Wiki Posts
Search

Penalty For Using Wrong Lav

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by User Name

On BA you are usually asked to stay downstairs. Not sure about Virgin Australia.
I would imagine Virgin Australia would have the men in white coats meeting the flight if a passenger asked to go on the upper-deck of the plane.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: DL DM
It doesn't advertise a lower passenger to FA ratio either, but we expect that too, don't we?
Or should the FAs working up front go help serve in the rear instead because there are more people waiting for their Diet Cokes.

Last year my elderly mother had some health issues, (of which I will spare the fine people of FT the details) but her primary interest was having easy access to the Lavs, so I bought her a D1 seat for her 8 hr flight at considerable expense.

Should she be ok with waiting for a line of Y pax who decided that despite the airline stating rules that they were going to ignore them and go where they wanted? Should she have to explain that to someone?

We can all come up with hypotheticals that will be exceptions to the rules, or justify some sort of behavior, but the rules/policies are there and people expect them to be followed in general.
Then when extenuating circumstances come up they can be reasonably flexed.

I fly 80-90% coach and have despite being super-duper important and frequent-flyer-y, I use the lavs in my cabin without giving it much thought at all.

So far the best idea I've heard here is that people who feel they need to go up front for whatever reason can wait behind the curtain and when the lav is free, walk on up.One at a time.
Anything else in an inconvenience (ranging from barely noticeable to extremely uncomfortable) for people that did whatever they did to sit in a more expensive cabin.

I'd have no problem respecting that rule too. (Although practically, I don't really think there's a good way to make it happen)

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

When I buy a F ticket, I see advertised perks such as SkyPriorty, Free Bags, a bigger, free drinks and sometimes even meals, and even getting on and off the plane first, but where in the advertised perks on the website is “Lower Passenger to Lav Ratio”?
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Well, we should stop beating around the bush and address the REAL issue: We all know that F pax s**t doesn’t stink, and we should not be forced to endure the unrelenting barrage of offensive effluvia that would result should Y pax be permited to use our lavatories.

DiverDave and Silver Fox like this.

Last edited by TheHorta; Jan 29, 2019 at 10:04 am
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:04 am

Remy, I like to sit on the aisle so I can get to the lav easier. I don't go often but when I do, I usually need to go right away. I always try to use the lavs in my cabin.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by remyontheroad
It doesn't advertise a lower passenger to FA ratio either, but we expect that too, don't we?

Or should the FAs working up front go help serve in the rear instead because there are more people waiting for their Diet Cokes.
I’ve been on flights where the FA working the F cabin has gone back to assist the FAs in Y so that argument defeats your point, not helps it. But food and drink service (which one can bring on the plane is a bit different than taking a leak. Sorry not sorry that people having to do one of the most basic human functions annoys you so much.

Last year my elderly mother had some health issues, (of which I will spare the fine people of FT the details) but her primary interest was having easy access to the Lavs, so I bought her a D1 seat for her 8 hr flight at considerable expense.

Should she be ok with waiting for a line of Y pax who decided that despite the airline stating rules that they were going to ignore them and go where they wanted? Should she have to explain that to someone?
You explained it for her on here. The explanation is your mom is lucky enough to have an offspring who is to able to shell out several thousand dollars for a ticket in D1. Most people traveling aren’t. Those people still have to go to the bathroom and on an airplane have very limited options. And no, despite the snarky response of so many on FT the answer to that is not “well just don’t travel then”. And someone who can’t afford F or D1 shouldn’t have to explain to you what their issues are either just because they don’t have a kid who can shell out several thousand for a seat in the pointy end.

We can all come up with hypotheticals that will be exceptions to the rules, or justify some sort of behavior, but the rules/policies are there and people expect them to be followed in general.

Then when extenuating circumstances come up they can be reasonably flexed.
No - people expect rules and policies to be followed when those rules and policies benefit them and don’t want rules flexed for others when that would be a negative yet they’re perfectly happy to have rules bent for themselves even if it comes at someone else’s expense. This a forum filled with people who frequently get rules and policies bent for them all the time.

Also, my view is if the airlines really view this “policy/rule breaking” as a problem, they can install more lavs or space them out better, especially on single aisle aircraft where carts can block the aisle for 20-30 min or more.

My view is we all go to the bathroom and we’re all stuck in the metal tube with the lavs on the jet being the only options. This is not the same as food on the plane or anything else where one can more easily prep ahead of time. People can bring their own food and they can bring their own drinks to sustains themselves. They don’t “need” service from the FA during the flight except in literally a life or death situation could go a few more minutes without getting service. But when they have to go, they have to go and them having to wait a long time for a lav in “their” cabin when there’s an open one elsewhere may result in an embarrassing and awful situation for themselves and their fellow passengers. Everybody poops” (and pees) and some have issues holding it, and no, I don’t view your need to relieve yourself as any more or less important than mine, regardless of what cabin you or I are in, especially in domestic F where the lavs are all the same.

I also prefer to minimize the amount of time I am out of my seat unbuckled (an announcement made by the crew on every flight) and so by going to a lav with a shorter line and possibly closer too, I’m reducing my risk of being up in the aisle or standing in the lav should we hit turbulence unexpectedly.

But knowing it makes some folks on here have a mini-stroke over it, it actually makes going up front to take a leak more enticing. ^

So far the best idea I've heard here is that people who feel they need to go up front for whatever reason can wait behind the curtain and when the lav is free, walk on up. One at a time.
And I think that is perfectly reasonable. You’re paying for a quieter cabin which it’s reasonable to expect that. This allows others to use a limited resource while preserving a primary benefit you’re paying for.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:40 am

I pay for J 90% of the time(I dont pay for it if I am flying 2 hours on a CRJ and it is $650 compared to $200). The issue I have with Y passengers using the J bathrooms is:
-Lining up for the bathroom
-Making the bathroom messier from more people being in there than would have been
-Finally, part of the reason I enjoy sitting up front is I dont have a constant flow of people walking by my seat grabbing it as they walk or hitting me with their larger than average body parts.
I am fine if you really need to go and that is the most logical place to go, but people usually can wait 2 minutes longer or are just lazy. It may be elitist, but who cares? I spend my money on travel and you spend your money on knick knacks, eating out 3 meals a day, cars you cant afford, Christmas toys that your kids dont play with past New Years, lottery tickets, pay day loans and who knows what else. And yes, I am the one up front with a child with a paid seat as well, so keep giving a child dirty looks as you walk by and think to yourself that you should be sitting there and not a child.
canadiantransplant likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
My view is we all go to the bathroom and we’re all stuck in the metal tube with the lavs on the jet being the only options. .... But when they have to go, they have to go and them having to wait a long time for a lav in “their” cabin when there’s an open one elsewhere may result in an embarrassing and awful situation for themselves and their fellow passengers. Everybody poops” (and pees) and some have issues holding it, and no, I don’t view your need to relieve yourself as any more or less important than mine, regardless of what cabin you or I are in, especially in domestic F where the lavs are all the same.
You present a little bit of a straw man argument here. The notion that most of these cases are due to someone in some sort of emergency situation where they cannot hold it is false and nobody is claiming that exceptions in these rare cases should not be allowed. However most people can hold it and can wait their turn in line. Stadiums heck even the restrooms at ATL commonly have lines and people wait. Are you suggesting when there is a line at the public restrooms at ATL, I can proceed into the Skyclub without paying and use theirs, or employee restrooms? At the sports stadium when there is a huge restroom lineup I can just march into the private boxes and use theirs? Of course not.

Furthermore in your argument what if 6 people are waiting for Y lav, 0 for first lav. If a free for all, now 3 waiting at each. Your hypothetical person that just cannot wait still waits. Don't tell me they can just wait less, because your whole argument is they just cannot wait at all or they risk relieving themselves in public.

So if they really have an issue, and we have all been there, you plead with those already in line to jump the line. It isn't glamorous but what are you expecting since we are all stuck in the metal tube. Even if all cabins access all lavs this still could happen, part of being human. No amount of rule avoidance will prevent this. Otherwise just wait in line like everyone else.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by sevastras
I pay for J 90% of the time(I dont pay for it if I am flying 2 hours on a CRJ and it is $650 compared to $200). The issue I have with Y passengers using the J bathrooms is:
-Lining up for the bathroom
-Making the bathroom messier from more people being in there than would have been
-Finally, part of the reason I enjoy sitting up front is I dont have a constant flow of people walking by my seat grabbing it as they walk or hitting me with their larger than average body parts.
I am fine if you really need to go and that is the most logical place to go, but people usually can wait 2 minutes longer or are just lazy. It may be elitist, but who cares? I spend my money on travel and you spend your money on knick knacks, eating out 3 meals a day, cars you cant afford, Christmas toys that your kids dont play with past New Years, lottery tickets, pay day loans and who knows what else. And yes, I am the one up front with a child with a paid seat as well, so keep giving a child dirty looks as you walk by and think to yourself that you should be sitting there and not a child.
And.........breathe out......................
LegalTender and DiverDave like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Cool

I spend my money on travel and you spend your money on knick knacks, eating out 3 meals a day, cars you cant afford, Christmas toys that your kids dont play with past New Years, lottery tickets, pay day loans and who knows what else. And yes, I am the one up front with a child with a paid seat as well, so keep giving a child dirty looks as you walk by and think to yourself that you should be sitting there and not a child.
I think they should have a separate boarding for paid F/J and then upgraded F/J boards last to knock down their egos a bit. Some of the worst behaved in F are there because of an upgrade.
No time for the masses.

I am a bit less disdainful of people using a lav 31 yards closer to their seat. The 739 is the largest capacity aircraft in DL's fleet that does not have a mid-cabin lavatory.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender
I am a bit less disdainful of people using a lav 31 yards closer to their seat. The 739 is the largest capacity aircraft in DL's fleet that does not have a mid-cabin lavatory.
All the who should use what aside, on a long flight I prefer a long walk to the lav.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
This is the reason I fly D1 as a last resort. The carriers with three/four cabin first class will have the Y lav overflow into biz and F retains its 1:4 or 1:3 ratio.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Hilton Life Diamond, Hertz Presidents, former US former Charimans
I understand the rules and it makes sense during normal flights. However, surely there must be some change when there is one out of service somewhere? Nobody can expect 112 people to share 1 lav? Is there a minimum ratio required by the FAA?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by defrosted
You present a little bit of a straw man argument here. The notion that most of these cases are due to someone in some sort of emergency situation where they cannot hold it is false and nobody is claiming that exceptions in these rare cases should not be allowed. However most people can hold it and can wait their turn in line. Stadiums heck even the restrooms at ATL commonly have lines and people wait. Are you suggesting when there is a line at the public restrooms at ATL, I can proceed into the Skyclub without paying and use theirs, or employee restrooms? At the sports stadium when there is a huge restroom lineup I can just march into the private boxes and use theirs? Of course not.
It will always be a "straw man" because you don't know who does and who doesn't have an issue (and there's no way for an FA to really verify it either). Also, my own view is that I'll go where the line is shorter so I spend less time standing up, and thus less time out of my seat unbuckled where I risk falling over and getting injured due to hitting unexpected turbulence while I am standing in the aisle. One doesn't have to worry about that in the airport terminal, sports stadium, etc. but it is a real factor on a jet at 35,000 ft. You may not like that line of thought, but oh well.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by sprika
Literally asking for a friend...I searched for something more closely related, but they were all outdated...so even though this is kind of the opposite to the original situation- this thread seemed most appropriate. I gifted my friends 2 AS upgrades so they could fly in F for the first time. I recently asked one of them how it was, and was baffled by her response. Apparently, after reaching cruising, the pilot came out for a break to use the lav. My friend really "had to go" and was anxiously watching the seat belt sign and the lav occupied sign. The pilot came out and lingered for a while in the galley. Since the lav occupied sign was now off, another pax approached the FA to use the facilities and was told to use the lavatory in the back (we're not sure if this pax was from Y or F). My friends were sitting in row 1, so the heard the whole thing. After hearing this, my friend got up and used the lav in the back too. When she came back to her seat, she was very loudly chastised by the FA who said, "I tried to tell you, but you got up and left too quickly--- but you are supposed to remain seated while the pilot is out of the cockpit". My friend was really embarrassed- now were all wondering--- why the mixed messages? Why did the FA have to be so loud about it? Since when is that the policy? Is that true for only F class? Anyone have any thoughts?
I don't think that's an actual rule. You are not supposed to cross the galley when it is blocked off (usually with a beverage or food cart) because the pilot is using the lav. However, there is no rule that you can't go away from the galley towards the back of the plane.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:42 pm

It will always be a "straw man" because you don't know who does and who doesn't have an issue (and there's no way for an FA to really verify it either). Also, my own view is that I'll go where the line is shorter so I spend less time standing up, and thus less time out of my seat unbuckled where I risk falling over and getting injured due to hitting unexpected turbulence while I am standing in the aisle. One doesn't have to worry about that in the airport terminal, sports stadium, etc. but it is a real factor on a jet at 35,000 ft. You may not like that line of thought, but oh well.
Except you are clearly using one in a million scenarios to justify your behavior, so it isn't a reasonable line of thought regardless of whether I like it or not.

Face it, it is entirely reasonable to ask people to wait in line for the restroom, we do it all the time in our society. The point is you do whatever you please. Just own it and stop using bad logic to justify it. Because some people can't hold it, or you might have unexpected turbulence at 35,000 feet, I go where there is no line, ect., are not reasonable arguments. "I do what I want.", however is a valid reason for your actions, just own it! I can't argue with that.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.