Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Two gripes: pouring soda & no free check of carry-on eligible bags at front counter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two gripes: pouring soda & no free check of carry-on eligible bags at front counter

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I believe the O'Jays has your answer.

https://youtu.be/GXE_n2q08Yw
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL DM
I had an FA ask me if I wanted my soda in the can. I replied, no I will drink it at my seat.
telloh, daloosh, flatdawgs and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by andrewk829
For passengers:
(a) No need to invest in trial-sized toothpaste, shave cream, and other liquid-ish toiletries
(b) Faster security screening for self and others
(c) Don't need to be in a big hurry to board (and play the game of lining up early) in order to secure overhead bin space
(d) It's just generally more pleasant to navigate airports without a bag in tow.
These are the reasons why. If it makes the passengers' lives easier, more people are willing to pay, even if you aren't. If people are willing to pay, the airline is willing to charge.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by defrosted
This
There have been so many frills removed from air travel, let me have my cup and ice. I dread the ambiance of the flight attendants walking down the aisle chucking cans of soda at us like at a ball game. If I want that kind of service I will fly Southwest (they basically do that with the snacks).

I do agree about the cans being dirty, plus pouring soda into a cup, especially with ice, reduces the carbonation, which I much prefer than drinking from the can or bottle.

Don't get me wrong I am not above drinking from the can, but given the choice I prefer not.
At least Southwest will do a drink service on the same route that Delta says is too short for a drink service...
DiverDave, ryw and DCP2016 like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL PM; MR Titanium & LTT; Hilton Diamond; National Exec Elite
As far as getting a can vs. a cup with ice, I like my drinks (where applicable) to be very cold. If given just a can, I for one would probably also ask for a cup with ice. Have you ever tried asking to have the whole can? I have been given the whole can upon request, even in my non-status days. I was never told ‘no’ nor was I ever told to pay extra. They simply gave me the can plus a cup with ice. Maybe just ask next time?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:36 pm

For #2 , because passengers would bring 2 carryon bags to the airport, check one for free at the curb, then still bring one onboard.

Only checking them for free at the gate closes this loophole. If a passsnger tried to gate check a bag while holding 3 items at the gate, there would be a charge.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Cans - It's all about weight. Most people don't seem to mind. Those who want a can just ask for one. If you don't and find yourself still thirsty, hit your call button and ask for a refill or, on a longer flight, take a stroll to the galley.

2. Bags - Maybe easier for you, but that's a revenue loss to DL. Might as well simply give everyone an included bag and charge more for the tickets.

I'm fine with the current system. No changes needed.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:16 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by andrewk829

2. Why is it that Delta, and the other airlines, do not allow non-status passengers to check "carry on eligible" bags for free in the front of the airport (up to one per passenger)? The airlines allow - and in fact encourage - passengers to check bags at the gate, which is complimentary. Why not just allow passengers to check small bags out front? Benefits are as follows:
For passengers:
(a) No need to invest in trial-sized toothpaste, shave cream, and other liquid-ish toiletries
(b) Faster security screening for self and others
(c) Don't need to be in a big hurry to board (and play the game of lining up early) in order to secure overhead bin space
(d) It's just generally more pleasant to navigate airports without a bag in tow.

For airline:
(a) No hassle of dealing with gate-checked bags (makes life easier for gate agents as well as baggage crews)
(b) Fewer delays caused by full overhead bins that necessitate last-minute scrambling to check bags or otherwise find a solution
(c) I doubt there would be any loss of revenue whatsoever because I imagine it is extraordinarily rare for someone to pay to check a bag that is eligible to be carried on.

For the record, I often check carry-on-eligible bags, because as an elite (and Delta Amex card holder), it's free . . . and mishandled baggage is a very, very rare phenomenon (my checked bags have not arrived with me only two times in 25 years of frequent flying). But no way would I ever pay to check a carry-on eligible bag.
I frequently get emails encouraging me to check my carry-on sized bag, without status, for free on Alaska. I can even tag it at home. That Delta doesn't offer this is on Delta (and likewise on American and United).
andrewk829 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Fly AA and you will get the cancer:

Zorak and defrosted like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
It's all about the money whisperer. If there's money to be made or saved, you'll be the first to be screwed.

Just an aside about the sanitation, as been pointed out, whatever is on the can gets poured into your cup -- but what about that ice?!?!? Ice machines are the grossest, moldiest, never-cleaned things you don't suspect. I always ask for no ice, I'd rather have a not quite cold drink than eat the ice from who knows where.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by pfreet
Delta does not have to use 12oz cans, they could hand out 8oz cans.
Yes, they could. Unfortunately, that would cost money. The manufacturing process is the same, and 12oz cans benefit from much larger production volumes. In fact 7.5oz cans are 50-100% more expensive per ounce of cola at retail compared to 12oz cans.

12oz->
Amazon Amazon
7.5oz->
Amazon Amazon

Add in the fact that the weight per serving on the plane just went waaay up, and this isn't likely to happen anytime soon.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by daloosh
Just an aside about the sanitation, as been pointed out, whatever is on the can gets poured into your cup -- but what about that ice?!?!? Ice machines are the grossest, moldiest, never-cleaned things you don't suspect. I always ask for no ice, I'd rather have a not quite cold drink than eat the ice from who knows where.
I would argue that whatever is on the can has less chance in your mouth when poured than when you have to put your lips on the can to drink from it. But I agree there is a chance with either.

Also ice is food, does it not have the same standards when sold as any other food item? I agree random ice machines can be DISGUSTING (witnessed it first hand), but if you are selling your ice to a catering company I would think there are some controls in place? Do you think the airline would chance making all their customers sick by buying ice from "who knows where"? I am seriously asking, if someone can speak firsthand about this I would be interested.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by daloosh
It's all about the money whisperer. If there's money to be made or saved, you'll be the first to be screwed.

Ice provisioned at outstations are provided in plastic bags from the same vendors that you’ll see at grocery store ice chests. I infer hub catering would be similar.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Ya, we see the FAs cracking those bags, and I hope they're clean, but I generally avoid all ice I can.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Often1
1. Cans - It's all about weight. Most people don't seem to mind. Those who want a can just ask for one. If you don't and find yourself still thirsty, hit your call button and ask for a refill or, on a longer flight, take a stroll to the galley.

2. Bags - Maybe easier for you, but that's a revenue loss to DL. Might as well simply give everyone an included bag and charge more for the tickets.

I'm fine with the current system. No changes needed.
Makes sense to me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.