Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Delta really different?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TheHorta
For me, the most noticeable difference is that Delta has this bright, red triangle-thingy painted on the tail and the others don’t.
I hadn't noticed that.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL Plat
i flew dl as a child in the 90s and after 10years of status at ua/us/aa as an adult i finally switched to dl about a year ago. most employees seem to go the extra mile on the soft touches to make it seem personal. while ua/us/aa employees rarely had (exception being the fa's on the us shuttle where i was a weekly regular).

my first flight after i switched i went to the pbi club and the agent asked me if i had been to the club before, when i explained i just converted to dl she promptly offer to give me a club tour. compared to ua club agents where i usually felt like an univited guest. to the fa who offered to hold my coffee when my hands were full and i was trying to put my bag in the bin...its the small touches.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pbarnette

One can criticize their partners, but DL’s international route network for TPAC and TATL blows AA away.
I would disagree. CX and JAL clearly beat KE and MU, starting with the lounges, plus I really don't want to connect through mainland China and experience the resulting ATC and military exercise plus weather delays. IMO it's scandalous that DL no longer serves HKG.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MikeNYC1
American Express used to partner with AA and allow access to Admiral's Clubs until sometime in 2014. It was handy while it lasted.
Better yet, you could access USAir lounges (not many but useful in some airports like BDL) even if not flying US or partners and even upon arrival.
MikeNYC1 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
I am friendly with a few upper management types at DL, who speak religiously about what they call the "Delta Difference."

Employees are trained specifically to use their brains and break rules (small rules, of course) to make the travel experience just a little better. This appears in all kinds of ways: in waiving a change fee... or throwing a Medallion (or a harried traveler) a free drink in coach... or really anything within reason.

Of course, not every interaction with a DL person will be positive. But they have metrics that show the customer experience is way more pleasant than UA/AA. It's good business, because they have developed the ability to charge more for better service.
MSPeconomist and KenTarmac like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by runningformqm
i flew dl as a child in the 90s and after 10years of status at ua/us/aa as an adult i finally switched to dl about a year ago. most employees seem to go the extra mile on the soft touches to make it seem personal. while ua/us/aa employees rarely had (exception being the fa's on the us shuttle where i was a weekly regular).

my first flight after i switched i went to the pbi club and the agent asked me if i had been to the club before, when i explained i just converted to dl she promptly offer to give me a club tour. compared to ua club agents where i usually felt like an univited guest. to the fa who offered to hold my coffee when my hands were full and i was trying to put my bag in the bin...its the small touches.
PBI was my home airport for 4 years (In TPA now) and the SC agents are great there. It is a small, quaint club comapred to many. In ATL I doubt you would ever get such service and feel like an unwanted guest in a herd of cattle.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Delta loves to fly, and it shows.

Can the same same be said of the others? I think not.

Therefore, I Delta.
KenTarmac likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by apodo77
PBI was my home airport for 4 years (In TPA now) and the SC agents are great there. It is a small, quaint club comapred to many. In ATL I doubt you would ever get such service and feel like an unwanted guest in a herd of cattle.
ive connected in atl dozens of times since converting and havent had a negative experience yet. an agent was curt once but almost all have been pleasant.

agree about pbi, great outstation and one reason i switched to dl (only club at pbi for now, apparently the aa terminal is getting a shared use club)

Last edited by runningformqm; Feb 2, 2019 at 3:39 pm
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
Employees are trained specifically to use their brains and break rules (small rules, of course) to make the travel experience just a little better.
IMHO, that's a tad bit disingenuous of them -- put in place some draconian policies (e.g., 72hr rule on awards) and then make us feel special by not enforcing them "as a one-time courtesy"?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
The Spousal Unit ended up doing a lot of flights up to see his parents in the last year of their lives and then help wrap up the estate. And I burned through a good chunk of my miles & gift cards stash across the Big Four trying to make that happen in the most economical way possible.

When he was looking at about 90% odds of a misconnect with American, he asked for rebooking assistance fro ma GA, got a shrug, and was told they wouldn't do anything for him until he actually missed his next flight in Charlotte.

When it was about 50/50 odds of a misconnect with Delta, the GA was all 'I think you'll be good making the connecting in Atlanta, but if you don't, I'm proactively booking you a back-up seat on the following flight'

For the Delta one, he was waiting for a plane about five hours after his mother died. He's not the kind of person to ever play the dead parent card in attempt to get some sort of special request. But Delta had a system in place that gave him a lot more peace of mind that he'd get back to our house that day, and that system actually made a difference on on one of the worst days of his life.
MIA-SAT likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:58 am

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
As a DL DM and an AA EXP I have a fair amount of experience with both airlines. Value and performance are always based on what matters to you. Overall I think that DL is a far better and more consistent airline. AA is going through a horrible spell right now...to the point that is has fallen below UA in terms of service and quality. Here's my take on DL vs AA and who is better:

App: DL
Pre-Flight Info on delays: DL
Ticketing and Check-In Experience: Tied
Upgrade Frequency: AA
Lounges: DL
Lounge Food & Beverage: DL (though the Flagship lounges blow everything away)
Hubs: DL
Aircraft Interiors: DL (AA still has mainline aircraft with no powerports)
International Business: Depends: AA 787s are great, AA 767s are beyond lousy. DL A350's are heaven. DL 330s feel like coffins - I'll call it a tie
On-Time Reliability: DL
IRROPS Information Sharing: DL
Cancellation Rates: DL
Regional Carriers: DL
Pleasantness of Employees: DL
In-Flight Food and Beverage: Tie
Award Availability: AA

Final Score: DL: 11 AA: 3
Good list. The two biggest standouts. AA has the better booking website that recognizes your status and allows you to book all eligible seats, without having to wait for the silly "You got upgraded" email after booking. DL does manage IRROPS the best. One thing not mentioned is phone line.

Elite Phone Line: I would go with AA. The DM line has suffered over the last few years or I have been batting well below .500 with competent service.

As I said in a different post, the change from DL to AA took some time to get used to, but EXP has been a very good experience so far.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by gmt4
I was a loyal NWA flyer right up until the merger, and have maybe had 3 or 4 flights on DL in all the time since. All of us were very sad and angry to see the generous WorldPerks program and fairly smooth NWA operation go away back then. In the upper Midwest where I Iived at the time NWA was like the hometown airline and the CS I always received matched that. I left because DL was garbage and I didn't want to deal with the tumult the merger was causing. Perhaps I still harbor a tiny bit of bitterness after all this time, but have had zero compelling reason to go back since.
Those are very rose colored memories of NWA, IMO. Having grown up in an NWA fortress hub, I remember lots of labor issues and airplane cabins in serious need of updating. Remember that when NWA/DL merged, the 747's still did not have seat-back screens or power ports. Staff were often grumpy and there were many strikes. WorldPerks was generous compared to the Sky Miles program, but that is an industry wide trend, not something unique about WorldPerks or Sky Miles.

Yes, NWA was great at keeping the planes running on time, and DL has certainly inherited that, along with the much friendlier PMDL southern culture.
NYC Flyer likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: Delta PM, MM
Originally Posted by SYRRDU
Good list. The two biggest standouts. AA has the better booking website that recognizes your status and allows you to book all eligible seats, without having to wait for the silly "You got upgraded" email after booking. DL does manage IRROPS the best. One thing not mentioned is phone line.

Elite Phone Line: I would go with AA. The DM line has suffered over the last few years or I have been batting well below .500 with competent service.

As I said in a different post, the change from DL to AA took some time to get used to, but EXP has been a very good experience so far.
I just took my first trip on AA in about 15 years. I had to book close to departure, and there was zero flexibility in my schedule. The only Delta option that would work for me was $980. AA has recently started service in my home airport (SBN) and they had an option that would work for $450. I would say that the plane was more comfortable than what DL flies out of SBN, and even had a small first class section. But what really impressed me was the IRROPS. Our evening flight CLT - SBN diverted to Indianapolis due to fog in SBN. By the time we landed in Indianapolis the pilot had told us the flight would be cancelled because the fog wasn't going to clear for a while. I was mentally making plans to call and book a hotel for the night, assuming no vouchers because it was a weather problem. When we landed there were agents to meet the flight. We all quickly received a hotel voucher (Crowne Plaza) and a meal voucher ($12), were told what time to be at the airport in the morning, collected our luggage at the carousel, and grabbed the shuttle to the hotel. I don't know if it's usual for AA to pay for hotel and meals when there's a weather-related cancellation, but it went far beyond what I expected, and beyond what I have come to expect from Delta in similar weather situations. I was impressed.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by apodo77
PBI SC is great for many reasons. One of them is that Ed Bastian frequents it on the weekends.
https://www.bizjournals.com/southflo...ton-condo.html

Agree that the "Delta Difference" is not just a slogan. They do execute it well.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:22 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So having originally been a NW patron for many decades before the merger with Delta, I have a perspective of how things have changed. Though much of the current leadership at Delta has origins at NW, it really seems that they have taken the best of both airlines and truly made the best of it all. Though there are plenty of things that don't go perfectly, in general, I find the airline to be trying it's best and working to better themselves.

Your stories are fantastic and hope that things are going to continue to improve both on the basic performance (way way better), hard product (I'm mixed because it sometimes seems like they are just giving to the uber rich and taking a bit more away from the middle of the road, though seems they are doing ok for the say basic economy segment), and service (which is often quite good).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.