Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Two gripes: pouring soda & no free check of carry-on eligible bags at front counter

Two gripes: pouring soda & no free check of carry-on eligible bags at front counter

Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: A few
Barring shortages of certain product, I'd suspect it's less work for the FAs to give a full can as it would cut down on trips for refill requests
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by Loadmaster
Barring shortages of certain product, I'd suspect it's less work for the FAs to give a full can as it would cut down on trips for refill requests
But more work cleaning up since they will have to collect both bulky cans and cups for the final trash service instead of just cups.
Not giving cans allows them to dispose of the empty cans sooner, beginning when the drink cart has completed its rounds.

My guess is that the system engineering probably works in favor of giving cans (even without request) for longer flights that don't normally have a second beverage service, but not for flights with two beverage services or 90 minutes or less.

The FA's at AirTran always asked if we wanted the can before they either located the already opened can, or just grabbed a new one.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
But more work cleaning up since they will have to collect both bulky cans and cups for the final trash service instead of just cups.
Not giving cans allows them to dispose of the empty cans sooner, beginning when the drink cart has completed its rounds.

My guess is that the system engineering probably works in favor of giving cans (even without request) for longer flights that don't normally have a second beverage service, but not for flights with two beverage services or 90 minutes or less.

The FA's at AirTran always asked if we wanted the can before they either located the already opened can, or just grabbed a new one.
Agreed. It's much easier to stack the cups. Collecting cans is not as easy.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by FF524
I always ask for a can of Diet Coke. Ill wipe the top off myself. Sometimes I get the FA sigh. Usually I just get handed the can of Diet Coke.

Why would they sigh? You just saved them plenty of time by not having them pour their least favorite drink that takes the most time to de-fizz itself.
MarkP24 and Loadmaster like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat
they could also have large litre bottles of the common drinks like coke. this is relatively common on foreign carriers. would probably be cheaper for them and speed up pouring
CPMaverick and MarkP24 like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:42 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
The dystopian vision of the future is a hotel-style minibar in each underseat storage area. (They'd make a killing during turbulence rough air )
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by runningformqm
they could also have large litre bottles of the common drinks like coke. this is relatively common on foreign carriers. would probably be cheaper for them and speed up pouring
I always wondered why U.S. airlines have cans and not large bottles for some of the more popular drinks especially on longer flights.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by MarkP24
I always wondered why U.S. airlines have cans and not large bottles for some of the more popular drinks especially on longer flights.
I always figured it has to do with the most efficient use of the carts. I'm glad for the cans too, since I can't remember the last time my request for a can was denied (even on Southwest who don't use carts).
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:00 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Have you actually been refused the can by DL FAs? How many times out of how many requests in the last five years?
yes did you read my post?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
AS uses boxes for their juices so you can't ask for a can of juice on their flights. But, their soda is in cans. I don't remember if they used cans when they served Jones Cola or what.

I don't know if the carts have room or can easily redesigned for 2 L bottles of soda and the product isn't as good as what's in a can anyway.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Zorak
The dystopian vision of the future is a hotel-style minibar in each underseat storage area. (They'd make a killing during turbulence rough air )
They would weigh too much but I could envision being automatically charged in either money or miles.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Gig103
I always figured it has to do with the most efficient use of the carts. I'm glad for the cans too, since I can't remember the last time my request for a can was denied (even on Southwest who don't use carts).
That makes sense, but I would assume it's more cost efficient for them to use bottles. Maybe I shouldn't give them any ideas.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin

Agreed. It's much easier to stack the cups. Collecting cans is not as easy.
Good point on the cleanup / stacking, hadn't thought about that.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
My gripe is about requesting NO ice and still getting a cup/glass with ice.

Also, I have had a hard time getting the can of my drink of choice: sparkling water. FAs guard those like crazy for unknown reasons.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Maybe it's because I flew United and not Delta but I got a full can of sparkling water on each flight, one without even asking and one by asking, with a smile.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.