Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Bye Bye Plat, Bye Bye Happiness, Hello Loneliness :)

Bye Bye Plat, Bye Bye Happiness, Hello Loneliness :)

Old Jan 31, 19, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO 1.4MM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
Talking Bye Bye Plat, Bye Bye Happiness, Hello Loneliness :)

Spoiler alert - long and sentimental posting.

What a ride it has been! I joined Skymiles way back in the early 80s (my number starts with 04000). I flew a bit here and there, but didn't really log a lot of travel until over 20 years later.

Around 2003 I began a period of work travel. In 2004 I bumped over the SM threshold, and finally on 11/30/2005 I cleared the 75K MQM threshold and became a PM. That was the highest published status at the time, and ironically I earned it between LAX and SBA on an American Eagle flight codeshared with Delta. (I know this because I still have those old fashioned paper statements from back then.)

Back in the day, I flew Continental, Northwest, Alaska, Eagle codeshares, and occasionally even Delta - and all were credited to SkyMiles. I was even in on the legendary double MQMs out of BNA promotion, and the more legendary Kevin Pinto had to fix it when it didn't post correctly.

In 2010 I eked out Charter DM, and managed to scrape up enough flights and credit card MQMs to stay there for four years. That was good, but I always thought that the treatment of PMs prior to the DM level was much better than what the new DMs got. The old PM line was flawless, while the new DM line lead me down the garden path more than once.

Then the travel fell off and I had to do a first-ever weekend mileage run just to maintain Platinum. Nothing makes your weekend like HSV-ATL-SFO-ATL-HSV-ATL-SAN-ATL-HSV on back to back redeyes. That mileage run went off without a hitch, yet the next weekend I needed HSV-ATL-CLT-ATL-HSV for the final few MQMs and that one went all to heck. IROPS on 3 of 4 flights.

Along the way I cleared the MM mark, so I have complimentary annual FO until Delta decides otherwise. Ironically even though my travel fell off in the past few years, I actually qualified for FO both on MQMs and MQDs.

But it was all good, and this forum (is there anybody from the 2004 era still posting here?) has been a great resource for information and to make new friends. (Remember the FT events at Delta? Those were amazing.)

I'll miss many of the SkyPriority bennies, maybe most the priority bag tags. Those really work!

Delta has been very good to me, and many Delta folks have been exceptionally kind. I dearly miss our friend Mr. Pinto, though he lived a good and full life and had so many friends all over the world when he passed. (If you don't know, Kevin's on the left.)

Tonight at midnight (EST?) I will say Bye Bye to 13+ years of PM or better, and free fall down to FO.

Cue Tom Petty:

David
monitor, hnewman, RobOnLI and 7 others like this.

Last edited by DiverDave; Feb 1, 19 at 10:11 am Reason: edited to add a couple of photos....
Old Jan 31, 19, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
I am sorry for your loss, but lifetime FO ain't all bad.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jan 31, 19, 8:28 pm

I’m thinking another MR is in your future.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jan 31, 19, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I second the miss for the Old PM. It gave me 95% upgrades to F including every International flight. Of course Delta lost some of my business each year when I went over 100K there was nothing left to chase so I just moved over to UA etal. to gain status per year in those programs.

The thing I missed the most was the old Medallion program with the 25k mileage redemptions for domestic F I had already set aside 6 MM to take me into retirement for the rest of my life flying domestic first
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jan 31, 19, 9:30 pm

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Dave I take the fall tonight to FO from MM after 15 years of plat then diamond since its inception due to moving to Dallas. *raising a glass* cheers
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jan 31, 19, 9:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I plan to consume something liquid in your (plural, to the many here who are losing status this year) honor at midnight ATL time.

Are you going to stay up and log into your account to almost watch it happen in real time--and maybe more importantly, to see the status show at the last possible moment?
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jan 31, 19, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold; Ex AA EXP
Originally Posted by DiverDave View Post
Spoiler alert - long and sentimental posting.

What a ride it has been! I joined Skymiles way back in the early 80s (my number starts with 04000). I flew a bit here and there, but didn't really log a lot of travel until over 20 years later.

Around 2003 I began a period of work travel. In 2004 I bumped over the SM threshold, and finally on 11/30/2005 I cleared the 75K MQM threshold and became a PM. That was the highest published status at the time, and ironically I earned it between LAX and SBA on an American Eagle flight codeshared with Delta. (I know this because I still have those old fashioned paper statements from back then.)

Back in the day, I flew Continental, Northwest, Alaska, Eagle codeshares, and occasionally even Delta - and all were credited to SkyMiles. I was even in on the legendary double MQMs out of BNA promotion, and the more legendary Kevin Pinto had to fix it when it didn't post correctly.

In 2010 I eked out Charter DM, and managed to scrape up enough flights and credit card MQMs to stay there for four years. That was good, but I always thought that the treatment of PMs prior to the DM level was much better than what the new DMs got. The old PM line was flawless, while the new DM line lead me down the garden path more than once.

Then the travel fell off and I had to do a first-ever weekend mileage run just to maintain Platinum. Nothing makes your weekend like HSV-ATL-SFO-ATL-HSV-ATL-SAN-ATL-HSV on back to back redeyes. That mileage run went off without a hitch, yet the next weekend I needed HSV-ATL-CLT-ATL-HSV for the final few MQMs and that one went all to heck. IROPS on 3 of 4 flights.

Along the way I cleared the MM mark, so I have complimentary annual FO until Delta decides otherwise. Ironically even though my travel fell off in the past few years, I actually qualified for FO both on MQMs and MQDs.

But it was all good, and this forum (is there anybody from the 2004 era still posting here?) has been a great resource for information and to make new friends. (Remember the FT events at Delta? Those were amazing.)

I'll miss many of the SkyPriority bennies, maybe most the priority bag tags. Those really work!

Delta has been very good to me, and many Delta folks have been exceptionally kind. I dearly miss our friend Mr. Pinto, though he lived a good and full life and had so many friends all over the world when he passed.

Tonight at midnight (EST?) I will say Bye Bye to 13+ years of PM or better, and free fall down to FO.

Cue Tom Petty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lWJXDG2i0A

David
I'm sorry that you're dropping from PM to FO. Sounds like you had a great run!
DiverDave likes this.
Old Feb 1, 19, 12:57 am

A few of us still kicking around from the Cholula Era!
DM ==>PM here. Prob earn it back this year, but I'm not sure it's worth it anymore. F prices have come down and my ability and willingness to pay for it has gone up since I started this game. As a result I'm just not sure the upgrades are worth the extra effort. I'd rather save the time and fly direct. I still think Delta is still the best domestic airline though.
DiverDave, BenA and Seabilly like this.
Old Feb 1, 19, 8:10 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold; Ex AA EXP
Originally Posted by El Boocho View Post
A few of us still kicking around from the Cholula Era!
DM ==>PM here. Prob earn it back this year, but I'm not sure it's worth it anymore. F prices have come down and my ability and willingness to pay for it has gone up since I started this game. As a result I'm just not sure the upgrades are worth the extra effort. I'd rather save the time and fly direct. I still think Delta is still the best domestic airline though.
I hear that. Even when the original F price doesn't work with FCM offers constantly changing, in many cases you can make it work as well (hence the lower complimentary upgrades).
DiverDave likes this.
Old Feb 1, 19, 8:38 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); AS MVP Gold; DL Plat
Well written..I feel your pain since retiring!!!!
DiverDave likes this.
Old Feb 1, 19, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO 1.4MM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
Thanks to all for their kind thoughts! Great to see that long time posters like El Boocho, Lomapaseo, and Lehava are still active!

Was it Jeff Robertson that told a story at one the events how he realized one day he was on a flight with "THE" Lehava? Those were the days.....!

16 days until my next flight on the widget. I am now a proud member of #teamboardlast, but for different reasons.
Cholula likes this.

Last edited by DiverDave; Feb 1, 19 at 10:14 am
Old Feb 1, 19, 10:20 am

Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo View Post
I second the miss for the Old PM. It gave me 95% upgrades to F
I think this was more of a function of lots of extra inventory pre-merger (for both airlines) as well as them not yet trying aggressively sell F (rather than this being a function of the elite program itself, which, in terms of upgrades, still works basically the same way it used to).
Old Feb 1, 19, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
I think this was more of a function of lots of extra inventory pre-merger (for both airlines) as well as them not yet trying aggressively sell F (rather than this being a function of the elite program itself, which, in terms of upgrades, still works basically the same way it used to).
Back pre-2004ish(?) you needed currency (upgrade certificates) to make the move, but PMs received unlimited 500 certs (were 800 mi at one point I think). So back then a GM or FO had to use something of value and it changed the dynamics. Upgrade rates were very high!
DiverDave likes this.
Old Feb 1, 19, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by DiverDave View Post
Thanks to all for their kind thoughts! Great to see that long time posters like El Boocho, Lomapaseo, and Lehava are still active!
I'm not dead yet! Seriously though, the community has changed a lot. I post much less than I used to. Mostly because i enjoy spending time with my minions. I do read the Delta and SPG/Marriott boards. I also monitor the premium mileage run deals. I've never done a run, but I do use the info there to book international J travel for my family at decent prices. Still some great folks on FT. Seems like the number of undesirables is significantly higher now though.
DiverDave, pgh234 and davedeboston like this.
Old Feb 1, 19, 1:13 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Welcome home, Dave!

Yer pal,
a fellow HSV schlep.
DiverDave likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: