Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Government Shutdown = Thin the Herd from revenue loss?

Old Feb 1, 19, 9:47 am
Original Poster

I saw that Delta said the shutdown cost them approx $28 Million in revenue. Given the number of people sidelined, I have to think it will affect the number of each Medallion Tier. Delta always wants to thin the herd, but Iím pretty sure they werenít counting on people just not flying!
Old Feb 1, 19, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
$28 million means less than six hours - hours - of Delta's gross revenue. It's going to mean nothing for elite qualification but for the very, very few government travelers who were on the edge.
Old Feb 1, 19, 10:07 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Agreed with 3Cforme. This is an absolutely trivial in the grand scheme of things. The only way this impacts anything at all would be if shutdowns continue later this year, and even then I imagine it will only really have a noticeable impact at a place like DCA.
Old Feb 1, 19, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
$28 million means less than six hours - hours - of Delta's gross revenue. It's going to mean nothing for elite qualification but for the very, very few government travelers who were on the edge.
Good point. Given the amount of revenue attributed to non flying operations, I think the number is more significant than that, but probably not enough to noticeably matter.
Old Feb 1, 19, 11:40 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
The impact from the weather we've had the past few days is probably worse and besides very little govt travel takes place the last two weeks of the year.

BTW, its above zero for the first time in days in the DTW area.

Bob H
Old Feb 1, 19, 11:52 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
If this had been the last 4 weeks of December, it would surely have some impact for those just sky of meeting their numbers.

Being January, folks still have the rest of the year to make up any shortfalls.
Old Feb 1, 19, 12:43 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
Does that $28 million figure include losses from the delayed certification of the A220?
Old Feb 1, 19, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL PM 1 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT PM AMB, Hilton Diamond
I have not flown at all this year due to the shutdown and got word Wednesday that I won't be working until a full agreement reached. They don't want to send us out just to return on the 15th.

One month of no paychecks is starting to hurt ( I am a contractor and don't get back pay).
Old Feb 1, 19, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by estedman View Post
I have not flown at all this year due to the shutdown and got word Wednesday that I won't be working until a full agreement reached. They don't want to send us out just to return on the 15th.

One month of no paychecks is starting to hurt ( I am a contractor and don't get back pay).

Your situation is exactly what I was thinking about. There are a lot of non-governmental contractors that are frequent flyers. Being grounded for 10%ish of a calendar year has to affect medallion qualification, how much? I donít know.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: