Is Delta really different?

Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:53 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by gmt4
They have the weakest alliance partners and international route network
I could not agree more with that statement.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by gmt4
I was a loyal NWA flyer right up until the merger, and have maybe had 3 or 4 flights on DL in all the time since. All of us were very sad and angry to see the generous WorldPerks program and fairly smooth NWA operation go away back then. In the upper Midwest where I Iived at the time NWA was like the hometown airline and the CS I always received matched that. I left because DL was garbage and I didn't want to deal with the tumult the merger was causing. Perhaps I still harbor a tiny bit of bitterness after all this time, but have had zero compelling reason to go back since.

My most recent flight on DL was in Nov 18 and I saw nothing perceptibly better about the service. No one should kid themselves, the same baloney you see on AA and UA was there: a gaggle of a boarding process with the dozen BGs they have, curt FAs. They have the weakest alliance partners and international route network, and an incredibly unrewarding FF program. Maybe its a good option if you need to get around the southeastern US or to wonderful Detroit from most anywhere in the US, but for the flying I do they don't measure up and likely never will. I'll stay where I'm at now.
One can criticize their partners, but DLs international route network for TPAC and TATL blows AA away.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:13 pm

From an employee perspective, comparing Delta and United airport customer service has Delta far ahead in terms of corporate culture and job satisfaction imo. I think the same for flight attendants considering Deltas able to stave off unionizationtheyd have to be keeping flight attendants happy to do that.

Having fewer irops means less frustration and happier customers and employees, so that probably factors into employee pleasantness. Flexibility to resolve customer service failures helps, too. Its frustrating to want to help someone, but not have the tools or power to do anything. I think Delta is better than other airlines at keeping employees happy by keeping ops running relatively smoothly and empowering employees to resolve issues. Happy customers and happy employees influence each other.
MSPeconomist and jdrtravel like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:17 pm

Star Alliance is still pretty impressive internationally compared to SkyTeam.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:23 pm

I've flown AA for the last two years at PPRO/EXP and am now flying Delta as a Platinum Medallion. I'm much happier with Delta's offering for a few reasons:

- How is it possible that Delta has CLEAR set up in DFW at Terminal E and their Sky Clubs, but American doesn't, despite it being their home turf?
- Boarding a Delta flight is nowhere near as chaotic as boarding an AA flight usually is, though I have limited exposure to this one.
- The difference between American Admirals Club and Delta Sky Club was minimal for me, but me gaining "free" access to the Sky Club via my AMEX Platinum card is MASSIVE. Why can't American do the same? Why does American partner with second-rate credit card companies?
- Delta's uniform game is well above what American offers. This tells me that Delta cares more about their front-line employees.
- I haven't been on a SkyWest E175 that looks worn yet. Envoy or Republic E175s, on the other hand.............
- Delta's MD88 doesn't look like I should bring a walkman, and AA's 757 doesn't have power outlets, IIRC. I think the AA 757 just recently got Wi-Fi, and they use it between DFW and ORD...
- Comfort+ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Main Cabin Extra
- A220 vs 7M8...enough said.
- Delta's safety videos are really creative, and I like that Ed makes an appearance
- American's first class domestic product can be slightly better, though. But Delta's is consistent as hell.
- My customer service experience as a temporary Platinum Medallion member are on par with what I received as an Executive Platinum. It also seems that PMs get more via regional upgrade certificates, "gifting" Silver Medallion to people and auxillary benefits like Hertz President's Circle.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by carlosnunez.dfw
- Boarding a Delta flight is nowhere near as chaotic as boarding an AA flight usually is, though I have limited exposure to this one.
Trust me, it can be.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:41 pm

I like Delta. Having said that, they are the only carrier I fly that squeezes me into a CRJ200. If all my flights were mainline, I’d be much happier.
MSPeconomist and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
For me, the most noticeable difference is that Delta has this bright, red triangle-thingy painted on the tail and the others dont.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Star Alliance is still pretty impressive internationally compared to SkyTeam.
In both Europe and Asia, I think Skyteam offers very impressive partners. KL/AF combo bests the LH group and BA IMHO.

Living in China, I can get anywhere I want on Skyteam and I earn full MQM for all flights on MU and now KE.

Perhaps coverage to Latin America is lacking but each alliance has a weak point like OW in China or Star in OZ.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
I'm Plat with both DL and UA (lots of work in ATL and DEN). Flew at least 70 segments on each last year. I'l say Delta - on the whole - is far better, and much more consistent. A small number of UA features (787 domestically, Polaris lounge, etc.) trump DL, but overall Delta surpasses United on almost every metric.

This is probably due in large part to their culture.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
They are better than AA but not AS or UA in my opinion. Service is very hit or miss these days. And United will be leaving Delta in the dust with 60+ aircraft receiving Polaris this year and opening more Polaris clubs. The new Polaris club at LAX is breathtaking.
I too have been surprisingly impressed with the United product. It is coming on quickly and in many aspects, blows past the comparable Delta product. just like all of the carriers, United does have their warts. But they are making big strides in competing for the business market.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
All I know Is...

Delta is not perfect, for sure. But every time I fly United or American, I come back to Delta. The employees, overall, care--and it shows.
Duke787 and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FF524

I too have been surprisingly impressed with the United product. It is coming on quickly and in many aspects, blows past the comparable Delta product. just like all of the carriers, United does have their warts. But they are making big strides in competing for the business market.
Agreed. I was very hesitant to try United after all of the hate they get. I haven't had any issues on any of my flights with them. People on FT have quite the imagination.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gretchendz
Delta is not perfect, for sure. But every time I fly United or American, I come back to Delta. The employees, overall, care--and it shows.
I can't speak for AA but Delta has seriously taken a step back in customer service. I've been flying routes like ATL-MEM for close to 20 years and the never had an issue getting drinks served on that flight. Now all of a sudden they say it is too short of a flight for a full drink service. No, it isn't. Their flight attendants are just a lot lazier now.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by carlosnunez.dfw
- The difference between American Admirals Club and Delta Sky Club was minimal for me, but me gaining "free" access to the Sky Club via my AMEX Platinum card is MASSIVE. Why can't American do the same? Why does American partner with second-rate credit card companies?
American Express used to partner with AA and allow access to Admiral's Clubs until sometime in 2014. It was handy while it lasted.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.