Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Bye Bye Plat, Bye Bye Happiness, Hello Loneliness :)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bye Bye Plat, Bye Bye Happiness, Hello Loneliness :)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
At 7K plus posts on Flyertalk, thanks for all of your contributions! Hope you will still stay with the forum.
puck021 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Kevin Pinto was a Delta employee who participated on FlyerTalk. He was incredibly helpful and acted as a backchannel to be able to resolve gnarly issues that would be difficult to tackle via regular customer service, particularly related to SkyMiles benefits or crediting.

Unfortunately, after a battle with cancer, Kevin passed away in 2016. He continues to be missed by many of us in the community who remember his contributions! RIP Kevin Pinto
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
So. Better not drop my bag when you lug it abord for me. Just sayin
TheHorta and defrosted like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:03 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by El Boocho
A few of us still kicking around from the Cholula Era!

Those were the days!
DiverDave likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:13 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Times and things have changed; and we indeed move on...

...but the fond memories stay and last a lifetime.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
What a ride Dave! It looks like I may be free falling to FO myself after this year. I lurk more that I post, but I would never have made it to PM without the the vast knowledge and advise of the flyer talk community. Cheers!
DiverDave likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA Gold MM, Hilton LTD, Marriott LTP, Hertz PC
I feel your angst as well. After a few tears as plat, then DM since it was created, this will be my last year as DM. 2.3 million miles later.

I’m lucky that between rollover and the Amex waiver I should be PM for another 4 years assuming the waiver stays in affect.

You are correct that the old PM provided better service in many ways that today’s DM

DiverDave likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Good luck Dave. I did enjoy meeting you that evening when you drove over to Buellton from Lompoc for dinner with our gang. Our 04 SkyMiles numbers were not a topic of conversation then but I am not at all surprised to see that you have one of those as well.

Sorry to hear about your loss of status but we all know that nowadays anything but DM is hardly worth the trouble. Since we can still slide in there with not all that much flying but lots of rollover and Reserve Card MQMs, we will last until a year or two after we retire, whenever that might be. At that stage, going somewhere on an airplane will become recreation and, god willing, we should always have enough to buy the front cabin. Hope the same for you.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: DL DM
I suspect you'll miss the status less than might be expected. Delta has devalued FC to the point that the difference in MC and FC on a typical flight for us between SJU and the states is now in the $150 range. And due to this, there are never any FC seats open for UG at either the window or at the gate. So we just buy up using points and miles and take off the table waiting out the UG. I've been DM for the last two years and honestly now don't really care if I maintain the status or not given the new pricing model DL is using.
hockeystl and DiverDave like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: Delta, United
Welcome to the back of the bus, where the water is warm, and we have Biscoff cookies.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Ah, more long-time posters - good to hear from all of you!

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Welcome to the back of the bus, where the water is warm, and we have Biscoff cookies.
The benefits of #teamboardlast!

Originally Posted by tvnwz
So. Better not drop my bag when you lug it abord for me. Just sayin
You may be assured I have been trained by the best in the business!

Originally Posted by Cholula
Those were the days!
Cholula, you're still here! It was a sad day when your dedicated thread was closed....

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Times and things have changed; and we indeed move on...

...but the fond memories stay and last a lifetime.
And our favourite retired mod. ^

Originally Posted by Marylou
What a ride Dave! It looks like I may be free falling to FO myself after this year. I lurk more that I post, but I would never have made it to PM without the the vast knowledge and advise of the flyer talk community. Cheers!
And I am 12 days away from my first flight as an FO in over 13 years. Maybe I will still be thanked for being MM, though.

Originally Posted by den1k
I feel your angst as well. After a few tears as plat, then DM since it was created, this will be my last year as DM. 2.3 million miles later.

I’m lucky that between rollover and the Amex waiver I should be PM for another 4 years assuming the waiver stays in affect.
Yes, without the rollover, I would have dropped several years back. And nobody has matched that, except Hilton now has rollover nights but they only roll over for one year.

Originally Posted by monitor
Good luck Dave. I did enjoy meeting you that evening when you drove over to Buellton from Lompoc for dinner with our gang. Our 04 SkyMiles numbers were not a topic of conversation then but I am not at all surprised to see that you have one of those as well.

Sorry to hear about your loss of status but we all know that nowadays anything but DM is hardly worth the trouble. Since we can still slide in there with not all that much flying but lots of rollover and Reserve Card MQMs, we will last until a year or two after we retire, whenever that might be. At that stage, going somewhere on an airplane will become recreation and, god willing, we should always have enough to buy the front cabin. Hope the same for you.
Always good to hear from you. I will be in Lompoc for much of the next few months, so do let me know if your wine tasting team heads that way.

As with you, the DiverDave travel policy permits first class travel when the cost is not too outrageous. It is far more generous than the travel policy of my employer. Plans are that some time in July or August my employer will discontinue my paychecks and start issuing my pension checks. All good things come to an end, but sometimes they are replaced with something better - here's hoping!
fdex727 and TheHorta like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:52 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by DiverDave
And our favourite retired mod. ^
Thank you, DiverDave.

We eventually must pass the baton on to the “yungins” — just like the Dovster did centuries ago...
DiverDave likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:38 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I dropped to PLT from DM this week. I fly OneWorld
now.

also, thanks for the Tom Petty. We saw his last show at the Hollywood Bowl the week before he died. Such a great show.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by 355F1
..thanks for the Tom Petty. We saw his last show at the Hollywood Bowl the week before he died. Such a great show.
I did not believe this until I googled it. So sad!
DiverDave likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.