Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Was anyone on DL1455 SFO -> SEA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Was anyone on DL1455 SFO -> SEA?

The plane banked hard right suddenly for a few seconds while we were descending at about 3000ft, then quickly corrected and leveled out again. A lot of people in the cabin gasped.

Does anyone either know what happened or might be able to provide a reasonably educated guess as to why this might happen? It was a bit jarring for me.

Last edited by thenoviceflyer; Jan 26, 2019 at 12:47 am
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by thenoviceflyer
The plane banked hard right suddenly for a few seconds while we were descending at about 3000ft, then quickly corrected and leveled out again. A lot of people in the cabin gasped.

Does anyone either know what happened or might be able to provide a reasonably educated guess as to why this might happen? It was a bit jarring for me.
Today? Yesterday? A year ago?

Welcome to FT!
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zrs70

Today? Yesterday? A year ago?

Welcome to FT!
Hey thanks! Today, about an hour ago.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Turbulence from another plane in front? Happens quite frequently.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by thenoviceflyer

At 3,000 ft, most likely you flew through the wake vortex from a heavier plane in front of you. Or, possibly, mountain wake turbulence, as you fly over a large mountain range.

Either one is totally routine and nothing to sweat. Have fun and enjoy the ride!
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
I don't want to completely discount your concern, but it is possible this was a "normal" routing maneuver the pilot did. Looking at flightaware (https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flig...404Z/KSFO/KSEA), while passing through 3,000ft, the aircraft made a pretty tight right turn. I can only imagine the bank angle needed to turn a plane 90 degrees in 30 seconds.

I have had some approaches into airport where pilots make tight turns, and inevitably people gasp, but it looks like your pilot may have been more "deliberate" with their actions
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerWx
I don't want to completely discount your concern, but it is possible this was a "normal" routing maneuver the pilot did. Looking at flightaware (https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flig...404Z/KSFO/KSEA), while passing through 3,000ft, the aircraft made a pretty tight right turn. I can only imagine the bank angle needed to turn a plane 90 degrees in 30 seconds.

I have had some approaches into airport where pilots make tight turns, and inevitably people gasp, but it looks like your pilot may have been more "deliberate" with their actions
We have a winner - here's the UA flight from SFO a little earlier. Same u-turn. Maybe a little more or less tight depending on the crew.

https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flig...350Z/KSFO/KSEA

LGA arrivals get the kamikaze approach that involves hairpin turns at even lower altitude.

And on windy days EWR uses an extra short runway for arrivals (29) that involves some steep banks and an off angle approach that puts you a little too close to cranes at the port and traffic on the highway. That one's an amusement park ride on a widebody like I had earlier this week.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

There are some airports that are fun this way: SAN and the old Hong Kong airport come to mind.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I'm surprise they came in over the Bay and had you make a 180 degree turn to the right when coming in from the north. Usually, it's a left turn before you get into the final approach to SFO when coming from the north on a normal traffic flow day.

Did your flight land on 28R?

On that approach, you have to go between SFO and OAK before turning back to land at SFO, so there isn't a lot of space for turning and you can't go much further down the bay because you'll be into SJC's takeoff pattern.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I'm surprise they came in over the Bay and had you make a 180 degree turn to the right when coming in from the north. Usually, it's a left turn before you get into the final approach to SFO when coming from the north on a normal traffic flow day.

On that approach, you have to go between SFO and OAK before turning back to land at SFO, so there isn't a lot of space for turning and you can't go much further down the bay because you'll be into SJC's takeoff pattern.
This post is for the reverse route (SFO->SEA).
Old Jan 26, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PG

This was a vector (turn) instruction issued by air traffic control, most likely on a visual approach since the turn was abeam downtown. If the turn took 30 seconds (I can’t tell from the track log on my phone), then this was almost exactly a “standard rate turn,” which as the name implies, is a normal aircraft maneuver without excessive bank angle or G-loading. Being low, slow and near downtown it certainly could have seemed/looked otherwise, but is nothing to be concerned about. The relatively short approach (as opposed to vector from downwind to base outside of 10 miles to eventually line up for final approach) was most likely an opportunity the controller saw to let you “cut in line” a bit based on the locations of the aircraft ahead of and behind you.

(And in case you’re wondering, yes, I used to be an air traffic controller)
BenA, HWGeeks, jinglish and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by wxman13

(And in case you’re wondering, yes, I used to be an air traffic controller)
And I staid in a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Actually thanks for the info, I always am curious if I am about to die when I sense tight turns and whatnot while on approach to JFK doesn't happen much but sometimes at JFK they do like a U turn and we land sometimes it feels tight but maybe it's my imagination.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:44 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR

As noted above, OP was talking about SFO-SEA, but since you mentioned it we made such a right-hand-turn approach on DL5738 SEA-SFO on Monday, which I did take note of at the time for being unusual

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...202Z/KSEA/KSFO

Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: DL DM Hilton Diamond WN A List
Wake turbulence from flight in front
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Zorak
As noted above, OP was talking about SFO-SEA, but since you mentioned it we made such a right-hand-turn approach on DL5738 SEA-SFO on Monday, which I did take note of at the time for being unusual

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...202Z/KSEA/KSFO

Oops. A right turn on approach from SFO to SEA is the normal pattern. Making that final turn just south of Discovery Park is a normal occurrence. There is nothing remarkable about this flight at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.