Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

News Article Really Not That Helpful for ATL Terminal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

Yea - not just about Delta, but ATL and DL go together.

I really hit myself when reading most "mainstream" travel articles. Why is it so hard to give out good information? I just find so many articles less than helpful.

In particular : "When I change planes here, I never book less than 90-minute transition," she says."

90 minutes? ... rare that we ever have even an hour, and never an issue.

CNN Travel Article Here
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Why is it so hard to give out good information?
CNN!
Two words.
Fake
News

couldn't resist
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Depending on a variety of factors (e.g. time of day, weather), it can be smooth sailing and early arrivals or a nightmare and late arrivals. I find that the morning is generally better in terms of both weather and delays. On many occasions, I have booked 45 minute transit times with DL and have still got to the departing flight before boarding commences.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:29 pm

Gotta think an Atlanta-based flyer, which she is, wouldn't "change planes here" very often.

Nor need to walk from T to F, barring some really improbable breakdown.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I find most travel articles from basically any news source humorous. There are still "dress nicely and say it's your honeymoon" upgrade advice columns that come out seemingly every week.

One of the few things I find more entertaining when it comes to online reading is expanding the comments on airlines' Facebook posts. Pure comedy gold. Or disappointment in the human race - your pick.
wds17, ATOBTTR, mdbe and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
And anyone who has a SC membership but seems to have eaten at many restaurants at ATL probably enjoys spending more time in airports.
I'm fine with some Wicked Thai Soup over looking for restaurants.
Shame on CNN for using a single source for this article. They could have just surveyed all of their crews who use ATL often.
strickerj and LegalTender like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by gooselee
...One of the few things I find more entertaining when it comes to online reading is expanding the comments on airlines' Facebook posts. Pure comedy gold. Or disappointment in the human race - your pick.
Yes.... if you really are in a mood to "smack" someone, just read those posts.

Delta often makes some "good news" posts. Without fail, it is followed up with replies asking about personal travel concerns, or how bad Delta is and will never fly them again, etc. Some of the responses are just plain STUPID and a real disappointment to the human race.
MikeNYC1, gooselee and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
In particular : "When I change planes here, I never book less than 90-minute transition," she says."

90 minutes? ... rare that we ever have even an hour, and never an issue.
If you have never had an issue then BNA must not be subject to the flow control delays that we are subjected to here in HSV. Our first few morning flights routinely push back and park for at least 15 minutes and 30-40 minutes is not uncommon.

With a short connection given a 40 minute delay and Delta's zeal to close the door at T-10, you can easily end up on the standby list for a later flight....
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Yes.... if you really are in a mood to "smack" someone, just read those posts.

Delta often makes some "good news" posts. Without fail, it is followed up with replies asking about personal travel concerns, or how bad Delta is and will never fly them again, etc. Some of the responses are just plain STUPID and a real disappointment to the human race.
Agree. It's all about mindset when you click that "View all comments" link.

As much as I complain here about the DL Twitter team (and I maintain that their actual knowledge/service levels have gone way downhill in the last 2 years), I must admit that it takes a special level of patience to work for DL (or any airline) social media. I don't know how long I'd be able to run those accounts and not flip a table over on someone.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DiverDave
If you have never had an issue then BNA must not be subject to the flow control delays that we are subjected to here in HSV. Our first few morning flights routinely push back and park for at least 15 minutes and 30-40 minutes is not uncommon.

With a short connection given a 40 minute delay and Delta's zeal to close the door at T-10, you can easily end up on the standby list for a later flight....
BNA to ATL often has flow control delays (my last one was about 30 minutes sitting there) but they have it built into the flight time. How else can we spend so much time parked on the tarmac in Delta jets while Delta remains the most on time airline.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just clicked on the link in OP. Why would ATL connection time matter in an article targeting people visiting ATL for the Super Bowl??

There are so many other problems with this story, too, from "Delta Airlines" to a MARTA fare being "about $5". The whole thing reads like a book report that would have gotten a B- on a curve.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; HH Diamond; Avis Preferred plus
Just call it "one person's opinion of ATL". I fly a similar amount with Delta (probably more segments since I live in a nearby small city so everything goes through ATL). I am a great one to comment on connections (and 90 minutes is ridiculous) but don't have much experience with starting or ending there for obvious reasons. BTW you can walk from terminal T to terminal F (article only references T to E) and that last section is one of the least traveled and often calmest...Only a minor one but another reason to fact check when only using a single source...
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by justpassinthru
Just call it "one person's opinion of ATL". I fly a similar amount with Delta (probably more segments since I live in a nearby small city so everything goes through ATL). I am a great one to comment on connections (and 90 minutes is ridiculous) but don't have much experience with starting or ending there for obvious reasons. BTW you can walk from terminal T to terminal F (article only references T to E) and that last section is one of the least traveled and often calmest...Only a minor one but another reason to fact check when only using a single source...
The E to F walk is pretty relaxing, all in all. Fairly inefficient and clearly designed not to be used ordinarily unless the Plane Train breaks down, but it's pleasant to do. And you get to admire the CRJ (Corn Regional Jet) hanging from the ceiling at the end of the E gates along the way...

As for the article, it's pretty conservative in its advice, but we also know where we're going and don't have mobility impairments. If you pressed me to give a number for connections that anyone from the general public could count on making with a 98% confidence interval at ATL, factoring in confusion, a bio break and possible ground delays, I'd probably toss 90 minutes at you, too. That's not how I plan my own travel, and it's not how I advise my able-bodied friends and colleagues to either - but for a generic "I'm scared of flying to ATL during the Super Bowl" article, it's probably not out to lunch.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond for life, Bonvoy Titanium for Life, Delta Million Miler, Delta Platinum
I often transit ATL. My home airport is in upstate New York. I pretty well agree with everything she offered. Just did a 40 minute connect on Sunday with ease. Having said that I love a 90 minute connect and lunch at One Flew South. I rarely take the train, walking is easy, healthy, interesting and almost as fast.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Another fan of the E to F walk. There are even airport signs for it now unlike in years past where you had to rather intuit its existence. And the fun display of items seized by US Customs is out thataway too.

My tolerance for ATL short connections varies based on time of year and the service recovery options if something goes wrong. Spring and fall and with multiple domestic rebooking options that same day, I'll gladly take a 45 minute connection attempt to save some money. But I have been burned by domestic-international misconnect during summer thunderstorm and ground stop season, and want at least three hours of connection for that part of the trip now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.