Wiki Posts
Search

Lost status-Deupgraded overnight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, American Airlines, Hilton, Marriott
Lost status-Deupgraded overnight

I was notified last night of my upgrade status to comfort+ on both the flight from Dayton to Atlanta and Atlanta to JFK. Today upon check-in I was advised of the payment necessary for my checked bag upon my return flight home, and that I lost both upgrades due to losing my silver since last night. No email was sent to me notifying me of the change allowing me to have the opportunity to choose a new seat, or be prepared to pay for the checked luggage. I was very upset that Delta did not have the courtesy to advise of the change. It seems to me that Delta is happy to advise of something positive, however leaves the negative til the last minute. Over promising and under delivering is not a way to run a business.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:04 pm

IMO, seems relatively fair.

In your flight receipt, it tells you how much baggage is. Even as a FO, it states that the baggage fee is $30 for first bag, etc, with the additional terms: "The fees below are based on your original ticket purchase. If you qualify for free or discounted checked baggage, this will be taken into account when you check in."

You checked in and weren't FO anymore. I find the above is sufficient notice.
boss315, HDQDD, Often1 and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Computers are fast. Welcome to 2019.

add Is "deupgrade" a real word?
TerryK, hi55us, jinglish and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Flaflyer; Feb 1, 2019 at 3:15 pm Reason: add
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Yeah, sorry, I usually shy away from blaming the OP, but in this case I think you should have absolutely expected what happened and been grateful had it not. The auto seat change kind of sucks.
hi55us, jinglish and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Like Lucy with the Football.

Sorry, Chuck.
defrosted likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
The baggage fee makes sense since it is based on status when you present your bag.

I am not aware of DL rebooking and reassigning seats of every downgraded medallion member with existing reservations past February 1st in prior years. Typically expiring medallion C+ seats would stick for flights booked and upgraded before Jan 31, but flown after Feb. 1 as long as there was no re-booking or equipment changes done either by the pax or by DL. Perhaps there was a schedule or equipment change with both flights of the itinerary? Maybe DL ran a refresh of status on all booked seats with upgrade fare codes overnight. It would be perfectly in their rights to do so.
MSPeconomist and jdrtravel like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Delta just went up a level in my eyes. I bet some new silver status flyer is super happy they received an upgrade to comfort + today on their flight from Dayton-Jfk.
pfreet and TheHorta like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Reminds me of all the poor saps I find myself in line behind at the grocery store trying to use expired coupons.

I mean I get it, that sucks, but at some point people have to accept responsibility. It isn't like you didn't know it (status/coupons) would stop working at some point.

We have one thread where the poster laments the exact time his current status expires, and another where poster seems oblivious to it. SMH
TheHorta likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:23 pm

I bet this is a very busy couple of weeks for new DL AMEX applications from folks who dropped a notch or two in status.
Just the way DL wants it. Nice, high-margin, passive income.
hi55us and TheHorta like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:33 pm

It’s no good for the OP, but I’m shocked that Delta IT can pull that off. Hell, I can’t get an RUC properly applied.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Troppy
It’s no good for the OP, but I’m shocked that Delta IT can pull that off. Hell, I can’t get an RUC properly applied.
Not very hard.

for {PNRs traveling > 1/31/19){
for (Fare Class in (RU, OU)) { If (Status != ELITE) { Fare Class = Original Booking class; Seat = Available seat in correct cabin; }}
}

or instead of running on all their flights at once; could revalidate at check in.

If (CheckIn) {
if (FareClass in (RU, OU) && Status != elite) {
downgrade;
}
}
hi55us likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Not very hard.

for {PNRs traveling > 1/31/19){
for (Fare Class in (RU, OU)) { If (Status != ELITE) { Fare Class = Original Booking class; Seat = Available seat in correct cabin; }}
}

or instead of running on all their flights at once; could revalidate at check in.

If (CheckIn) {
if (FareClass in (RU, OU) && Status != elite) {
downgrade;
}
}
If they're going to do this, shouldn't they first downgrade everyone, reorder the upgrade list according to priority based on new (current) status, and then re-run the upgrades based on the re-ordered list? If you just downgrade nonelites, you could have some former DM who got upgraded at the window and then fell to GM/FO while in the meantime there's been a PM on the upgrade list sitting in coach because there wasn't enough upgrade inventory. Also, I suspect that there aren't many people who already have (free elite) upgrades but now have no status whatsoever.
sky_priority likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If they're going to do this, shouldn't they first downgrade everyone, reorder the upgrade list according to priority based on new (current) status, and then re-run the upgrades based on the re-ordered list? If you just downgrade nonelites, you could have some former DM who got upgraded at the window and then fell to GM/FO while in the meantime there's been a PM on the upgrade list sitting in coach because there wasn't enough upgrade inventory. Also, I suspect that there aren't many people who already have (free elite) upgrades but now have no status whatsoever.
I was hoping that post was in jest.
Nothing is easy....
RooseveltL likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
you should have checked in earlier as in late yesterday.
hi55us likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:45 pm

I would think if DL is going to do this, they are not going to do it at check-in. Someone who has already booked for a vacation in June would see their C+ seat remain the same for 4 months in the app, and then get downgraded at check-in when all that remains are middle seats? Maybe a GM and child book complementary main -> C+ and wife books own paid C+ seat in same row and they get split at check-in since they are on different PNR's? Sounds like a rolling customer service nightmare.

More likely they just ran a sweep of downgrades out of C+ last night and then let their own existing algorithm elevate the eligible remaining medallions on board into those vacated C+ seats.
audidudi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.