Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Interrupted travel - Delta comps hotel - do I earn hotel points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interrupted travel - Delta comps hotel - do I earn hotel points?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by TerryK
Days Inn is part of Choice Privileges which is pretty useless anyway.
I don't believe Days Inn was ever part of Choice. They are in the Wyndham umbrella now.

The Choice rewards program is pretty decent. The hotels, generally not so great.
Brendan likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by spamkiller
I stayed at the Sheraton, Tokyo Bay, on a VDB. Got no points, no benefits, just a room that smelled like smoke.

I would have thought I would get benefits, not points. I was told that was a Sheraton thing.
In the past, Marriott (but not SPG IIRC) would have given you elite benefits on site, but not any more according to the Starriott (soon to be Bonvoy) T&Cs.

Originally Posted by GlobeTrttr83
Airlines are paying contract rates to certain hotels that do not include loyalty points. So the $120 you pay for the Hampton is probably going to cost Delta $70-80 but the cost of points is not built into that rate.

My only Delta comped hotel was in MSP due to a mechanical delay. Days Inn by the mall. Bed was so worn out that it was like sleeping in a crater.
You were unlucky with the MSP hotel. DL sometimes sends passengers to the nice newish Hyatt Regency which is very close to the airport and sometimes to Marriott family properties very close to MOA (although I'm not aware of the JW being used). [I also haven't heard of DL sending anyone to the Radisson BLU at MOA or the new hotel that's right in the terminal, although I do know that DL sometimes sends people to the Westin in the terminal at DTW.]
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
No points, but I believe you get the night credit towards lifetime total. Just add your hotel program number at check in.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SYRRDU
No points, but I believe you get the night credit towards lifetime total. Just add your hotel program number at check in.
Generally not but it depends on the program's T&Cs. YMMV as mistakes can be made.
Brendan likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Main problem - you are not paying fo the room. Usually, YOU have to be one paying to get credit.

Then of course all the small print.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Main problem - you are not paying fo the room. Usually, YOU have to be one paying to get credit.

Then of course all the small print.
I would guess that the vast majority of elite hotel guests do not pay for their own rooms, their employers do. Also, when you are staying at a hotel on a big group negotiated rate like for a conference or a wedding, sometimes you don't get points either, even if you are paying for the room yourself.

When I think about it, I think one tends to get credit in situations where one has a choice about where to stay, thus the whole point of loyalty program. If you are staying at a hotel on a big group rate for a conference, or an airline just got you the room, you are not there by choice and are probably staying on one of the lowest rates the hotel offers.

Alternately, when you are traveling for business, even on your employers dime, you can usually choose from many properties, even from many with negotiated corporate discount rates, and you still get points.
Brendan likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Probably not: no points, no elite night credit, and no status benefits are the rules with most chains, but YMMV and the individual property or front desk agent would be free to offer lounge access, upgrades, etc. as above and beyond benefits.

If you get a voucher for a decent hotel you're doing very well. If you get any comped hotel at all if the cause is weather or ATC, you're doing extremely well.
This is certainly the way I view the situation. If I am put up at a decent hotel for free and I am not sleeping in an airport, I really don't care about points or any other benefits because I already have come out so far ahead in the situation. DL has put me up in hotels twice and both were good and the level of hotel I usually prefer on my own dime (Marriott Courtyard or similar although neither was a Courtyard). DL does give better hotels and priority on hotels to medallions/F pax. I am a little jealous some have gotten the Hyatt Regency
Brendan likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I would guess that the vast majority of elite hotel guests do not pay for their own rooms.....
Majority of elite hotel guests do pay for their own rooms. They just submit expense reports for reimbursement later but that's not visible, nor is of concern, to hotels.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: DL 2 MM
Last year wife and I had to overnight @ ATL due to missing a flight (DL's fault).

So I did the 'scan boarding pass' thing at one of those kiosks that spit out the hotel voucher. It gave me something like one of the Choice hotels.

So for fun my wife scanned her BP. Got a voucher for ATL Hilton.

She has no status w/ any airline or hotel. I'm diamond at both DL and Hilton. Weird

Anyway, no stay credit, etc.

p.s. Yes, we stayed at the Hilton
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:38 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Gig103
During an overnight delay though ATL I was given a room at a $30/night Days Inn. Do they even offer a loyalty program?

​​​​​​Hindsight is that I was on work travel and I didn't think to just get our TA to put me in a proper hotel for the night I've come a long way.
Days Inn is part of Wyndham, which has a loyalty program.

OP, as others have said, you generally do not get points for a stay on an airline voucher.

The night before a mileage run MDT-SFO and back for @Mr. Kipper, UA had a substantial delay on the first leg of his departure due to crew rest requirements. The flight delay meant missing his departure connection, which meant he missed his return flights. They rebooked him, but it necessitated a stay in SFO overnight. UA customer service indicated that they couldn't authorize a hotel voucher, but we could submit a hotel receipt and they would consider reimbursing us. We booked his hotel, paid for it, he earned points, and after submitting it to UA, they mailed a check for the cost.
Brendan likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by TommyD2
Last year wife and I had to overnight @ ATL due to missing a flight (DL's fault).

So I did the 'scan boarding pass' thing at one of those kiosks that spit out the hotel voucher. It gave me something like one of the Choice hotels.

So for fun my wife scanned her BP. Got a voucher for ATL Hilton.

She has no status w/ any airline or hotel. I'm diamond at both DL and Hilton. Weird

Anyway, no stay credit, etc.

p.s. Yes, we stayed at the Hilton
Could be random, but I'm sure a Delta algorithm figured you were already a forced Delta captive that wouldn't change regardless of what hotel you stayed in, whereas your wife was determined to potentially be a less reliable customer for whom they can extract more revenue from (or improve brand impression).

I say that with the fact that my significant other seems to get treated with a red carpet whenever I am flying with her. A FA literally leaned over me to tell her "thanks for all your business!" when she had no status (while I'm sitting there as a DM and never get recognized*).

* Only time I have ever been recognized as a DM and thanked for my business personally was flying on a full F fare ($1200 one way) from a leisure destination. Apparently money talks.. guess that was Delta's way to tell me to spend $1200 on 850 mile flights more often.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Originally Posted by ethernal

I say that with the fact that my significant other seems to get treated with a red carpet whenever I am flying with her. A FA literally leaned over me to tell her "thanks for all your business!" when she had no status (while I'm sitting there as a DM and never get recognized*).
OT, but that seems weird (not being thanked).

Seem to get thanked (even when in coach) at least a few times a year. In fact our last trip we were both in FC and got a hand-written thank you (on one of those DL Thank You cards) from the FA, addressed to both of us, for me being diamond, for our loyalty, etc., and included info re: our connecting gate.

Did you do something to make DL mad at you?

Last edited by TommyD2; Feb 1, 2019 at 2:09 pm Reason: paragraphs
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
My last DL paid room was at the Westin at DTW — Westin status got me a better room and I got stay credit for 1 night but no points for spend for the hotel room. I did get points for the few dollars over the meal voucher amount that I charged to my cc.
Before that Hilton LAX - again got credit for a night but no points. Also HH status got me on the HH floor and lounge access.
Many years ago, at an ATL Hampton, I did get HH points for the DL paid room. I think DL paid something like $60.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by TommyD2
OT, but that seems weird (not being thanked).

Seem to get thanked (even when in coach) at least a few times a year. In fact our last trip we were both in FC and got a hand-written thank you (on one of those DL Thank You cards) from the FA, addressed to both of us, for me being diamond, for our loyalty, etc., and included info re: our connecting gate.

Did you do something to make DL mad at you?
You mentioned the magic words - "Connecting Flight(s)". Delta is always going to view people with connections as more "valuable" - or at least more influencable - (due to competition). I'm a hub captive, so Delta has little incentive to impress. I'm insanely profitable to Delta from a margin perspective, but Delta knows that as long as I live in Atlanta, I won't realistically be able to change to another carrier.

It doesn't help the fact that most of the flights I am on I am back in regular coach (along with several other Diamonds that didn't make the C+ cut) - you'll always get less personalized service when you're in row 36.

Other possibility is that it's because I usually (but not always) have headphones in - probably a sign that I don't want to be bothered.

I too have received a "thank you" card one time before as well, but it was given to all passengers.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
recently had disrupted travel in ATL and got hotel voucher for the Best Western. Idk what points program they even use but the room coulnt have been more than 70/night rackrate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.