Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Overcrowded SkyClubs...A Thing Of The Past?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overcrowded SkyClubs...A Thing Of The Past?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by dcadwell
I'd wager that a large majority of people with the Reserve card also utilize it for the MQD waiver, which you wouldn't get with the standard Amex Platinum.

Just a theory, though.
Possibly, although I imagine that the vast majority of people are MQM-constrained and not MQD-constrained (especially those who pay for a Reserve card), so I would assume that most people would actually use it for the MQM boosts and less the MQD waiver (although, of course, MQM boosts mean that people are more likely to become MQD constrained.. but that's somewhat circular since the waiver hits about the same time as the MQMs).
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ethernal
I am sure whatever gate pass the volunteers got would work for the scanners (but I could be wrong).
Oh, guess I assumed that the lounge attendants would actually look at what they were scanning to see if it was an actual airline BP. Sounds like they didn't really enforce the same-day flight requirement rule.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I know people who decided not to renew their SC membership as a result of the same day DL or partner flight requirement. They'll largely be gone from the lounge (unless they acquire credit cards for access when flying DL or pay for single entry passes) but so will their annual membership fees.
While folks using an SC while flying a different airline will definitely be gone, a lot of the rest of us just switched to an Amex Platinum card. Same exact access ability I’d get by spending a choice benefit, plus a host of other goodies, including Priority Pass and bucketloads of free money between the $200 Uber credit, $200 fee credit, $100 Saks credit, international airline program, free hotel status, and more.

Maybe Delta’s reimbursements from Amex for my visits will be more valuable to them than the extra 25k SkyMiles they had to give me as a choice benefit and the revenue they’re missing out in from having me not select a DL cobranded card, but it seems unlikely to me.

If they’d preserved same day access when flying other airlines - a benefit I used super infrequently - I probably wouldn’t have done any of this and would still be a Delta Amex and SkyClub member. I’m not mad - I’m better off now than before thanks to the kick in the pants to change my card strategy. But I’m definitely a little befuddled.

Given that they spent the time building the ability to check into the SkyClub without swiping your card if it’s in your profile this year, I imagine I’m not the only one that has gone this direction...
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Based on my sample size of one datapoint. Iexpedt way less crowded Clubs this year. The DCA club was unusually quiet this morning. It may have been due to the snow but I’m willing to generalize from this one data point.
TravelLawyer and Viperfreak2 like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
When I was in the MCO SC a few weeks ago on a Monday afternoon, it was basically standing room only and I ended up leaving. There is some construction/renovations going on in the back of the club which may have been some of the reason for it but other than this experience, I haven’t seen any other overly crowded clubs this year yet.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL DM 3MM
DTW central A gate is packed - more seating since the adding of seats but still a lot of people. Love the hot dog stand in DTW. SFO this morning was packed too. Business as usual.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
When I was in the MCO SC a few weeks ago on a Monday afternoon, it was basically standing room only and I ended up leaving. There is some construction/renovations going on in the back of the club which may have been some of the reason for it but other than this experience, I haven’t seen any other overly crowded clubs this year yet.
I hate how crowded the MCO lounge gets all the time. And all the Disney families running around in there. That's because of a stupid rule that I can't bring 1 single person in but they can bring their 5 kids in for free.
flamingocrazyfl likes this.

Last edited by BusTrav8yrs; Feb 1, 2019 at 1:37 pm
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
Oh, guess I assumed that the lounge attendants would actually look at what they were scanning to see if it was an actual airline BP. Sounds like they didn't really enforce the same-day flight requirement rule.
Well I think it's indirectly implied if you were past security you had a same day flight; short of being a contractor or airport employee. But in the grand scheme of things it's probably relatively few people taking advantage of that, so in the grand scheme not worth the hassle/delay in check-in to actually verify you have a same-day flight even if it wasn't on Delta. And after all if someone really wanted in, surely they could have just bought a fully refundable ticket to have a same day BP, then refund the ticket.....in fact I think there's a youtube video out there of some guy bragging about doing exactly this..
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
I hate how crowded the MCO lounge gets all the time. And all the Disney families running around in there. That's because of a stupid rule that I can't bring 1 single person in but they can bring their 5 kids in for free.
When I was here this particular day, I didn’t see too many large families, although I have before multiple times in the past. Typically late afternoon is the worst time to fly out of MCO as VS has several 747s departing around the same time so the lounge can get quite crowded. It is typically not too bad however in the morning time.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: LH, DL
Originally Posted by rileydogmi
SFO this morning was packed too. Business as usual.
SFO thinned our over the afternoon and seems quite empty now.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
If I could vote on "top 10 enhancements I want Delta to make", charging a guest fee for every guest who enters the club would be on my list. Every soul other than your own that enters the club on your entitlement up to a maximum of four costs $29. Each club member with an Executive membership or the guest option can effectively have two of those fees waived per visit. I'd be fine with any infant-in-arms, conforming to the usual ticketing rules for that, being admitted for free.

I've appreciated them tightening up the guest policies over the years, and I feel like the under-21 exemption is a leftover benefit from a prior admission philosophy that's outlived its appropriateness.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by GMTmin8

SFO thinned our over the afternoon and seems quite empty now.
Isn't that pretty typical for a Friday afternoon anyways?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Agreed, it's complete BS. Two guests should mean just that. If you can afford a litter of kids then you can afford to pay for their club access.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BenA
If I could vote on "top 10 enhancements I want Delta to make", charging a guest fee for every guest who enters the club would be on my list. Every soul other than your own that enters the club on your entitlement up to a maximum of four costs $29. Each club member with an Executive membership or the guest option can effectively have two of those fees waived per visit. I'd be fine with any infant-in-arms, conforming to the usual ticketing rules for that, being admitted for free.

I've appreciated them tightening up the guest policies over the years, and I feel like the under-21 exemption is a leftover benefit from a prior admission philosophy that's outlived its appropriateness.
I would get rid of club access for Skyteam elite for international flights on coach tickets. If you're in coach, why do you need club access? Club access should be a premium experience. It makes sense to from a nice club to a nice premium. Going from the club to a coach is just kind of dumb. That would do a lot to thin the herd in places like ATL and JFK.

Last edited by readywhenyouare; Feb 1, 2019 at 8:10 pm
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My 2019 experience is that MSP F/G is a zoo, as usual, but the AmEx Plat/Centurion Escape lounge is pleasant and tranquil as usual. At HND, the DL contract lounge was very empty, although it's a bit depressing except for the window view from my seat onto the top of the aircraft I'm about to board. [Some idiot there was watching a video at full volume without headphones but a complaint to the reception desk resulted in a very tactful offer for the offender to move into a small conference room.]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.