Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Skis+Boots Policy?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Delta Skis+Boots Policy?

It's been a while since I've flown DL with skis and boots, but I am looking at a Basic Y fare to SLC, and am wondering what the current policy is on checked skis?

IIRC, skis and boots used to fly for free. What is the deal now? And does it matter whether I fly Basic or pay up to "main cabin"?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by notsosmart
It's been a while since I've flown DL with skis and boots, but I am looking at a Basic Y fare to SLC, and am wondering what the current policy is on checked skis?

IIRC, skis and boots used to fly for free. What is the deal now? And does it matter whether I fly Basic or pay up to "main cabin"?
Neither basic nor main cabin includes a fee bag. But fortunately 1 ski bag and 1 boot bag counts as a single item, so you only have to buy 1 bag. I've never been hassled about exceeding 50 lbs (combined) or putting clothing and other things in both bags, but YMMV.
notsosmart likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Here is the exact wording.

Ski and snowboard equipment are allowed as checked baggage. One ski/pole bag or one snowboard bag and one boot bag is accepted per person. The combined weight of the ski/snowboard bag and the boot bag may not exceed 50 lbs. or excess weight charges will apply. Linear dimensions may exceed 80 inches (203 cm) without excess size charges. All standard baggage charges apply.

As with everything else, exceeding the weight limit or using your ski bag as a clothing suitcase, are a matter of risk tolerance. Worst case, you pay extra.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Thank you both. $60 each way it is.

Last time I flew with skis I was elite, so I didn't care about any of this. And yes, I always stuffed my ski bag with clothing, if for no other reason but to protect the bindings. No one ever said a peep. But that plat luggage tag helped, I presume.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by notsosmart
Thank you both. $60 each way it is.

Last time I flew with skis I was elite, so I didn't care about any of this. And yes, I always stuffed my ski bag with clothing, if for no other reason but to protect the bindings. No one ever said a peep. But that plat luggage tag helped, I presume.
They will count as a single checked bag at the current pricing for a standard checked bag. Should be $30 each way, not $60 each way if you are flying domestic main cabin with no status and no Delta branded Amex credit card. I'm actually flying to SLC tomorrow in main cabin. Can't wait...been a couple years since we've been skiing out there.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:02 am
Suspended

I fly back and forth to SLC on Delta frequently. They often weigh my boot bag, but never the skis, so I try to keep the boot bag under 50 pounds. I also stuff my ski bag with clothing, which always causes TSA to open the ski bag and inspect it. The two bags together count as my one free bag with the Delta Amex credit card.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: Delta, United
FWIW I do not put anything other than skis and poles in my ski bag anymore. That is because the last time through the TSA removed the twist tie securing the zipper, opened the bag, then just closed the zipper sans twist tie. When I got the bag, the zipper was opened by a good 18". Nothing was lost but ... It pissed me off enough that I filed a claim for the missing twist tie. TSA initially denied my claim for completely irrelevant reason, then my Congress critter stepped in and asked them to reconsider. They did and sent me a check for $12 most of which was for shipping.

On side note if you are using a soft sided ski bag the airlines will typically have you sign a release stating that airline will take no responsibility for damage.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
On side note if you are using a soft sided ski bag the airlines will typically have you sign a release stating that airline will take no responsibility for damage.
Interesting - I fly with skis in a soft bag on Alaska fairly often and I've never had this happen. (I'm the lowest MVP, so maybe that has something to do with it, but it seems unlikely.)
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Only twice while flying with DL have I ever had to sign anything for having a soft ski bag.

As for the weight, in my experience they've usually been pretty strict about it. As a DM, i get 70lbs which is pretty hard to exceed, but I get used to just stuffing a lot of items in there (always put clothes, never have issues) and then occasionally forget that on international flights I only get 50lbs... twice I've been caught and told to pay like $100 extra and twice I've talked my way out of it.
WillSkiGT likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Nothing was lost but ... It pissed me off enough that I filed a claim for the missing twist tie. TSA initially denied my claim for completely irrelevant reason, then my Congress critter stepped in and asked them to reconsider. They did and sent me a check for $12 most of which was for shipping.
Please tell me this is a joke.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:40 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by paterwdb
Please tell me this is a joke.
Nope ... I grew tired of the TSA nonsense. And my Congress critter was more than willing to assist a constituent.
Spiff likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:51 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, HH Dia
Originally Posted by danielvdm
Only twice while flying with DL have I ever had to sign anything for having a soft ski bag.

As for the weight, in my experience they've usually been pretty strict about it. As a DM, i get 70lbs which is pretty hard to exceed, but I get used to just stuffing a lot of items in there (always put clothes, never have issues) and then occasionally forget that on international flights I only get 50lbs... twice I've been caught and told to pay like $100 extra and twice I've talked my way out of it.
Had this issue recently as well. Domestically, you still get 70 pounds, but not internationally.

My ski bag is extendable and can hold 2 sets of skis plus poles. If you don't load a 2nd pair of skis, you can also fit the boots in the bag (as well as the rest of your gear and clothing - helmet, goggles, etc). So I pack 95% of my things for a week long ski trip in my ski bag.

Was flying ATL-JFK-ZRH and got to the bag drop at 54 pounds. Agent cheerfully said "$100 please" and I almost had a heart attack. Was able to move some things around in my backpack to get down to 52 pounds, which she was okay with.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 8:57 pm

Programs: Independent
The Delta site contains conflicting information about the weight of the ski bag (emphasis mine):
The combined weight of both items (ski/snowboard bag and the boot bag) may not exceed the standard baggage allowance specific to the cabin or excess weight charges will apply.
and
If the combined weight of ski/snowboard bags and boot bag weighs over 50 lbs, the applicable excess weight fee will be charged
I gather from the most recent posts that the first one is correct? (I.e. in first class you get 70lbs? Also: they need better copy writers!)
DLASflyer likes this.

Last edited by hkcj; Jan 23, 2024 at 7:52 am Reason: noting that the emphasis is mine
Old Jan 23, 2024, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
I just flew LAS - SLC (stop) - JAC (stop) - SLC - LAS. I used a soft sided ski bag with 2 pairs of skis and my clothing. in LAS they checked for the 50lb limit, so then I checked the boot bag separately. Apparently I get 3 bags domestically, no idea why. Luggage arrived later than 20 min in SLC, so I got 2500 miles for the boot bag - that incidentally does not apply to skis or oversized items, so it was a good thing I checked the boot bag separately. On the return from JAC they made me sign a limited release for the soft sided ski bag. When I arrived in LAS the skis took an eternity to arrive but I didn't get the 2500 miles because of oversized item.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by drminn
I just flew LAS - SLC (stop) - JAC (stop) - SLC - LAS. I used a soft sided ski bag with 2 pairs of skis and my clothing. in LAS they checked for the 50lb limit, so then I checked the boot bag separately. Apparently I get 3 bags domestically, no idea why. Luggage arrived later than 20 min in SLC, so I got 2500 miles for the boot bag - that incidentally does not apply to skis or oversized items, so it was a good thing I checked the boot bag separately. On the return from JAC they made me sign a limited release for the soft sided ski bag. When I arrived in LAS the skis took an eternity to arrive but I didn't get the 2500 miles because of oversized item.
I've never had an issue getting 2500 miles for late skis. Don't check "oversize or special item?" in app check in.
skislc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.