Wiki Posts
Search

Got to go Got to go Got to go!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Got to go Got to go Got to go!

I ended up in a middle seat in an International flight and the girl sitting on the aisle seat wouldn't let me pass through to use the Toilet!
I did everything I could-stood up, coughed, spoke, rapped on the hand rest, ...Finally, her companions on the other side of the aisle woke her up. What do you do in situations like that?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Did you try just stepping over her without waking her up or going out the other side?

You could also try hitting the FA call button
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Duke787
Did you try just stepping over her without waking her up or going out the other side?

You could also try hitting the FA call button
It could have been a 777 and the friend was opposite the aisle and only one way out.
Or a single aisle aircraft.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
This is why I wear a catheter and Depends on long flights.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Stand up on you seat, then step over to the aisle armrest, then jump off. It might help to open the overhead bins so you have a handhold. This is a lot safer than trying to jump directly from your seat as that risks a serious head-splat against the far seats.

On a more serious answer, this is one reason why I avoiding middle seats is one of my main priorities in booking. One in the last 10 years (a C+ upgrade on a short flight by mistake).
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:30 pm

Someone has to sit in the middle seats on a busy flight.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Someone has to sit in the middle seats on a busy flight.
Yes, we all know that.

I did not notice where the OP was complaining about middle... just wanting to go to bathroom.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
If she was asleep, how could she "let" you out or not let you get out -?, she would be oblivious to your plight. Shake them (gently) awake and tell them you have to get out. I've encountered the same problem and climbed over legs or wedged myself between their knees and the seat in front of them......guaranteed, they usually wake up and move to let me out. One tries to be as mindful as possible and not get up many times but seriously, I'm not apologizing for having to get out of a row. What are you going to do otherwise, sit there uncomfortable for hours on end or worse, have an accident? Don't make it sound like getting stuck in a middle seat is punishment and you have to sit there as though you are some shackled prisoner.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Ambassador, WN CP
Originally Posted by Gynob001
I ended up in a middle seat in an International flight and the girl sitting on the aisle seat wouldn't let me pass through to use the Toilet!
I did everything I could-stood up, coughed, spoke, rapped on the hand rest, ...Finally, her companions on the other side of the aisle woke her up. What do you do in situations like that?
I feel these are the situations where you have to realize there are advantages and disadvantages of selecting your seat location. On a long haul flight, sitting on the aisle, I can expect to be getting up more than a few times. Now, this doesn't bother me as I have an incredibly difficult time sleeping on flights.

Probably better to try to politely wake them up than to try to squeeze past them, they could get the wrong idea and then you'll be in a world of pain
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I always get an aisle seat

I always make sure to tell anyone trapped by me don't hesitate to wake me up to get out, that way they don't feel guilty for waking me up or whatever
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I always get an aisle seat

I always make sure to tell anyone trapped by me don't hesitate to wake me up to get out, that way they don't feel guilty for waking me up or whatever
That what's I do, be considerate and let them know ahead of time. If I think that I'm not going to want to be woken up, I select a window.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
You tapped and coughed. When did you speak up and ask her to move?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Gynob001
Obviously you'd body check her in this scenario.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:52 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
What's a middle seat?!?

Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by carlosnunez.dfw
Obviously you'd body check her in this scenario.
That sounds too risky. I think the safest option is to apply the lateral vascular restraint until she blacks out and goes limp then roll her into the aisle allowing safe and comfortable exit to use the facilities. On return press the call button to notify flight attendants your neighbour appears to be intoxicated and has passed out on the floor so they can suitably be arrested on arrival as a reasonable consequence for causing you such inconvenience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.