Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Weather Waiver for Jan 27th - when will they issue?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weather Waiver for Jan 27th - when will they issue?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly

I have no status so I assume there will be a hefty charge. If I wanted to do it, how do I go about it?
I'd say call DL, but without status and with a winter storm, there could be a long wait, so I believe you'd be better trying to do it through the app. IIRC the fee is $75 without status (cheaper that a hotel room near ATL). There are threads here about the precise (and complicated rules), but assuming that you have a coach ticket NOT IN BASIC ECONOMY, starting 24 hours before your scheduled departure you can SDC into any available seat that DL is selling in the same fare class for the same day as you were originally scheduled to travel, officially assuming that the new routing is legal according to your fare rules (but many agents don't bother checking this if it looks reasonable). In this case, you're confirmed on the flight(s), not standby. If at first you can't SDC, it can be worthwhile checking back later. Better yet, an EF subscription is very useful, although you can get some idea of availability on delta.dumb. The problem, however, is that you need to see fare class inventory and DL could make for example a T seat available (for the day of travel or even a few hours before departure) even if all fares require 14-21 day advanced purchase, so that DL won't sell such tickets and you won't see the inventory if you try to do a dummy booking.

For standby (SDS), you literally wait at the gate and hope to get on, so it's better if you can avoid checking a bag. Elites have somewhat different rules for this, so I can't tell you all the details. Of course, your credit card is only charged if you actually get a seat on the flight.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
that is surely one that will likely get canceled and then I will be stuck at ATL.
I really think you are over stating the chances of a cancellation. It is MUCH easier for an airline that doesn't operate a hub to fly to the hub that is affected. They just don't have the mass operation problems than the home airlines do. Either of us could be wrong but I think it is "likely" that the flight will operate as scheduled and obviously Delta agrees at this time.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
I'm flying from AMS to MSP tomorrow (operated by KLM, sold by DL) and I just had a call with DL to double check. No advisory in place, it might change later, but the flight as of now is programmed.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are you scheduled to take any other DL/KLM flights tomorrow?

Have you tried to check flight status on the DL and KLM websites? Can you tell whether the flight is overbooked/oversold?

If you don't hear that the flight has been delayed or cancelled, do OLCI to make sure that your ticket is OK. Your DL PNR and "time to check in" email will probably send you to the KLM website to do this. I'd also try to get to the airport early in case there are problems.

ADDED: As of now, the DL app is showing all three AMS-MSP nonstops for tomorrow (Sunday January 27th) operating on time, DL at 10:40 am and 12:50 pm, then your KLM flight at 5:00 pm. There's a DL flight to DTW at 3:20, also on time, but the KLM nonstop to ATL at 4:50 pm is CANCELLED.

Based on this, my best guess is that DL/KLM are trying to move passengers around to other flights that are operating tomorrow, so they might want to pay you to take an earlier flight or connection to MSP.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jan 26, 2019 at 3:01 pm
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:57 pm

Its MAD-AMS-MSP, all KLM, DL sold. Both airlines say the flight is on schedule and I checked in in the morning (it wasn't overbooked then). The thing is I do have to be in MSP Sunday, because I'm leaving Wed morning for LIM, and I have some meetings at the U. The earlier flights that put me in MSP before the storm would be either the 2 DL AMS flights or the CDG that arrives at 12.50, but I'd need to be in the airport at 6.40, and without a weather advisory I'm not doing that...
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:28 pm

If you've successfully done OLCI and were able to get boarding passes with seat assignments, you should be good to go.

My guess is that DL/KLM may be trying to "firm" flights tomorrow, meaning they verify whether ticketed customers intend to fly, so that they can find TATL seats from AMS for passengers displaced from the cancelled late ATL nonstop.

The weather here is expected to snow Sunday/Monday and then get extremely cold, with the worst day being Wednesday. MSP is good at keeping the airport operational regardless of the weather, but traffic on the roadways is likely to be horrendous (even though people who can will try to work from home and IMO there's a chance that the university will officially close for part of this period) so be sure to allow extra time (and more money) for taxi/uber rides. The light rail connecting the airport with downtown/campus should also operate, but you don't want to be waiting outside for public transportation in this weather. In fact, the cold is extremely dangerous, with a risk of frostbite after only a few minutes. You need serious winter clothing for this, including a hat and gloves as well as a heavy coat and appropriate footwear. It's not like the weather in Spain.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jan 26, 2019 at 3:41 pm Reason: Restore auto save reverted to previous post
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Looks like they just issued a weather waiver but Chicago is not included at this time. I have a strong feeling I’ll be spending the night in Atlanta tomorrow night. Ugh
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:52 pm

Scrap that, after the advisory came I called again and got rerouted via CDG, and will be arriving before the snow starts.

Thanks for the advice, but this is not my first MInneapolis winter (remember kids: dress in layers!). I just got tired of it and moved to Spain because I couldn't take the snow, cold and their effect in people....

And also: OMG! What is that white thing falling from the sky? .... in January, ..... in Minneapolis!

Last edited by MfromL; Jan 26, 2019 at 4:07 pm
Old Jan 26, 2019, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by MfromL
Scrap that, after the advisory came I called again and got rerouted via CDG, and will be arriving before the snow starts.

Thanks for the advice, but this is not my first MInneapolis winter (remember kids: dress in layers!). I just got tired of it and moved to Spain because I couldn't take the snow, cold and their effect in people....

And also: OMG! What is that white thing falling from the sky? .... in January, ..... in Minneapolis!
Very good. You were obviously watching the situation and moved very quickly to get yourself rebooked. Enjoy the blizzard.

It's our first real snowstorm of the season and you know what that means.....
Old Jan 26, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
As of 1700 Central time, weather service says 6-8 inches. No mention of wind speed.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL DM
Looking at the waiver, they have Milwaukee (MKE) listed as "Milwaukee, MN." Last I checked it was in WI.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Looking at the waiver, they have Milwaukee (MKE) listed as "Milwaukee, MN." Last I checked it was in WI.
We've been trying to annex the whole state for years. The only thing that matters is that pilots can find MKE (if you want/need to go there).

BTW, for wind speed, you can look at the wind chill numbers and work back.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 4:30 pm

Let me guess: buses running 2 to 3 hours late, Green and Blue Lines will shut down at some point. Crashes, cars stuck in the highway, but the red Target logo shining high and bright in Nicollet Mall
Old Jan 26, 2019, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by MfromL
Let me guess: buses running 2 to 3 hours late, Green and Blue Lines will shut down at some point. Crashes, cars stuck in the highway, but the red Target logo shining high and bright in Nicollet Mall
Something like that: 500 metro area crashes during morning rush hour, most people several hours late to work, local schools all starting two hours late with no kindergarten and rural school districts closed completely, downtown looking pretty deserted except for high school age girls in flip flops or very high heels and guys wearing shorts under their Arctic ski parkas. However, the light rail system claims that it works in bad weather. We'll see.

I've been told that there's now an app that enables you to see how late the bus will be.

Old Jan 26, 2019, 4:39 pm

Oh yes! I forgot. Frat kids walking in University Ave with flip-flops to show they are true Minnesotans...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.