Lost status-Deupgraded overnight

Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
C+ isn’t really an upgrade.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by apodo77
C+ isn’t really an upgrade.
Speak for yourself. As someone that spends a lot of time in regular Y, C+ is a rare blessing to be enjoyed. The extra 3" makes a big difference to comfort and actually being able to work.

That is probably more a testament to how bad regular Y has become than a compliment to C+, but still, as someone that is 6' 4", regular Y is torture.
OHDL1, RaflW, Dalewood and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
Damn. That is some highly efficient algorithm that delta is running to ‘deupgrade’ folks. I mean, I am impressed. Feel bad for the OP, but damn.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If they're going to do this, shouldn't they first downgrade everyone, reorder the upgrade list according to priority based on new (current) status, and then re-run the upgrades based on the re-ordered list? If you just downgrade nonelites, you could have some former DM who got upgraded at the window and then fell to GM/FO while in the meantime there's been a PM on the upgrade list sitting in coach because there wasn't enough upgrade inventory. Also, I suspect that there aren't many people who already have (free elite) upgrades but now have no status whatsoever.
History professor 300 years in the future: "Here is a prime example of a major social issue they had back in the 21st Century, known as "First World Problems."
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
My theory - DL wants to remove any perks for those not maintaining status after Jan31st. Think about it - the person didn't spend and/or fly enough miles so why not replace them with someone who did in the prior year who just qualified. Jan31st happens once a year so not too major an IT feat to wait until 3:01am EST and viola wipe all complimentary amenities of flights and journeys (Excluding red-eyes) going forward.
hi55us and audidudi like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ethernal
Speak for yourself. As someone that spends a lot of time in regular Y, C+ is a rare blessing to be enjoyed. The extra 3" makes a big difference to comfort and actually being able to work.

That is probably more a testament to how bad regular Y has become than a compliment to C+, but still, as someone that is 6' 4", regular Y is torture.
But, as a DM, shouldn't you get C+ right at booking?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Computers are fast.
Drats.

I was going to say that.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
Originally Posted by arunhn
Damn. That is some highly efficient algorithm that delta is running to ‘deupgrade’ folks. I mean, I am impressed. Feel bad for the OP, but damn.
If only Delta was this efficient with crediting airmiles to my SkyMiles account.
Air Houston, TheHorta and DCAhome like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:59 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Interesting. - Dropped from DM to Gold. Still have my C+ seats preserved.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kxc262
Interesting. - Dropped from DM to Gold. Still have my C+ seats preserved.
Golds do get free C+.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by ethernal

Yep! I’m not quite that tall, but it’s enough my knees knock into things even in some 32” economy seats. (It depends on the seat, of course.) A lot of this “it’s not an upgrade!” crowd are clearly the same shorter people who decry the lack of leg room in bulkhead seats, without mentioning that you are guaranteed enough room your knees will never be in danger. 😉
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
History professor 300 years in the future: "Here is a prime example of a major social issue they had back in the 21st Century, known as "First World Problems."
I was thinking it will be described in the Annals of Etymology regarding when the term Deupgraded entered the lexicon. (At some point after people exited the rudimentary Jet Aircraft by "deplaning" instead of "disembarking," the term "downgraded" was replaced by "deupgraded." This can be traced to what can only be described as a late 20th / early 21st century application of Airline Feudal System Seating, whereby the overlords occasionally sprinkled gestures of kindness on the serfs, by providing them with 3 extra inches of pleasure during periods of excessive confinement.)
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:58 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I was thinking it will be described in the Annals of Etymology regarding when the term Deupgraded entered the lexicon. (At some point after people exited the rudimentary Jet Aircraft by "deplaning" instead of "disembarking," the term "downgraded" was replaced by "deupgraded." This can be traced to what can only be described as a late 20th / early 21st century application of Airline Feudal System Seating, whereby the overlords occasionally sprinkled gestures of kindness on the serfs, by providing them with 3 extra inches of pleasure during periods of excessive confinement.)
As written in this historical thread (hi future historians!), downgraded and de-upgraded are two separate phenomena worthy of different nomenclature - until the Millenials of the future get sloppy and use them interchangeably.

Downgraded - You buy D1, change in metal puts you in C+.
De-upgraded (coll. Deupgraded) - Delta gives you C+, then Delta takes away the C+ and puts you in the back
Old Feb 2, 2019, 4:15 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
I am having the exact opposite experience as the OP. I was demoted from AMEX Diamond to FO on 2/1. This morning, 2/2, I am still Diamond on my boarding pass and just got my upgrade (was 1/1 out of 23 people...clearly still a DM on the list). My pre-upgraded ATL-PIT connection also cleared at the DM window and stuck. My pre-upgraded itinerary on Monday also stuck and cleared at the DM window.

This AMEX DM is going down with a fight. Haha
davetravels likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:36 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
. . . . by providing them with 3 extra inches of pleasure during periods of excessive confinement.
Sounds like some nite clubs I've heard about in Europe.

SJC ORD LDR likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.