Which row to book in DL First

Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
Which row to book in DL First

Hi all, although I've been a few times in my life upgraded to DL First Class, I've never actually had an option of choosing my seat. I managed to get a Flying Blue mileage redemption on DL's SFO-SEA-ANC (and back) in May for Ms ok986 and myself, and was wondering which row should we select. The SFO-SEA (and SEA-SFO) is operated by E175; SEA-ANC (and back) are operated by B737-800. At the moment, almost all the seats on all four flights are open, and we're booked in 1CD for SFO-SEA-ANC, 1AB on ANC-SEA, and 1CD on SEA-SFO. Is here any particular reason to switch to another row, and if so, which row should we pick instead? Thanks for your advice in advance!
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
While I am happy go be upgraded to any seat in F, Row 1 tends to be my least favorite because of the bulkhead. With the other rows you have the seat in front of you for even more foot room (or to place a small bag or something under if you wish). The larger pouch attached to the seat in front of me I also find useful compared to bulkhead pouches. Also, I find the IFE monitors are not as convenient in Row 1.
Crazy Dave and jinglish like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by ok986
Hi all, although I've been a few times in my life upgraded to DL First Class, I've never actually had an option of choosing my seat. I managed to get a Flying Blue mileage redemption on DL's SFO-SEA-ANC (and back) in May for Ms ok986 and myself, and was wondering which row should we select. The SFO-SEA (and SEA-SFO) is operated by E175; SEA-ANC (and back) are operated by B737-800. At the moment, almost all the seats on all four flights are open, and we're booked in 1CD for SFO-SEA-ANC, 1AB on ANC-SEA, and 1CD on SEA-SFO. Is here any particular reason to switch to another row, and if so, which row should we pick instead? Thanks for your advice in advance!
On the E175s it really doesn't make much difference, although many people (myself included) avoid row #1 due to limited legroom and no space to store your personal item. If you stick with row #1 , it would be a good idea to try to board as early as possible to ensure access to overhead bins for your stuff.

On the 738s, the same caution with regard to Row 1, but otherwise the seats are the same. If you care about meal choice, the flight attendants are *supposed* to use a system known as "FEBO" - taking orders from
"F"ront to back on
"E"ven numbered flights, and from
"B"ack to front on
"O"dd numbered flights

in other words, on flight 212 they should start at row 1, while on flight 121 they would start at row 4 on your 737-800. That said, I have only seen them follow the rule about 40% of the time, so I usually just pick something in the middle and hope for the best.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:07 pm

According to seat maps. Anything except row 1 unless you don't mind the Lavatory/Galley proximity.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/De..._737-800_A.php

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/De...er_ERJ-175.php
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
(...) If you care about meal choice (...)
Ah, meals! I completely forgot about those, since I usually get upgraded on the "basket" flights. For our SEA-ANC, we're probably getting a breakfast, right? the flight departs at 9:45 am. I presume that on the way back, with a 1pm departure, there would be a lunch served? And SFO-SEA & SEA-SFO would be a basket, am I correct?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:17 pm

Ah, meals! I completely forgot about those, since I usually get upgraded on the "basket" flights. For our SEA-ANC, we're probably getting a breakfast, right? the flight departs at 9:45 am. I presume that on the way back, with a 1pm departure, there would be a lunch served? And SFO-SEA & SEA-SFO would be a basket, am I correct?
Probably correct in general, but to be certain you will want to look at your flight info in the app or on the website. That will tell you if it is breakfast/lunch/snack/dinner for each individual flight, provided that you have already been upgraded. What are the flight numbers and dates?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Probably correct in general, but to be certain you will want to look at your flight info in the app or on the website. That will tell you if it is breakfast/lunch/snack/dinner for each individual flight, provided that you have already been upgraded. What are the flight numbers and dates?
not upgraded, booked a first-class ticket using miles. Delta app is actually pretty informative! "Snacks, drinks" refers to the basket, right? Thanks again, I moved our seats to 2nd row on all flights now
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I personally hate bulkheads in first especially if they have the TV in the arm rest which I don't think any do anymore.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Row 1 on the 738 is pretty crappy.

Flew it a couple months back on LAX - RDU after getting off SYD - LAX in the 77L exit row and actually wished I was back in my 77L seat (I'm 5' 11'' 165).

Same with the E175.

I also dislike bulkheads since you can't put a bag in front of you which can be annoying if you have a laptop
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:48 pm

1 row is by far the best.
You’re first off.
You’ve got the guarantee of no obnoxious pax reclining into you on a domestic flight on a regional jet.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
1 row is by far the best.
You’re first off.
You’ve got the guarantee of no obnoxious pax reclining into you on a domestic flight on a regional jet.
This is highly subjective and varies by plane and - most likely - passenger height.

I refuse to sit in Row 1 of a 739 (except B due to the foot cutout). If I get upgraded to these seats I try to find someone in C+ who is willing to swap with me.

This is not to say that others may find Row 1 enjoyable, and I do agree that Delta's tight F pitch is not good, but to say Row 1 is "hands down the best" is a pretty outrageous claim.
Duke787, ijgordon and jordyn like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:45 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Never row 1 for me - other than that it depends on if a meal is being served. If so, I go by FEBO.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
I have flown a lot of E175 and 737-800's on the SAN-SEA route. I agree with all of the above replies.

As far as row 1 on an E175, I have a picture of a tall man leaning back in seat 1A with his shoes planted high on the bulkhead wall and blanket spread out over his head. 7:20am flight departing SAN. Nothing says, "Don't bother me!" like that!

Bulkhead (row 1) or no bulkhead is a personal preference, and the other replies dealt with the pro's and con's.
I pick the closest row to the front, other than row 1, so that I can exit the plane 5 seconds faster than the next row. In other word, rows 2 to 4 on both plane types are the same.

Going to SEA, I like to pick the right side of the plane (window seat) so I can see the mountains in Washington. Left side for the return to SAN. Again, a personal preference.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:58 pm

not upgraded, booked a first-class ticket using miles. Delta app is actually pretty informative! "Snacks, drinks" refers to the basket, right? Thanks again, I moved our seats to 2nd row on all flights now
Yep, snacks is the basket. Usually 2 passes between SAN and SEA if I remember correctly, and probably 2 on the SEA-ANC leg - before and after meal.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
I forgot to weigh in on the FEBO issue. I don't care. it is usually a choice between "Blah meal #1 " or "Blah meal #2 " anyway.

The exception are certain dinner-time first class flights departing SEA. Delta sometimes offers a choice called "sausage". OMG, I thought I died and went to heaven. A domestic first class meat to rival an international biz-class meal!. I understand it is made by a local Seattle German restaurant. Sorry to spill the beans.

Last edited by Bowgie; Jan 27, 2019 at 9:00 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.