Wiki Posts
Search

Was anyone on DL1455 SFO -> SEA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:58 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Zorak
As noted above, OP was talking about SFO-SEA, but since you mentioned it we made such a right-hand-turn approach on DL5738 SEA-SFO on Monday, which I did take note of at the time for being unusual

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...202Z/KSEA/KSFO

Since you've brought up the SEA-SFO flight, I think that the right-hand approach over the Bay and the San Mateo Bridge is one of the normal approaches for flights from the north.

(The SFO website has a couple diagrams of the 2 setups for Bay Area arrival/departure routes which are really cool to look at!)
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
I don't want to completely discount your concern, but it is possible this was a "normal" routing maneuver the pilot did. Looking at flightaware (https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flig...404Z/KSFO/KSEA), while passing through 3,000ft, the aircraft made a pretty tight right turn. I can only imagine the bank angle needed to turn a plane 90 degrees in 30 seconds.

I have had some approaches into airport where pilots make tight turns, and inevitably people gasp, but it looks like your pilot may have been more "deliberate" with their actions
Actually 90 degrees in 30 seconds is the exact definition of a "standard rate" turn, this is the turn speed expected of all aircraft operating in Instrument Flight Rules (more properly defined as 360 degrees in 2 minutes). An aproximation some pilots might use is 10% of airspeed + 5, so at an airspeed of 220 knots (typically found in the earlier stages of an instrument approach, down to around 170 on the final stages, before final approach speed) that would be 22+5 = 27 degrees of bank. This is a high but not unusual angle of bank for a commercial aircraft. Nearer final approach at say 170 knots it would be 22 degrees of bank which is noticable but less significant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_rate_turn
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:18 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Oops. A right turn on approach from SFO to SEA is the normal pattern. Making that final turn just south of Discovery Park is a normal occurrence. There is nothing remarkable about this flight at all.
Originally Posted by ryw
Since you've brought up the SEA-SFO flight, I think that the right-hand approach over the Bay and the San Mateo Bridge is one of the normal approaches for flights from the north.

(The SFO website has a couple diagrams of the 2 setups for Bay Area arrival/departure routes which are really cool to look at!)
Hmm, I've done that route a bunch of times and while I haven't kept track I feel like we usually go down the peninsula and turn left. But I do see the right turn approach on the graphic
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ryw

I have these on paper in my disclosures section for my home. I live a several blocks from being below the typical landing pattern for SJC, so aircraft noise must be disclosed to a potential home buyer. They say that the plan you show is applicable 85% of the time and the reverse about 15% of the time.

When I do fly into SFO from the north, it's seems always to be a 180 degree left hand turn before lining up with the runway.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There are some airports that are fun this way: SAN and the old Hong Kong airport come to mind.
BTM is another good one. Have to corkscrew down in to the valley. Did that one a lot on Alaska on Q400 on the Seattle-Bozeman-Butte circuit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.