Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Learned my lesson and paid my tuition (missing flight)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Learned my lesson and paid my tuition (missing flight)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by hjz131
Yes the check-in agent did check with his supervisor, but the supervisor said the rule is the rule. I guess I was just not lucky, the check-in agent wasted like 10 min on his computer trying to figure out the situation, and called supervisor afterward.
I've recently had bumbly check in agents where I got there 10+ mins before the deadline. They tried to print the tag but couldn't.

A Red Coat told the agent to hand write the bag tag (they had stickers with empty fields for them to fill in details) and they did that and it made it onto an international flight just fine.

Had no idea DL could do that. But if I'm at the counter with minutes to spare and their agents misses the cutoff - thats always on them, not on me.

Good point, I can just print a boarding pass at the self-checkin machine. I have a suitcase with a confusing size -- slightly too large for carry-on, but slightly smaller than the TSA machine, I should travel with it next time.
Exactly this. If I'm late and have a bag that fits TSA, and the airport doesn't have line nazis (I'm looking at BOS, PHL, and sometimes downstairs LAX) then I always take it to the gate.

Last time I showed up to the gate with 2 roller suitcases and 2 personal items. Agent at first wasn't pleased (because she thought I wanted to take it all on board) so she said "You have another person traveling with you?"

And I replied "No m'aam, but I am not trying to take these on board. You can check the 2 suitcases." She was much more pleasant after that, and it probably helped that I had 3 free checked bags as DM/being in F (but hadn't used any on that reservation). So this is always an option as long as your bag can pass the TSA carry on security check (aka no big liquids)
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:56 am
ftv

Programs: AS MVP 100K, F9 dirt Hilton damond, Choice Gold, Former DL Plat, UA 1K
Delta has been good to me, on the very few times I missed a bag drop deadline, about letting me sign bag a waiver accepting responsibility if my bag does not make the flight. Each time, FYI, my bag made it just fine
NYC Flyer and kthomas like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:15 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by SecurityTheaterFanClubPresident
Am I the only one wondering how much that Lyft would be?
I just checked and it came back with $166... wouldn't want to know what it would be during rush hour and with possible surge pricing though.
kthomas likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Good point, I can just print a boarding pass at the self-checkin machine. I have a suitcase with a confusing size -- slightly too large for carry-on, but slightly smaller than the TSA machine, I should travel with it next time.
No, the kiosk locks you out a bit before the deadline, but an agent can print or reprint the boarding pass if you've done OLCI.

Originally Posted by Jeff767
The time limits are based on the requirements that all bags go to TSA for inspection. If they accepted the bag it likely would not have made the flight and Delta would have been on the hook for delivery charges.
Not necessarily. I've seen late bags accepted with the understanding that if it doesn't appear, you must return to the airport (or stay and wait for it) to get the bag. For instance, this can happen if you're allowed to do SDS/SDC after checking a bag, since domestic flights don't require bag matching.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
You probably could have boarded the aircraft if you didn’t need to check the bag, assuming you had checked in online and had your boarding passes (although for international you may not have been able), although I guess they still should have been able to print your boarding pass until T-30m, it’s just that the system would lock them out from printing a bag tag.

If your bag was not much bigger than a carry-on, you might have also been able to get it through TSA and checked it at the gate - they obviously don’t have the same time constraints.
This works only if you don't have excess liquids or other stuff not permitted in carry on bags, unless you can dispose of it quickly. If time is tight and TSA finds something, there's a good chance you'll miss the flight by failing to be at the gate and ready to board at T-10.

Originally Posted by ftv
Delta has been good to me, on the very few times I missed a bag drop deadline, about letting me sign bag a waiver accepting responsibility if my bag does not make the flight. Each time, FYI, my bag made it just fine
It could take too much time to get a copy of the waiver to be signed if agents don't have it handy at the counter.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Actually I don't quite understand the term repricing, does it mean rebooking the whole ticket with current price? What happened to me was, the ticket has the same confirmation #, seat selection and return trip, just san-lax is dropped.
Yeah, you got really, really lucky tbh. Usually that'd be hundreds/thousands to pay on the day I'd think.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by SecurityTheaterFanClubPresident
Am I the only one wondering how much that Lyft would be?
Originally Posted by bigshooter
I just checked and it came back with $166... wouldn't want to know what it would be during rush hour and with possible surge pricing though.
Very good guess, I spent $164 on Lyft. Perhaps 6am is not really a rush hour from SAN-LAX.
And why did Delta gave me 825 miles for that? It shows as a bonus of "5MPD Big Game ATL", no idea what that is.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Yeah, you got really, really lucky tbh. Usually that'd be hundreds/thousands to pay on the day I'd think.
I agree, I feel extremely thankful to Delta. I was on an OY fare from LAX-PVG (used miles to upgrade from PS -> D1), does that change anything? I know Delta is more relaxed about award tickets.
kthomas likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:05 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Very good guess, I spent $164 on Lyft. Perhaps 6am is not really a rush hour from SAN-LAX.
And why did Delta gave me 825 miles for that? It shows as a bonus of "5MPD Big Game ATL", no idea what that is.
I Googled and apparently there's a promo this weekend that they didn't bother notifying anyone about. But that made me check and I got 5x for my ride yesterday as well ^
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
OP< SOOOO glad you made it. Were Amtrak or o/w on AA not options? All things considered tho you got off relatively unscathed and the Lyft wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. So glad it all worked tho!
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:21 pm
21A

It looks like the next SAN-LAX would have been just slightly under MCT arriving 11:26, but oddly enough SAN-LAS-LAX on 5694/5793, leaving 7am, arriving 10:30, would have worked...
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak
I Googled and apparently there's a promo this weekend that they didn't bother notifying anyone about. But that made me check and I got 5x for my ride yesterday as well ^
Oh yeah I forgot about the big game! But it looks like this should only work for Lyft in Atlanta. https://blog.lyft.com/posts/2019/1/25/get-ready-for-the-rumble-atlanta

I have a feeling that Delta will go in my account and take those miles away from me, very soon.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by soxfanndc
OP< SOOOO glad you made it. Were Amtrak or o/w on AA not options? All things considered tho you got off relatively unscathed and the Lyft wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. So glad it all worked tho!
Thanks! I thought about other airlines, but the cost is more than Lyft and I have to claim my luggage and check them again with Delta. There is also a terminal change, not ideal in LAX. Amtrak could work, but I I have to Lyft to the station, take Amtrak and then take another Lyft to LAX, why not save the trouble and do one Lyft instead. Anyway, I'm amazed by how little Lyft costs, I remember other airlines were all $200 ish.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:36 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Oh yeah I forgot about the big game! But it looks like this should only work for Lyft in Atlanta. https://blog.lyft.com/posts/2019/1/25/get-ready-for-the-rumble-atlanta

I have a feeling that Delta will go in my account and take those miles away from me, very soon.
Hmm, could be, there was another recent promo that was incorrectly given to people and then the extra mile were clawed back
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
Hmm, could be, there was another recent promo that was incorrectly given to people and then the extra mile were clawed back
Indeed, the 5x was clawed back and reposted as the normal 2x.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Sometimes it depends on check-in agent though international adds a wrinkle.

A couple times ex-LGA I've either barely made it or swapped to an earlier flight but had checked bag due to liquids. They have allowed them through but made me sign a form acknowledging it was a late check-in situation and that I would not hold DL liable for bags being late because of the late check-in. Both situations were within 5 minutes of the cutoff (and both times I was physically there but line both SKY/F and regular line were painfully slow).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.