Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Locked Out Of Skymiles Account Due To Security Issue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle

Hey everyone,
Need tome advice or info. Last week I had approx 200K of my miles fraudulently used in the Delta marketplace. I caught it, called the market place and reported the issue. This was on Wednesday of last week, Jan 23. The person that i spoke to filled out a form and said it would be reported and the that the miles would be credited back.

Fast forward to yesterday afternoon, Jan 27th. I go to check in for my flight on the app and it says my account is locked due to security issues. I call the Diamond line and am told that, yes, i am locked out due to the fraudulent activity last week and that I had to fill out an on lone form, send in my drivers license, etc to get it unlocked. I was then told it could take UP TO A WEEK to unlock it.

I appreciate them watching out for my account etc, but a week sounds way too long. I have no access to the app to check in, get notifications and updates, etc and have to back door it using my locator number. Has anyone else has this issue?

Does it really take that long? I would have assumed that if i could have answered any questions they had on the phone that they could unlocked me right then,

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Were you unable to answer some questions they asked you? Or did the first person just take your report but fail to either go to the questions or to inform you of the need to fill out the form and send an image not your driver's license?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
It makes no sense to me that they do not give you access right within a day once you send proper documents and maybe answer some questions that a hacker could not answer. Reset password and move along.

No reason for this to take a week.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
Hey everyone,
Need tome advice or info. Last week I had approx 200K of my miles fraudulently used in the Delta marketplace. I caught it, called the market place and reported the issue. This was on Wednesday of last week, Jan 23. The person that i spoke to filled out a form and said it would be reported and the that the miles would be credited back.

Fast forward to yesterday afternoon, Jan 27th. I go to check in for my flight on the app and it says my account is locked due to security issues. I call the Diamond line and am told that, yes, i am locked out due to the fraudulent activity last week and that I had to fill out an on lone form, send in my drivers license, etc to get it unlocked. I was then told it could take UP TO A WEEK to unlock it.

I appreciate them watching out for my account etc, but a week sounds way too long. I have no access to the app to check in, get notifications and updates, etc and have to back door it using my locator number. Has anyone else has this issue?

Does it really take that long? I would have assumed that if i could have answered any questions they had on the phone that they could unlocked me right then,

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
I'm sorry that this happened to you. I had the same thing a few months ago:

"Your account has been suspended due to a security risk" frustration

As for how long it takes, stay on them. If you don't, you'll get pushed to the back. The Diamond desk operates independently of security, the latter of whom does not care about your status.

Mike
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Were you unable to answer some questions they asked you? Or did the first person just take your report but fail to either go to the questions or to inform you of the need to fill out the form and send an image not your driver's license?
The Diamond agent on the phone with me actually walked me through the form on line as i filled it out, scanned in my license and submitted the form.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeef
I'm sorry that this happened to you. I had the same thing a few months ago:

"Your account has been suspended due to a security risk" frustration

As for how long it takes, stay on them. If you don't, you'll get pushed to the back. The Diamond desk operates independently of security, the latter of whom does not care about your status.

Mike
Thanks so much. I went back and read your thread and am a little concerned this will be WAY more complicated and extended than i expected. I will call the diamond desk daily.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

on day #6 of being locked out. Have called the diamond desk and the skymall daily. Have names of everyone i have talked to, but no resolution. I just keep getting told that it is being worked on.
It may seem like a minor issue, but my frustration level is REALLY growing.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As others have noted, the "Diamond Desk" is customer service. Corporate Security does not report to customer service and that is intentional. The latter could care less about your status and won't be moved by repeated calls to someone who they know they can and ought to ignore.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
As others have noted, the "Diamond Desk" is customer service. Corporate Security does not report to customer service and that is intentional. The latter could care less about your status and won't be moved by repeated calls to someone who they know they can and ought to ignore.
Totally understand. However, I am open to any and all suggestions. The diamond line tells me to call the skymall number since that is where the breach occurred. They tell me to call the general skymiles number which is useless. Have talked to two diamond supervisors in Cincinnati who have been unable to put me in touch with anyone who can help. I know they cant do it, but it would seem to be as easy as giving me a contact in their security department that i can call. I just need it resolved asap. I have heard of credit card and identity breaches corrected faster than this.

Just no clue where to turn.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
They probably get a lot of these issues and you'll find there's a smallish department that deals with this stuff. Before unlocking, aside from verifying your information and documents, which is relatively straight forward, there is a good chance they are also investigating how and when the fraudulent usage occurred, including IP addresses and their locations, type of usage (in line with your legitimate type of usage or different, i.e. could it have been you but you claimed fraud because you changed your mind or something), this info probably involves other departments, including IT, which needs to pull logs, so I think 7-14 days is probably a realistic timeframe, if they're not super backlogged.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
They probably get a lot of these issues and you'll find there's a smallish department that deals with this stuff. Before unlocking, aside from verifying your information and documents, which is relatively straight forward, there is a good chance they are also investigating how and when the fraudulent usage occurred, including IP addresses and their locations, type of usage (in line with your legitimate type of usage or different, i.e. could it have been you but you claimed fraud because you changed your mind or something), this info probably involves other departments, including IT, which needs to pull logs, so I think 7-14 days is probably a realistic timeframe, if they're not super backlogged.
Makes sense, but couldn't those two phases happen simultaneously and independently of each other? I have proved i am who ii say i am, so unlock my account and give me access. I'll change passwords, emails, or whatever they need. And then investigate who did this. Trust me: i want them dealt with too. However, i should not be punished on my end. The "bad guy" listed a different address, email and phone number. Im sure all of those are fake(except the address because the product they ordered had to be delivered somewhere). Just seems like other cases of fraud i have heard of outside of delta are dealt with much more swiftly.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:07 am

Please keep the thread updated. I’m interested to see how long this takes to resolve.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Makes sense, but couldn't those two phases happen simultaneously and independently of each other? I have proved i am who ii say i am, so unlock my account and give me access. I'll change passwords, emails, or whatever they need. And then investigate who did this. Trust me: i want them dealt with too. However, i should not be punished on my end. The "bad guy" listed a different address, email and phone number. Im sure all of those are fake(except the address because the product they ordered had to be delivered somewhere). Just seems like other cases of fraud i have heard of outside of delta are dealt with much more swiftly.
Well I think you missed one of the points I made is that they also need to confirm you weren't the one placed the order and lied about it being fraud
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Well I think you missed one of the points I made is that they also need to confirm you weren't the one placed the order and lied about it being fraud
No i see that. But again, they could investigate at the same time while giving me access. That's that part i am missing.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
No i see that. But again, they could investigate at the same time while giving me access. That's that part i am missing.
I agree with you. Give YOU access back, even if possible you were playing games. At this point, you are on the bad end of the deal and need to continue flying and using your account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.