FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Why can't agents book/price 3-stop itineraries (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1953768-why-cant-agents-book-price-3-stop-itineraries.html)

VXforever Jan 30, 2019 6:08 am

Why can't agents book/price 3-stop itineraries

Changing/modifying a flight, via SDC, IROP, or weather waiver is normally easy. But why does it become seemingly impossible to change a 4-segment itinerary? I'm a remote city, need to connect through twohubs, and end in another remote city.

their agents / compters seem incapabable of doing this.

xliioper Jan 30, 2019 6:37 am

Most fares only a allow a single connection (or non-stop if there are a decent number of non-stop's on the route). Routing rules can be found on EF if you have an account there. Agents have more ability to violate routing rules with SDC/IRROP's. May be possible to do with a broken fare, but if it is a cheap fare, you will likely save by buying as separate tickets as you may have to upfare to a fare that permits end-on-end fare combinations if on a single ticket. May also require a stop of longer than 4 hours in order to fare out on a single ticket (again, the solution is to book the fares on separate tickets). Either way, it's going to cost more than a single through fare in most cases.

ethernal Jan 30, 2019 6:41 am

Originally Posted by VX N281VA (Post 30718280)
Changing/modifying a flight, via SDC, IROP, or weather waiver is normally easy. But why does it become seemingly impossible to change a 4-segment itinerary? I'm a remote city, need to connect through twohubs, and end in another remote city.

Can't answer the question (LBJ is the resident Delta fare expert and he's already responded) - but wouldn't this be two stops?

REMOTE <-> HUB <-> HUB <-> REMOTE?

That's only three segments. I see two stop domestic tickets all the time and they seem to price alright. I could see you trying to add three stops as being an invalid routing in pretty much any case (at least domestically). I can't think of a single city that would require three stops within the domestic US. It would essentially necessitate bouncing around hubs (e.g., REMOTE <-> SLC <-> ATL <-> DTW <-> REMOTE). Given that all hubs have high frequency connectivity to other hubs, this would never make sense.

VXforever Jan 30, 2019 6:55 am

This fare allowed three stops on most routings (maybe four, but not sure). Obscure city - Hub - Hub - Hub -Obscure city.

But put aside the nonsense that LBJ says. I booked a ticket with three stops - valid on the fare rules and bookable via dl.com. It involved cities affected by the numerous WX waivers this week, yet no agent (i called 11 times) could replicate my routing manually.

I finally gave up and rebooked it myself while on the phone with the agent, who gave me a TCV for the price difference.

LBJ - you are wrong. this was a single fare, not broken. No upfare, no EOE issues. Its a simple one way from one obscure city to another.

VXforever Jan 30, 2019 6:56 am

Originally Posted by ethernal (Post 30718394)
I can't think of a single city that would require three stops within the domestic US. It would essentially necessitate bouncing around hubs (e.g., REMOTE <-> SLC <-> ATL <-> DTW <-> REMOTE). Given that all hubs have high frequency connectivity to other hubs, this would never make sense.

Think harder.

xliioper Jan 30, 2019 7:03 am

Originally Posted by VX N281VA (Post 30718435)
This fare allowed three stops on most routings (maybe four, but not sure). Obscure city - Hub - Hub - Hub -Obscure city.

But put aside the nonsense that LBJ says. I booked a ticket with three stops - valid on the fare rules and bookable via dl.com. It involved cities affected by the numerous WX waivers this week, yet no agent (i called 11 times) could replicate my routing manually.

I finally gave up and rebooked it myself while on the phone with the agent, who gave me a TCV for the price difference.

LBJ - you are wrong. this was a single fare, not broken. No upfare, no EOE issues. Its a simple one way from one obscure city to another.

What "nonsense" am I saying? If you are looking at the "Transfers" boilerplate section in the fare rules, that's not the routing rules. The only public place I'm aware of on the internet where you can find the routing rules is EF. Also, just because a fare allows double-connect's doesn't mean there will bucket inventory in the married segments for a particular fare. If you are talking about an international fare, that's different and is generally covered by MPM rules. You could end this mystery by just naming the route.

VXforever Jan 30, 2019 7:11 am

ethernal Jan 30, 2019 7:14 am

Originally Posted by VX N281VA (Post 30718441)
Think harder.

I'm thinking as hard as I can. Name one city pair in the US that requires three hub stops... there are none (assuming we're talking exclusively about Delta/Delta connection metal). The only exception here I can think of is some sort of connection using a local carrier (e.g., Hawaiian Air in Hawaii), but then you're no longer on Delta metal and you're dealing with partner routings which will of course have more pricing issues...

VXforever Jan 30, 2019 7:21 am

Originally Posted by ethernal (Post 30718491)
I'm thinking as hard as I can. Name one city pair in the US that requires three hub stops... there are none (assuming we're talking exclusively about Delta/Delta connection metal). The only exception here I can think of is some sort of connection using a local carrier (e.g., Hawaiian Air in Hawaii), but then you're no longer on Delta metal and you're dealing with partner routings which will of course have more pricing issues...

"requires" versus "allows" are very different concepts. When making changes especially under WX waivers, *allows* is what matters.

Nothing REQUIRES three hub stops.

But to remind you that it's possible, I did fly SLC-LAX-SFO-SEA-PDX last year. So, I'm done engaging with your hub stop max bs theory.

VXforever Jan 30, 2019 7:23 am

Moderator: please close thread. Responses have been unintelligible, inaccurate, and doubting of real facts. The conversation is not productive and it'd be better had between a DL res manager and I.

Sadly, users here have been unable to contribute meaningfully.

xliioper Jan 30, 2019 7:24 am

Your initial post made it sound like this was not a weather waiver situation. Now you are seeming to indicate it is. Which is it? Was this a full F fare (or rather J fare) or a discount one? Discount fares have change fees and you will still be subject to married segment bucket availability (unless the city is covered by a weather waiver).

kop84 Jan 30, 2019 7:26 am

Originally Posted by VX N281VA (Post 30718280)

Originally Posted by VX N281VA (Post 30718511)
"requires" versus "allows" are very different concepts. When making changes especially under WX waivers, *allows* is what matters.

But to remind you that it's possible, I did fly LAS-LAX-SEA-SLC-PDX last year. So, I'm done engaging with your hub stop max bs theory.

So which is it? And if you're as rude to the DL phone reps as you are being to people on this thread, no wonder they don't want to help you add a completely unnecessary segment.

MSPeconomist Jan 30, 2019 7:30 am

Originally Posted by VX N281VA (Post 30718481)
No. Im not stupid and know the transfers section isn't germane here. See below. Please correct me if the routing rules do not allow for three stops. (there was bucket inventory in all of them, and with a F fare, it shouldnt matter whether its Z or J.)
1. ITH-ATL-DL-ATL/BOS/CHI/CVG/DTT/LAX/MEM/MSP/NYC/ORL/SLC/
WAS-ATL/BOS/CHI/CVG/DTT/FLL/LAX/MIA/MSP/NYC/ORL/SLC-SDQ
2. ITH-ATL-DL-SDQ
3. ITH-ATL-DL-SXM-WM-SDQ
4. ITH-ATL/CVG/DTT/MEM/NYC-ATL-DL-ATL/BOS/CHI/CVG/DTT/LAX/
MEM/MSP/NYC/ORL/SLC/WAS-ATL/BOS/CHI/CVG/DTT/FLL/LAX/MIA/
MSP/NYC/ORL/SLC-SDQ
5. ITH-ATL/CVG/DTT/MEM/NYC-ATL-DL-SDQ
6. ITH-ATL/CVG/DTT/MEM/NYC-ATL-DL-SXM-WM-SDQ
7. ITH-ATL/CVG/DTT/MEM/NYC-ATL/BOS/CHI/CVG/DTT/FLL/LAX/MIA/
MSP/NYC/ORL/SLC-SDQ
8. ITH-ATL/CVG/DTT/MEM/NYC-ATL/BOS/CVG/DTT/MIA/MSP/NYC-MIA-
DL-ATL/BOS/CHI/CVG/DTT/LAX/MEM/MSP/NYC/ORL/SLC/WAS-ATL/
BOS/CHI/CVG/DTT/FLL/LAX/MIA/MSP/NYC/ORL/SLC-SDQ
9. ITH-ATL/CVG/DTT/MEM/NYC-ATL/BOS/CVG/DTT/MIA/MSP/NYC-MIA-
SDQ
10. ITH-ATL/CVG/DTT/MEM/NYC-ATL/BOS/CVG/DTT/MIA/MSP/NYC-SDQ
11. ITH-ATL/CVG/DTT/MEM/NYC-ATL/BOS/CVG/DTT/MIA/MSP/NYC-SJU-
DL-ATL/BOS/CHI/CVG/DTT/LAX/MEM/MSP/NYC/ORL/SLC/WAS-ATL/
BOS/CHI/CVG/DTT/FLL/LAX/MIA/MSP/NYC/ORL/SLC-SDQ
12. ITH-ATL/CVG/DTT/MEM/NYC-ATL/BOS/CVG/DTT/MIA/MSP/NYC-SJU-
SXM-WM-SDQ
13. ITH-ATL/CVG/DTT/MEM/NYC-ATL/BOS/CVG/DTT/MIA/MSP/NYC-SXM-
WM-SDQ
14. ITH-ATL/CVG/DTT/MEM/NYC-ATL/BOS/CVG/DTT/MSP/NYC-ATL/BOS/
CHI/CVG/DTT/FLL/LAX/MIA/MSP/NYC/ORL/SLC-SDQ
15. ITH-ATL/CVG/DTT/MEM/NYC-BOS-DL-ATL/BOS/CHI/CVG/DTT/LAX/
MSP/NYC/ORL/SLC-SDQ
16. ITH-ATL/CVG/DTT/MEM/NYC-BOS/CVG/DTT/MSP/NYC-ATL/LAX-DL-SDQ
17. ITH-ATL/CVG/DTT/MEM/NYC-BOS/CVG/DTT/MSP/NYC-ATL/LAX-DL-
SXM-WM-SDQ
18. ITH-ATL/CVG/DTT/MEM/NYC-CVG-DL-ATL/BOS/CHI/CVG/DTT/LAX/
MSP/NYC/ORL/SLC-SDQ
19. ITH-ATL/CVG/DTT/MEM/NYC-DTT-DL-ATL/BOS/CHI/CVG/DTT/LAX/
MSP/NYC/ORL/SLC-SDQ
20. ITH-ATL/CVG/DTT/MEM/NYC-MIA-DL-ATL/BOS/CHI/CVG/DTT/LAX/
MSP/NYC/ORL/SLC-SDQ
21. ITH-ATL/CVG/DTT/MEM/NYC-MSP-DL-ATL/BOS/CHI/CVG/DTT/LAX/
MSP/NYC/ORL/SLC-SDQ
22. ITH-ATL/CVG/DTT/MEM/NYC-NYC-DL-ATL/BOS/CHI/CVG/DTT/LAX/
MSP/NYC/ORL/SLC-SDQ
23. ITH-ATL/CVG/DTT/NYC-SDQ
24. ITH-CVG-DL-ATL/BOS/CHI/CVG/DTT/LAX/MEM/MSP/NYC/ORL/SLC/
25. ITH-CVG/DTT/NYC-ATL/LAX-DL-SDQ
26. ITH-CVG/DTT/NYC-ATL/LAX-DL-SXM-WM-SDQ
27. ITH-DL-ATL/BOS/CHI/CVG/DTT/LAX/MEM/MSP/NYC/ORL/SLC/WAS-
ATL/BOS/CHI/CVG/DTT/FLL/LAX/MIA/MSP/NYC/ORL/SLC-SDQ
28. ITH-DTT-DL-ATL/BOS/CHI/CVG/DTT/LAX/MEM/MSP/NYC/ORL/SLC/
29. ITH-MEM-DL-ATL/BOS/CHI/CVG/DTT/LAX/MEM/MSP/NYC/ORL/SLC/
30. ITH-NYC-DL-ATL/BOS/CHI/CVG/DTT/LAX/MEM/MSP/NYC/ORL/SLC/

This is a strange example because SDQ isn't domestic and the only DL flights from Ithaca go to DTW. There's no ITH-ATL service.

VXforever Jan 30, 2019 7:32 am

Originally Posted by kop84 (Post 30718534)
So which is it? And if you're as rude to the DL phone reps as you are being to people on this thread, no wonder they don't want to help you add a completely unnecessary segment.

Im actually quite nice to DL agents - they just tell me the computer wont let them manually resell 4-seg tickets.

My appologies if i come accross as rude, i'm just annoyed that i'm being challenged at every juncture here.

ethernal Jan 30, 2019 7:34 am

Originally Posted by VX N281VA (Post 30718511)

But to remind you that it's possible, I did fly LAS-LAX-SEA-SLC-PDX last year. So, I'm done engaging with your hub stop max bs theory.

Sure, you can create any routing that you want. There is just no guarantee that Delta will treat it as a single trip between city pairs. I specifically said requires. And my point still stands - no US city pairs require more than two stops to get between.

I don't think anyone here understands what you're asking.

If you're asking an agent to do a change for IRROPS, then they are usually flexible, but they have no obligations to pick whatever arbitrary routing you want. If you can get to A to B within a reasonable timeframe then they have fulfilled their obligation. Given that connecting at a bunch of extra hubs actually takes longer, I'm not surprised they don't want to put you on that route. Delta does not owe you any specific routing. If you don't like how that impacts your MQMs, then ask for original routing credit. Jeez.

VXforever Jan 30, 2019 7:37 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30718551)
This is a strange example because SDQ isn't domestic and the only DL flights from Ithaca go to DTW. There's no ITH-ATL service.

Yes, it is strange. I never said it was a domestic itinerary. I agree with you that the routing rules are overbroad, Many cities that serve neither ITH or SDQ are listed as potential first/last cxn points.

VXforever Jan 30, 2019 7:42 am

Originally Posted by ethernal (Post 30718568)
Sure, you can create any routing that you want. There is just no guarantee that Delta will treat it as a single trip between city pairs. I specifically said requires. And my point still stands - no US city pairs require more than two stops to get between.

I don't think anyone here understands what you're asking.

If you're asking an agent to do a change for IRROPS, then they are usually flexible, but they have no obligations to pick whatever arbitrary routing you want. If you can get to A to B within a reasonable timeframe then they have fulfilled their obligation. Given that connecting at a bunch of extra hubs actually takes longer, I'm not surprised they don't want to put you on that route. Delta does not owe you any specific routing. If you don't like how that impacts your MQMs, then ask for original routing credit. Jeez.

FFS, i was asking for routing explicitly allowed by the fare rules as posted above. I had a 4 segment trip at first, WX waiver hit, and wanted to retain a 4 segment trip, just via different (AND PERMISSIBLE) cities.

Is your purpose here to dissuade me from ever posting again? Because your arrogant hostility is not helping; I was asking why DL agents have issues (presumably technical rather than competency) with reissuing/rebooking such trips.

I'd gladly take one less cxn, btw

MSPeconomist Jan 30, 2019 7:46 am

The "normal" routing here would be ITH-DTW-ATL-SDQ. If you want to visit a third hub, going ITH-DTW-MSP-ATL-SDQ or ITH-DTW-LGA-ATL-SDQ might not look unreasonable.

However, one problem is that the ITH flights are normally operated with a CRJ-200 (about three times a day, so the connection times can be hard to get something reasonable) and delta.dumb tends to not offer G A P fares for the mainline connecting segments unless the flight you're trying to book is sold out in coach. It won't normally sell a FC through fare and just put you in coach or C+ on the CRJ segment.

VXforever Jan 30, 2019 7:55 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30718614)
The "normal" routing here would be ITH-DTW-ATL-SDQ. If you want to visit a third hub, going ITH-DTW-MSP-ATL-SDQ or ITH-DTW-JFK-ATL-SDQ might not look unreasonable.

However, one problem is that the ITH flights are normally operated with a CRJ-200 (about three times a day, so the connection times can be hard to get something reasonable) and delta.dumb tends to not offer G A P fares for the mainline connecting segments unless the flight you're trying to book is sold out in coach. It won't normally sell a FC through fare and just put you in coach or C+ on the CRJ segment.

THANK YOU for providing a voice a reason here. Aside from ITH-DTW-ATL-SDQ, ITH-DTW-JFK-SDQ is also readily apparent. The folks who posted upstream may not like it, but even ITH-DTW-ATL-JFK-SDQ can work esp when the timings of the ITH-DTW and ATL/JFK dont quite align.

The CR2 is a whole 'nother issue. UGH. I'm sure I'll be shamed for expressing that opinion, too.

davedeboston Jan 30, 2019 8:32 am

Originally Posted by kop84 (Post 30718534)

And they called 11 times haha
I'm noticing a trend here..
Flying unnecessary segments, calling in an exorbitant amount of times and expecting a different answer even after call #8 lol Then reacting quite rudely when they weren't given answers on this that fit their motive.
Hmmm...

Thysk Jan 30, 2019 8:33 am

Thanks for posting the 25 different "runs". Problem with being rebooked is, that agents usually think "timewise" instead of segment/MQM wise. It could indeed be the case that Amadeus does not favor the schedules that you have posted. I've been having the same issue when doing the OTP-PHX BA/OW runs, I can set up the schedule with 6 stops, however, when there is 1 delay or cancellation, I end up with max 2 layovers, due to the agents not being able to book more segments.

av8rsamr Jan 30, 2019 8:43 am

Had a similar experience. I've turned BOS-LGA-SAV into BOS-JFK-DTW-ATL-SAV during one of the snowstorms. I simply gave the agent on the PM line the flight numbers. Her system wouldn't let her reissue. She placed me on hold while she contacted Global Ticketing Support (or maybe the reissues desk, not sure). Took about 45 minutes on hold, but they were able to force it through manually. Instead of an even exchange (L for L), ended up with "Y" fares on each segment. IROPS typically means a lot of the published fare rules get overlooked due to it being Service Recovery.

iflyalexair Jan 30, 2019 9:34 am

OP, why not post the routing as opposed to this back and forth to "think harder" to figure out?

3Cforme Jan 30, 2019 10:34 am

In asking for help or an explanation it's best to be as specific as possible.

Award routings in the U.S., and between the U.S. and Canada, appear to be limited to 3 segments on a single fare component. (I have checked a few city pairs since the 11/2014 rule changes and am pretty comfortable stating it as a general rule.) Award routings U.S. - Mexico, and U.S. non-Canada international, appear to be generally limited to four segments, again on a single fare component. As for paid routings, check the rule for the fare you're willing to pay, for the specific airport pair, from the country in which you propose to buy the ticket. Yes, U.S. carrier fares can be that specific. Without that info people are just stuck guessing.

ITH-SDQ permits 4 segments on even cheap coach fares. ITA Matrix quickly found a DL VNNA0SBZ ITH to SDQ, ITH-DTW-DCA-JFK-SDQ. It is true some of the routing rules 'permit' service that isn't presently operated by Delta. I get the impression that routing rules are updated infrequently. There's probably lots of xxx-CVG-YYY or XXX-MEM-YYY that has been gone for years. Delta.com did not propose the ITH-DTW-DCA-JFK-SDQ routing - nor any other 4-segment routing among all offered - for the date checked.

I don't know that it's the intent of weather waivers to enable passengers to chase MQM. The carrier's obligation is to transport one from the origin to the destination, or, with two fare components, from origin-destination1, destination1-destination2, as used to be possible DTW-MDW-MSP to beat the high DTW-MSP fares.

ajggiant Jan 30, 2019 10:52 am

OP, I am curious about how you booked on delta.com, was it directly through a search on delta.com or via another way? I've noticed something similar in the past. If I try using the delta.com search (dummy booking for March 19), I get only 7 options, all with only two connections, either DTW-JFK or DTW-ATL. However, if I try a ITA Matrix search, then use Bookwithmatrix.com (selecting Delta under the Book With dropdown), I can purchase through Delta.com a number of 3-connection routings, for instance DTW-ATL-JFK (but other combos available too) at the same low pricing as the 2-stop. I wonder if the agents search/booking capability is somehow similarly limited as the delta.com search functionality.

ATOBTTR Jan 30, 2019 10:56 am

Originally Posted by davedeboston (Post 30718808)

Flying unnecessary segments, calling in an exorbitant amount of times and expecting a different answer even after call #8 lol Then reacting quite rudely when they weren't given answers on this that fit their motive.
Hmmm...

Especially during IROPs. I mean I fully admit to booking extra segments for extra MQMs, new routes on the flight map, or just getting extra flights, and if DL will sell them that way, DL is obviously okay with it but during IROPs, every seat OP takes on a flight to keep up his round the country trip with more-than-necessary segments is one less seat DL can use for another IROP'ed passenger and the time spent trying to force it through the system is time they can't spend assisting another passenger, so I can see legitimately why DL agents have no desire to go above and beyond to accommodate such a request during IROPs when there are more efficient options available. OP can always apply for ORC afterward.

jinglish Jan 30, 2019 10:58 am

Then reacting quite rudely when they weren't given answers on this that fit their motive.
Hmmm...

OP does that a lot.

MSPeconomist Jan 30, 2019 11:25 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 30719422)
In asking for help or an explanation it's best to be as specific as possible.

Award routings in the U.S., and between the U.S. and Canada, appear to be limited to 3 segments on a single fare component. (I have checked a few city pairs since the 11/2014 rule changes and am pretty comfortable stating it as a general rule.) Award routings U.S. - Mexico, and U.S. non-Canada international, appear to be generally limited to four segments, again on a single fare component. As for paid routings, check the rule for the fare you're willing to pay, for the specific airport pair, from the country in which you propose to buy the ticket. Yes, U.S. carrier fares can be that specific. Without that info people are just stuck guessing.

ITH-SDQ permits 4 segments on even cheap coach fares. ITA Matrix quickly found a DL VNNA0SBZ ITH to SDQ, ITH-DTW-DCA-JFK-SDQ. It is true some of the routing rules 'permit' service that isn't presently operated by Delta. I get the impression that routing rules are updated infrequently. There's probably lots of xxx-CVG-YYY or XXX-MEM-YYY that has been gone for years. Delta.com did not propose the ITH-DTW-DCA-JFK-SDQ routing - nor any other 4-segment routing among all offered - for the date checked.

I don't know that it's the intent of weather waivers to enable passengers to chase MQM. The carrier's obligation is to transport one from the origin to the destination, or, with two fare components, from origin-destination1, destination1-destination2, as used to be possible DTW-MDW-MSP to beat the high DTW-MSP fares.

Somewhat OT, but AFAIK DL, including PMNW/PMDL, have never flown any ITH route other than to/from DTW. ITH service was added five or ten years ago with four CRJ-200 flights on most days to/from DTW and within the last couple years this has been reduced to three flights in each direction on most days. It's a small airport, although they built a new terminal at some point and now even have jetways.

Service originally was Mohawk, which became part of Allegheny and then USAir, now dba AA. I suspect that UA and other carriers never served ITH, although they might do Elmira, another small upstate NY airport, located about an hour's drive from Ithaca.

kochleffel Jan 30, 2019 11:40 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30719705)
I suspect that UA and other carriers never served ITH, although they might do Elmira, another small upstate NY airport, located about an hour's drive from Ithaca.

There are two United Express flights a day from ITH to IAD, operated by Commutair. There are also two flights from ELM to EWR, but in April those flights change to IAD.

ajggiant Jan 30, 2019 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 30719422)
I get the impression that routing rules are updated infrequently. There's probably lots of xxx-CVG-YYY or XXX-MEM-YYY that has been gone for years.

Adding data point. Delta updated the routing rules for LGA-CHO on 11/26/18 (Comparing full fare basis Y using ticketing date in expert flyer, it wasn't just a discount fare change)

Before: NYC-RDU/NYC/DTT/CVG/BOS/ATL-CHO
After: NYC-RDU/NYC/DTT/CVG/BOS-CHO

Only service into CHO is from LGA and ATL, so deleting ATL had the effect of requiring non-stop routing. But if Delta is going through the step of changing routing rules, I wonder why they leave RDU/DTT/CVG/BOS in there?

MSPeconomist Jan 30, 2019 2:33 pm

I can imagine that there are an enormous number of fare rules and even city pairs so it might not be cost effective for FL to routinely update them based on the current network, but some of these seem ridiculous. OTOH maybe SOP is to insert all hubs as a placeholder to cover future schedule changes.

It would be interesting to hear an explanation from someone who works in RM or otherwise has some experience in how fare rules are determined.

Zorak Jan 30, 2019 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by VX N281VA (Post 30718481)
No. Im not stupid and know the transfers section isn't germane here. See below. Please correct me if the routing rules do not allow for three stops.

The routing rules may allow for it, but that doesn't mean you get to ignore the limitation (if any) on transfers, any more than those multiple stop routings mean you could fly through those cities and ignore min/max stay clauses.

So what do the full fare rules say?

Originally Posted by VX N281VA (Post 30718522)
Moderator: please close thread. Responses have been unintelligible, inaccurate, and doubting of real facts. The conversation is not productive and it'd be better had between a DL res manager and I.

Sadly, users here have been unable to contribute meaningfully.

aka "I don't like any of the answers I've gotten regarding a situation I inflicted on myself by knowingly pushing boundaries"

Originally Posted by jinglish (Post 30719561)
OP does that a lot.

Yep. This thread seems like par for the course .

3Cforme Jan 30, 2019 5:28 pm

So, there's been some dissatisfaction with the OP's approach here. I'll ask you to stop piling on and let the Moderators deal with it. Criticize the argument and issues presented, not the poster.

If you want to discuss weather waivers and routings ITH-SDQ, please continue.

3Cforme - Delta Forum Moderator

VXforever Jan 30, 2019 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Thysk (Post 30718812)
Thanks for posting the 25 different "runs". Problem with being rebooked is, that agents usually think "timewise" instead of segment/MQM wise. It could indeed be the case that Amadeus does not favor the schedules that you have posted. I've been having the same issue when doing the OTP-PHX BA/OW runs, I can set up the schedule with 6 stops, however, when there is 1 delay or cancellation, I end up with max 2 layovers, due to the agents not being able to book more segments.

This seems to be the issue.

VXforever Jan 30, 2019 6:53 pm

Hmmm...

What's your point here? I called 11 times because none of the agents could figure out how to use the system to rebook a 3-stop itinerary that I made via delta.com. I simply wanted to move the entire trip by a few days and keep the same flights. Eventually I got some great agent on the line who was able to make it work.

VXforever Jan 30, 2019 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 30720924)
The routing rules may allow for it, but that doesn't mean you get to ignore the limitation (if any) on transfers, any more than those multiple stop routings mean you could fly through those cities and ignore min/max stay clauses.

So what do the full fare rules say?

aka "I don't like any of the answers I've gotten regarding a situation I inflicted on myself by knowingly pushing boundaries"

Yep. This thread seems like par for the course .

I've had it with you and your assumptions.

1) The full fare rules state:

UNLIMITED TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION
ANY COMBINATION OF THE FOLLOWING -
UNLIMITED ONLINE ON DL.
AND - 1 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION
ANY COMBINATION OF THE FOLLOWING -
1 INTERLINE INCLUDING DL.
FARE BREAK SURFACE SECTORS NOT PERMITTED AND
EMBEDDED SURFACE SECTORS PERMITTED ON THE FARE
COMPONENT."

Do you know what unlimited means?

2) How is it pushing boundaries to ask for an W-X-Y-Z flying to/from/through at least two cities affected by WX delays to be moved to W-X-Y-Z a few days later?

3) Par for the course for what?

VXforever Jan 30, 2019 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30720594)
I can imagine that there are an enormous number of fare rules and even city pairs so it might not be cost effective for FL to routinely update them based on the current network, but some of these seem ridiculous. OTOH maybe SOP is to insert all hubs as a placeholder to cover future schedule changes.

It would be interesting to hear an explanation from someone who works in RM or otherwise has some experience in how fare rules are determined.

That'd be a fascinating explanation. It seems, genearlly, that the more obscure cities have all/most hubs included, even if the routes aren't flown. More popular routes, on the other hand, generally seem to have fare rules that are individually tailored to the O&D cities, the hubs in between, and the reasonableness/necessity of the connection.

ryandc99 Jan 30, 2019 9:47 pm

This thread is closed as the discussion was not productive.

Ryandc99, Moderator Delta Air Lines