its 767s are tiny and sub-par to every other airline flying the same routes. Massive retreat is the best way to describe the state of DL [total lack of] marketing and sales.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.