Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

PSA: ATC has closed LGA to incoming traffic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

This seems to be a result of the government shutdown, but LGA has been reported as currently closed to inbound flights. The might also be ATC slowdowns/delays at EWR and PHL too. So far, I haven't heard of any impact at JFK. I would expect delays in departures from LGA too, but so far there's no announcement on this.

SO, if you have any DL flights in this area, you might want to immediately call DL and try to reroute or reschedule.

Remember that DMs can SDC to co-terminals, so trying to get a flight to/from JFK might be the best option for now unless you can postpone or cancel the trip.

I haven't heard anything about how long this is expected to last. Perhaps just until the next shift reports to work, or maybe just for a couple hours until some additional qualified air traffic controllers can be rounded up, either called in during a scheduled day off or flown in from elsewhere. OTOH, perhaps until the shutdown ends.

Xeno likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Best place is to look at FAA website. PHL experiencing longest delays, followed by EWR and then LGA. All due to "staffing shortages"

The FAA ,map is real-time and a good & useful tool in general.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Holy moly
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:25 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
hearing a lot of conflicting info here, from "all traffic halted" to "traffic management plan"
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
I know these people are not getting paid at the moment...but I really hoped air traffic controller "give-a-f@ck" was a little higher than your average govt employee. Scary.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by pgh234
I know these people are not getting paid at the moment...but I really hoped air traffic controller "give-a-f@ck" was a little higher than your average govt employee. Scary.
A month into the shutdown, they should all go home, close down the airspace and get the someone in Washington to wake up and do their job
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
https://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

LGA has inbound traffic management but the ground stop was lifted.
PHL and EWR both have gate hold/taxi departure delays for traffic management for airspace, due to the same controller staffing shortage.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Maybe off-topic, but what's going on in Atlanta? Flights are getting delayed on the outbound; FAA site says it is due to taxi volume. See WX issues all the time, or even runway closure issues, but I've never seen this at Atlanta (beyond being relatively generous on apron space, Delta being the 800 pound gorilla at the airport they proactively manage apron space and hold flights at the gates if needed).
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
ATL is currently RED on that map, meaning arrival and departure delays exceeding 45 minutes.

BTW, I think DL might be rationing flights into NYC. From MSP, I noticed that the afternoon departures to EWR have posted delays, while flights to LGA with late morning departures are delayed about an hour while afternoon flights are still posted as being on time. This would make sense since more buiness travelers want LGA than EWR. [Depite what local media are saying, the early morning flights were on time into both LGA and EWR.]
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:55 am

There was a ground stop for aircraft inbound to LGA, which then transitioned into a ground delay program (GDP). There were most definitely delays this morning for departures out of JFK, specifically those going south through the affected airspace (DC and JAX centers). Multiple 75-90 minutes taxis to the runway for southbound flights.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
A month into the shutdown, they should all go home, close down the airspace and get the someone in Washington to wake up and do their job

I've had similar thoughts. If TSA and ATC were not considered essential services, and all air travel was shut down, I don't think a government shutdown would last more than 24 hours, if it ever happened at all.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:05 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Glad I am not flying today....next week to Miami but it is not an essential trip.

Nancy and Chuck you out there....hello!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by ethernal
Maybe off-topic, but what's going on in Atlanta? Flights are getting delayed on the outbound; FAA site says it is due to taxi volume. See WX issues all the time, or even runway closure issues, but I've never seen this at Atlanta (beyond being relatively generous on apron space, Delta being the 800 pound gorilla at the airport they proactively manage apron space and hold flights at the gates if needed).
Hate to quote my own post but it looks like it was a classification error - it has been tagged now to staffing issues too (from VOL:MULTI-TAXI to STAFFING).

Not sure if this is due to knock-on effects from all the ATL flights that fly through the Northeast ATC corridor or there are issues with ATC in Atlanta as well.

edit: updated again to reflect staffing issues at ZJX. Looks like the whole system is starting to melt down today as we're now talking about multiple ATC centers. @MoDs: Assuming this can stay on topic and not move into Omni territory - can we get the post tagged to include ATL given the issues with the Jacksonville ARTCC?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SSF556
Glad I am not flying today....next week to Miami but it is not an essential trip.

Nancy and Chuck you out there....hello!
Pelosi doesn't fly commercial; she insists on that big government supplied private jet.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Pelosi doesn't fly commercial; she insists on that big government supplied private jet.
^^fake news.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ked-commercia/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.