Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leaving with 6 empty seats in F

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MikeNYC1
When my flight a few days back left with two empty C+ seats and people on the list (with ample time to process them), I complained to DL on Twitter. The next day I got a phone call from the local Station Manager that they were going to look into what happened with the GAs. So, definitely let DL know, as they do seem to care when that happens.
Same. I complained upon landing to a Red Coat when I found out my F seat had gone to a nonrev who was a friend of the ATL GA.

Received a call an hour later from the landing Station Manager apologizing profusely and offering a boatload of miles as well as saying he would personally investigate and follow up with GA.

They don't mess around, and they shouldn't.

OP, please please please report this.

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I don't think that would go well at all, and the most likely scenario is that the FA tells you to go back to your seat in the main cabin.
I have never done it (if I was on the UG list I would be waiting by the podium and asking the GA for my new BP) but I would only do this if I was #1 .

I would imagine FA would have a hard time declining #1 who is a DM moving to one of SIX empty F seats.

Having said that, I recently flew D1 LAX-JFK and nicely asked to swap seats with a gentleman who nicely agreed. Then, the GA bringing the paperwork on admonished us, saying seat swaps were not allowed and she would have to delay the flight and go back out and officially change the seat assignments and reprint the paperwork, claiming liability issues with D1 seats.

The FA came over after she de-planed and said we could change no problem, but the gentleman didn't want to change anymore after the diatribe from the GA. Life went on, but still annoying.
MSPeconomist and wxman22 like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:34 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In theory, isn't someone now able to indicate whether they want to request the "upgrade" to a middle C+ seat or not?
OK, maybe, but, the GA is rushing to get the plane out on time . . . . There are 25 open C+ middle seats, and there are 50 people on the UG list. I don't see a harried GA bothering to look up everyone's information to deal with this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: DL DM
In my case it was an aisle-middle together in C+ that left empty.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: Delta, United
FWIW I was on recent flight were the GA did not process the UG. I did not ask at the gate about the UG not being processed as we were 3 and 4 for three seats and had descent C+ seats. So I decided to see what would happen. In the end the flight went out with empty seats, so no shenanigans. While in the air I sent in a complaint via the app.

Fast forward a couple of days and I received a reply. I was fully expecting the canned reply. Which I got, except it was for another flyer's complaint. About the only detail they got right was my name and my account number. That bothered me more than the UG not being processed. So I sent it off to executive offices of Gil West. I'll update if I get a reply.
kthomas and wxman22 like this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:59 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
5 gate upgrades and still closing the door with 3 empty F seats SJC-LAS this morning.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Zorak
5 gate upgrades and still closing the door with 3 empty F seats SJC-LAS this morning.
Please report this to DL and complain, even if you got one of the upgrades. How many were on the upgrade list when the flight departed?
kthomas likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: DL, UA
Please report this to DL and complain, even if you got one of the upgrades. How many were on the upgrade list when the flight departed?
None ...
OHDL1 and Fly_Delta_Jets like this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Gold
A few weeks ago, the F seat next to went out empty (40+ remained on the upgrade list). I emailed DL and actually got a call apologizing and telling me they'd inform the station manager.
kthomas likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
You misunderstood -- *after* clearing 5 upgrades at the gate (and I saw at least one NRSA BP in a pile at the scanner when I boarded), there were still 3 empty seats remaining. I was upgraded at the DM window.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Life Plat, HHonors DM
Originally Posted by WidgetKid
Were they 2 middle seats? Personally if that was the case, I don't see that as nearly as much of a problem as sending F seats out empty. Many folks prefer to keep aisles or windows in the main cabin as opposed to middles in comfort and quite frankly, I can't blame a gate agent for not calling up everybody on the C+ list to see if they want a middle seat.
I just had this happen. The GA in MSP called me up to see if I wanted to change an aisle exit for a middle C+. First time I have ever been asked, although I am usually pretty proactive and take myself off the C+ list if I see only centers open. On this one, I thought there were enough in C+ that would get moved up to first to give me a chance at one of their seats, presumably an aisle or window.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Ok....is this a complaint or an observation?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Last night, our IAD>ATL MD90 flight went out late with two empty F seats and an F list of 39.

Four pax got upgrades, out of six available. App was still showing 2 F seats available after takeoff and a big F list. Not sure what happened or why the seats went out empty. We were booked into bulkhead 1C/1D.

Flight was delayed an hour due to late arrival. They rushed the plane back out because of multiple tight ATL connections and we arrived at 10:40PM, where many missed their connections and a bunch had to go get accommodations.

Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by OHDL1
Ok....is this a complaint or an observation?
Just an observation. Not something I see a lot. Not entirely surprised on this route and time, but still.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Man, I don't get this. If I saw myself from 1-6 with 6 open seats there's no way I would board without an explanation from the GA. Heck, I check with them when I am 1 or 2 for 0 seats. Can't believe there were 6 people that just didn't care to raise an argument! But good for them. The big seat is the WHOLE reason I chase DM (not to downplay the other bennies).
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:00 pm

I'm newly minted Medallion Silver (Lucky me?) I'm flying on DL 3586 Saturday, which shows 6 FC seats available. When I checked in on the on-line app, it said, "This Flight not eligible for upgrade" or something to that effect. I'm traveling with my spouse who has no status, so wondering if that's the reason?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.