Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Paid upgrade option not showing up for international segment

Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:39 pm
ZCY
Original Poster

I booked Premium Select for my AUS-DTW-PEK trip and was offered the option for a paid upgrade for the domestic segment.
But I don't see such an option for the international part. The booking class is W for AUS-DTW and G for DTW-PEK.
And I got complimentary upgrade to FC on AUS-DTW segment two days ago.
Any chance something will show up when I check in on the app?
Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by ZCY
Any chance something will show up when I check in on the app?
There's always a chance, but typically Delta likes to "preserve the integrity" of Delta One tickets and doesn't sell discounted upgrades (since they want people to pony up the big bucks for the full D1 fare). You can always call up Delta and see what the fare difference is (but it is likely $4k+). You can also ask if there's any mileage upgrades available.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:49 pm
ZCY
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hi55us
There's always a chance, but typically Delta likes to "preserve the integrity" of Delta One tickets and doesn't sell discounted upgrades (since they want people to pony up the big bucks for the full D1 fare). You can always call up Delta and see what the fare difference is (but it is likely $4k+). You can also ask if there's any mileage upgrades available.
Thanks. Yes the fare difference is indeed ~$4k.
Can I assume the mileage upgrade (if there is) will cost a lot of miles since the fare difference is lots of money?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by ZCY
Thanks. Yes the fare difference is indeed ~$4k.
Can I assume the mileage upgrade (if there is) will cost a lot of miles since the fare difference is lots of money?
For TPAC flights the recent mileage upgrade awards from PE (which your G fare indicates) to D1 have cost 45,000 SkyMiles; that’s in one direction, not round trip. That’s what I was quoted in December for a MSP-HND-MSP trip. The flights to Asia seem to be quite full, plus DMs with GUCs take precedence over mileage awards for the upgrades. You have to call to ask about availability.

I was waitlisted for the upgrades in both direction but did not get upgraded.

Last edited by CarmenOM; Jan 24, 2019 at 6:08 pm
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Delta Mileage Upgrade Awards

Mileage upgrade awards are fixed amounts depending on fare class, but there's no guarantee that upgrade award bucket availability will open up. You need to call to check on availability and can waitlist if it's not open. Previous reports have indicated 45K miles for one-way upgrade on PAG fares to Northern Asia as indicated on Wiki above.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CarmenOM

For TATL flights the recent mileage upgrade awards from PE (which your G fare indicates) to D1 have cost 45,000 SkyMiles; that’s in one direction, not round trip. That’s what I was quoted in December for a MSP-HND-MSP trip. The flights to Asia seem to be quite full, plus DMs with GUCs take precedence over mileage awards for the upgrades. You have to call to ask about availability.

You mean TPAC, not TATL.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
You mean TPAC, not TATL.
Thanks for catching that. I’ve corrected it.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:25 pm
ZCY
Original Poster

Really appreciate the information!
There are still 14 seats left on my flight. So I just called and got cleared for 45k miles to D1. Miles well spent!
Very excited.
Duke787, hi55us and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:29 pm
ZCY
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CarmenOM

For TPAC flights the recent mileage upgrade awards from PE (which your G fare indicates) to D1 have cost 45,000 SkyMiles; that’s in one direction, not round trip. That’s what I was quoted in December for a MSP-HND-MSP trip. The flights to Asia seem to be quite full, plus DMs with GUCs take precedence over mileage awards for the upgrades. You have to call to ask about availability.

Thank you for the help!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:30 pm
ZCY
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
Delta Mileage Upgrade Awards

Mileage upgrade awards are fixed amounts depending on fare class, but there's no guarantee that upgrade award bucket availability will open up. You need to call to check on availability and can waitlist if it's not open. Previous reports have indicated 45K miles for one-way upgrade on PAG fares to Northern Asia as indicated on Wiki above.
Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:11 pm

Glad you got the upgrade!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: DL SM, DL Amex Plat, Hilton Silver
Trying to get W->D1 on a JFK-EDI flight (have D1 for the return). Last I checked via Twitter they wanted 231k miles. Hilarity... Do they ever do $ at the gate to buy up? When I was doing PHL-GLA back in 2014 on AA I could buy-up at the gate from main cabin to biz for like $600.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by griffy208
Trying to get W->D1 on a JFK-EDI flight (have D1 for the return). Last I checked via Twitter they wanted 231k miles. Hilarity... Do they ever do $ at the gate to buy up? When I was doing PHL-GLA back in 2014 on AA I could buy-up at the gate from main cabin to biz for like $600.
231,000 miles? Do you have an award ticket, so that this would the number of additional miles needed to cancel it and get a D1 award ticket? Otherwise, this would be saying that the fare difference is about $2310 one way, which would probably mean upfaring to something higher than Z class (cheapest D1 fare class). How full is the cabin? In fact, what sort of tickets is DL currently selling for your flight?

DL isn't AA.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: DL SM, DL Amex Plat, Hilton Silver
Yes, Award. 6 seats available. I class, not Z. So yes, this all explains it. Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by ZCY
Really appreciate the information!
There are still 14 seats left on my flight. So I just called and got cleared for 45k miles to D1. Miles well spent!
Very excited.
Curious as to when your flight is scheduled for? I have not heard of many people clearing directly into the mileage upgrade award, they almost always get waitlisted (that has been my experience as well). Understanding this timing could be helpful in understanding when Delta starts to open up this award space.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.